USB Host -> connect multiple devices through usb hub?

Is it possible to connect multiple devices to the USB Host port by using a USB Hub?

If not, would it be possible to add this in a firmware update?

1 Like

It doesnā€™t work at the moment - even with just a single device plugged into a hub thatā€™s plugged into the Host port, so not sure if there is some kind of limitation going on there thatā€™s stopping it from seeing the USB device thatā€™s on the other side of the hub.

Iā€™ve tested the same hub and device on my laptop, and that works fine via the hub there. But obviously itā€™s a much bigger system and codebase, so there could be all sorts of magic going on there.

I have read (but never used one, so canā€™t confirm) that the Retrokits RK006 USB host supports devices off of a USB hub, so maybe look there if you fancy it.

Thanks. Will keep it with my mio4 then.

Would be nice if it could be implemented in a firmware update though! :slight_smile: I think Deluge did exactly that, IIRC.

Itā€™s possible itā€™s comingā€¦

I donā€™t know much about USB MIDI implementation, but this possibly is related?

Theyā€™re related, in that they are both related to USB MIDI connections, but addressing virtual cables over a single USB MIDI connection is a totally different issue than enabling multiple USB MIDI connections connected via USB hub.

Maybe @Thibault_Squarp can speak to whether connecting multiple USB MIDI devices via USB hub will be supported!

Fair enough. I did warn you I didnā€™t know what I was talking about.

for those, coming to this topic, not familiar with the terminology, let me add some backgroundā€¦ as it can get confusing !

usb hubs and midi usb hubs/routers are from a tech perspective very different.

usb hub support
this would allow multiple usb devices to be plugged inā€¦ and then we would select the usb device for (e.g.) a track - this is what the OP was requesting.
Id like to see this added :slight_smile:

from a tech/dev perspective, usb hub support needs explicit coding in firmwareā€¦ they donā€™t just work ā€˜invisiblyā€™ā€¦ as they (mostly) do from a users perspective.

usb midi hub/routers, allow you to connect multiple midi device to it, but are seen by the host (hapax in this example) as ONE deviceā€¦ and hence will work with hapax (unlike a usb hub)

of course, the question is ā€¦ how to you then address the devices that are connected to this midi hub?
well the simplest way, often, is to use midi channels. and this will work with the hapax.

however, this means we are limited to 16 channels.
so the usb midi protocol has 16 ā€˜virtual cablesā€™ , which now means we have 16x16 channels.
and we can use these virtual cables to route to different devices on the midi hub.
(some also call these cables - ports, as they appear on most OSs as separate midi devices, but its cable number in the midi spec, so there is a bit of a terminology issue here)

I have raised this all with Squarp a while ago :slight_smile:

for my general use-case (with mioXM) , using midi channels is okā€¦ the main issue is with my Virus TI , which is 16 part multi-timbral, so would use all 16 channels, but in practice, I tend to only use 4-8, so its ok.
however, the bigger issue is MPEā€¦ here a single instrument will use all 16 channels. generally this is a problem for me, when using DAWs as I have different MPE instruments on different tracks, and I need to be able to switch between them,

so yeah, Id love to see these virtual cables supported by Hapax as well :slight_smile:

(I actually mention this on my first hapax video)

2 Likes

Unless iā€™m misunderstanding you, I have a similar ā€œissue.ā€ However, what Iā€™ve done is connect the Hapax B DIN out directly to my Alesis in (and the alesis out is hooked into the MioXM so it can control other devices; no other device will control my alesis) ā€“ that way I have all 16 channels for the alesis on Midi B, but still have Midi A, C, and/or USB for all my other devices.

If Iā€™m misunderstanding, Iā€™ll delete this comment later :wink:

sureā€¦ this is an optionā€¦
but I use mioXM so that I can control this centrally when Im not using the Hapax.
indeed, if you alway use the Hapax, then you can choose to use it as a router as well.

so, Ive no issue with workaroundsā€¦ and I just choose whats I find has least compromises for what Im doing.

so really just an illustration of why having virtual cables over USB can be useful (beyond MPE which perhaps a bit niche :wink: )

Has this been implemented yet? If not, is it on the table?

No, but we plan to address this in the future

12 Likes

Thatā€™s great to hear Thibault! :+1:

Hi @Thibault_Squarp,
Iā€™m new here and looking to see if Hapax can be my next purchase. I have several synths (7 at the moment) using USB MIDI, connected to a powered USB hub, which connects to my Mac. Now I want to go the DAW-less route. Is the Hapax nowadays able to connect with USB MIDI to my synths through my powered USB hub (RSHTECH RSH-A10S)?
Thanks!

Hi @fritzzz ,

Unfortunately, this is not yet supported.

Thanks @Thibault_Squarp. Is it on the roadmap though? For short or long term? Thanks!

It is planned, but more on the long term Iā€™m afraid

1 Like

Ok. Thanks for not getting my hopes up too high :slight_smile:

Oh, this sucks. I was all excited today after finally setting up my synth wall, running USB cables over to a hub I can switch between my Mac and my Hapax, testing it all out on my Mac and then connecting it to the Hapax and ā€¦ crickets.

The best option so far seems to be this (at least for 3 synths): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFFQGB33/. I can hook it up to Hapax over USB and send the three out ports to the MIDI ports on the synths.

Yeah, this is a big miss for the hapax in modern setups. I have 5+ devices that are multi-timbral and there goes all of my ports. MPE devices require an entire connection, too.

I used to have my akai force and MPC hooked up through usb and it is awesome.

But, there are a couple of other options:

MioXM and XL. They can handle usb and din devices and handle routing. You can connect up to 6 ports out and 4 in between the mio and hapax (din+usb host and device) and have plenty of (non multi-timbral) chains to route stuff. With the MIO you can connect the PC through network for switching between.

A simpler/less expensive but still flexible option is this:

The basic setup lets you use it as an 8 port midi usb interface and with a bit of coding you could do much more complicated stuff. It could even support rtpmidi but I havenā€™t gotten around to adding ethernet and trying that.

There other options as well like the bome box, retrokits rk-006, mrcc and blokas midihub.

If you get something from amazon, make sure you test it under load. I got some midiplus interfaces that would seem fine and then choke under load.

Did you find a solution? Iā€™m in the same boat