RAMPLE! New stuff from Squarp

Looking at the tags, I’m guessing it’ll be rackmount, but I hope there’ll be a desktop version. I was thinking over the last week that I’d love a sampler in the same vein as an EMU, but more user friendly. Stay away from a sequencer, just let it be a pure sampler. I love the Pyramid, and having a sampler the same size and less cumbersome to use than my 6400 Ultra would be amazing. Gigging with a Squarp sampler would be killer. Despite the few things the Pyramid can’t do that I’d like it to, it’s still the best sequencer I’ve ever used.

Yep, I’d go for that too. A companion unit with the Pyramid would be equally awesome.

i think you have it right with RAM-ple, playing samples from RAM means no perceptible latency regarding playback or changing of loop points etc. pair this high speed with the properties of analogue cv and you have a unique selling proposition – hence the quite nerdy name: the RAM is what sets it apart. (are there other eurorack samplers that are super fast? the tiptop one ist playback only i think, maybe something from erica synths?)

Hermod is sorta like a cut down version of Pyramid, for eurorack…could easily see the Rampler being put out for eurorack first and then using the same basics in a desktop version down the road. they’re, afaik, still a relatively small team so trying out ideas/etc on a smaller run (eurorack) of a device would make more sense before trying to do a larger run (desktop) version.

Hopefully it’s a MPC style groovebox including analog filters and summing, hardware transposing and 8 individual outputs :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Whatever it is, I hope it was designed with particular thought toward deep and friendly integration with Pyramid and Hermod. Because a powerful sampler module designed specifically to be easy to control with Pyramid would be an insta-buy for me. Would be cool if they released a Pyramid firmware update and instrument map for easy Rample integration when it launches, too. I’m thinking aspects like ensuring its important modulation controls map to parameters that are available to PyraOS MIDI FX, or perhaps some aspect that will finally make Pyramid’s CV IO useful.

is squarp at namm showing rample ?

1 Like

i hope it´s basically a hermod but with sampling capabilities, meaning you can load your sound in it and sequence it directly in the rample

Unlikely , why would they compete with themselves :wink:

I guess they weren’t at NAMM and now will wait till NAMM hype dies down - I guess we will see at superbooth ( squarp has attended in the past)

makes sense, but they are letting the hermod die anyway, as they clearly stated that they are not willing to add any new feature, but just fix the bugs. it´s a survival strategy, they can´t live with just 1 module and 1 sequencer. so in my view it could just be the successor of the hermod but with another name. i´m really curious anyway

seriously?

fact: last year they had 4 updates, 3 which contained new features (last one in October)
this included adding the midi looper, multi track recording, new transpose options.

… also bug fixes are important, and not to be taken for granted (Ive a few things which have bugs that remained for years!)

anyway… i see no evidence its going to have any sequencing, perhaps some internal sequencing (ala elektron parameters locks?) but even that i think is doubtful.
Im hoping this is Squarp branching out into something completely new :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes, seriously, here´s the fact directly from squarp admin, which you can read directly in this thread Questions to SQUARP on updates

Hi bitbin,

As said earlier we do not plan to add new features to Hermod. We read with great care all user suggestions. Some of these are relevant but we can’t add new features for now, and probably forever. That been said, we already did and we will continue to fix reported bugs. We are currently working on it in order to release a new Hermod OS version as soon as possible.

So, to summarize :

a) no, only updates for bug fixes and small adjustments.

b) yes, of course.

c) we don’t have a date yet, but it’s our main priority.

Thanks for your understanding,

that’s a post from Aug 2018…
as I pointed out, they have posted various updates that’s included feature updates during 2019.

Squarp used to be active on this (and the previous) forum, and they used to talk about possible enhancements, road maps etc.
but they got ‘burnt’ ,
even though they delivered on lots of new features (and fixes), some were never happy, always asking for more… not respecting that everything has boundaries, and when squarp responded, it was not possible/feasible … people would argue with them, or start saying things like ‘every other sequencer has this’, ‘its not usable without X’

it was endless, and pretty tiresome.

squarp were on a hiding to nothing, so like many developers they :

• became quiet on the forum
  • made statements about the hermod and pyramid to try to limit users expectations
  • stopped talking about future updates
  • asked for all support/feature requests to be made via the contact form

many understandably, did not not like this change (it’s been discussed to death on this forum)
but in my opinion it was inevitable given the flak they were taking despite actually supporting their products well, and issuing quite a lot of updates.

of course, people can point to company/product X, that ‘does better’ , has more updates, is more responsive, but there are also many companies that do hardly any updates.

so yeah imho… neither Hermod or Pyramid is ‘dead’ as you point out, they are getting updates as needed. these updates will naturally become less frequent and with less new features, as the product are now more mature, so perhaps reaching ‘feature complete’ state.

(Squarp have said Pyramid is ‘complete’ as it is now bound by memory/cpu… but they still managed to squeeze a few things extra out of it :wink: )

anyway proof is in the pudding…
Ive a pyramid and a hermod, and I’ll not hesitate to get a RAMPLE if its interesting… as I know Squarp will do a good job supporting it.

10 Likes

No news for weeks, this teaser is quite annoying.

2 Likes

Thankfully seems most of those people have gone, not surprised and good riddance :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think something in the sampling realm with the same sort of powerful view as the Pyramid takes to sequencing could be really interesting. If it’s purely modular I will be much less interested, not a route I want to explore (possibly virtually, Bitwig Grid etc), but desktops with modular connections (recent Behringers for instance) are fine … and my Gotharman LD-3 has lots of CV connections I don’t use.
Rample could have some things in common with LD-3?

The Rample teaser is gone from the website! Spooky!

perhaps getting closer to release?
I’d think its likely they’ll want to release or show it at Superbooth (End April), though they are not currently listed as an exhibitor.

They revealed it on the website. 4 voice eurorack sample player and audio processor

3 Likes

read more link is broken :slight_smile:

looks interesting… odd decision about the midi input, but means more control without lots of cv jacks.
bit disappointed it doesnt have audio input.

perhaps the ‘usp’ will be in the ‘audio effects and editing tools’ - perhaps some funky things like we have with hermod/pyramid? (e.g built in euclid fx)

1 Like