Questions to SQUARP on updates

Dear Squarp,

Given the on-going feedback on current functionality and desires for future updates, would you be kind enough to let the community know :

a) will there be any updates to Hermod with new features as discussed in the Wishlist forum
b) will known bugs be worked upon and be fixed?
c) when can we expect to see the above?

The reason I ask is because you seem to respond by saying there are no updates for Hermod in the future. I think it is only fair to let users know what the plans are as requested above so we can make an informed decision about keeping the units.

Thank you in advance

M

3 Likes

The last update was in June so I wouldn’t be to worried about future bug fixes. Fixing a bug can take a while if it’s hard to reproduce.

I’m pretty sure they can add a few wishes, but imho their priority should be fixing existing bugs before rolling out new features.

I’ve found Hermod to work very well and it already does 10x more than other sequencers so I guess it’s up to the individual to sell or not. I am personally more interested in making music with it as is rather than dwell on a potential update.

The last update was in June so I wouldn’t be to worried about future bug fixes.

• Im not worried, please re-read my original post.

Fixing a bug can take a while if it’s hard to reproduce.

• I guess so, I presume you are talking from experience? Out of interest which bugs have you fixed? Im intrigued.

I’m pretty sure they can add a few wishes, but imho their priority should be fixing existing bugs before rolling out new features.

• Im glad you’re sure, but my message was to them to ascertain exactly.

I’ve found Hermod to work very well and it already does 10x more than other sequencers so I guess it’s up to the individual to sell or not. I am personally more interested in making music with it as is rather than dwell on a potential update.

• Please do continue on creating music, I am looking forward to hearing from Hermod on this matter as per my original post.

Thanks for your input Zjin but I am more interested in hearing from Hermod on the matters I have raised. Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess it’s up to Squarp to answer your questions then.

Yes I have been beta testing various modules and can assure you that a good bug report with steps to reproduce a bug goes a very long way to fixing it :).

Yes, Hermod can already do a lot of things, that’s why we bought it, sometimes we encounter a few bugs, it was worse at the beginning, I’m sure these ones will be fixed, many of them have been fixed in the latest update. The Hermod Firmware Wishlist is full of great expectations, I have requested many of these improvements and of course lots of them are not vital… But I hope at least the UX and workflow wishes (state recall, auto save, etc) are planned in a next update (?), these ones are essential, not only for me. It would be sad to see this module/modular brain left without attention like an Octatrack or OP-1, I’d also like a clear statement, a wiki or blog like Brian does at Orthogonal Devices :wink:

@squarpadmin would you care to be able to answer the questions in the original post please?

Many thanks

Hi bitbin,

As said earlier we do not plan to add new features to Hermod. We read with great care all user suggestions. Some of these are relevant but we can’t add new features for now, and probably forever. That been said, we already did and we will continue to fix reported bugs. We are currently working on it in order to release a new Hermod OS version as soon as possible.

So, to summarize :

a) no, only updates for bug fixes and small adjustments.

b) yes, of course.

c) we don’t have a date yet, but it’s our main priority.

Thanks for your understanding,

1 Like

Thank you for your response and clarification in your intentions.

All the best

« we can’t add new features for now, and probably forever » the guy at ModularSquare told me the exact opposite when I bought Hermod hahaha, such a shame… anyway… it’s true that Hermod already does many things. @squarpadmin are you sure even the « state recall or preset recall » feature can’t be added in the next firmware update ? Not enough room for that ? Thanks

Edit: sad that the « internal routing options« mentioned in the wishlist will never happen

very disappointing!

I fully understand that you cannot add features forever, and some stuff from the wishlist is just unrealistic. There are, however, some fairly minor features that are essential for use (*). And I think without those the Hermod will just fade into obscurity as one of the many promising but failed products. Also not sure how this will reflect on further products.

You may consider putting the firmware OpenSource.

(*) For example more clock options. The statement from the manual that modular clocks are typically quarter notes is just wrong. It is either 16th notes (4ppqn) or 24ppqn (DinSync). It would be essential to set on pair of outputs as either 4ppqn clock with reset or as a DinSync (24ppqn and run/stop).

3 Likes

I know nothing was promised but this is very sad. Seing how good Pyramid seems to be and what other companies like Expert Sleepers are doing upgradewise this wasn’t expected. Hermod is decent at the moment, but not even having stuff like booting into your last project makes it feel half-done :confused: I know you didn’t promise anything, but I thought a small-ish company that wanted to get a good reputation in the eurorack world would try to shine with their first product and really stir up the community and make people talk.

Still, your device is nice! Keep it up.

3 Likes

Sad your leaving the development of a mod with that potential.

Hermod is already a good module, but in my opinion it has the potential for an evergreen. So many things could be added without the need for developing new hardware (which is cost intense I guess), which really would make it as an competitor to already existing modules easily.

Would have been just nice if you communicated that a little earlier, then let the Wishlist-Thread grow like this. Of course this led now to a lot of disappointment.

4 Likes

make it open source and make everybody happy

5 Likes

That is a really good idea and also ok for them if they onky want to sell the hardware but not develope further.

Yeah - booting into the last project would already make many things much more comfortable. This should be such an easy task as it only nees an option in the global settings to select the project or the option to load the last one. I hope this will happen im the category “bug fixing” as it is not a real feature that needs much time, I think.

The machine has so much potential and I read so much good things about what you did for pyramid. That was my main reason to buy hermod. Still I do believe that we will see some smaller improvements :slight_smile:

1 Like