MIDI CC to drive modulation output (not effects)

Hi,

(apologies in advance if this is a dumb question but struggling to see how to get it to work from the manual + available info)

I have an Octatrack and Hermod driving a modular system, very nice :slight_smile: I tend to do all my sequencing via Octatrack MIDI as -

• I prefer polyrhythmic sequences to modular generative
  • think the Octa is better at trig entry than Hermod (more control via P- locks, less fiddly)

So really just using Hermod for MIDI to CV conversion.

What I want to do is play a simple Octa pattern (single note, Octa MIDI trigs) but have each note played with a different modular filter level.

It feels like the right way to do this is to use Octa MIDI CC P- locks; that is, assign the Octaā€™s 6 dials to different CC numbers, and then P- lock different notes to different CC levels.

This way you can enter notes and filter levels within a single pattern on the Octa, not have to switch tracks or copy/paste stuff.

What I donā€™t see is how to translate incoming MIDI CC levels on the Hermod into voltages that could drive a filter cutoff.

I can see all the stuff about the Hermod Mod Matrix and how it can be bound to MIDI CC, but all the literature seems to be about this changing Hermod effects. I donā€™t want to change effects, I want MIDI CC changes to change a voltage / modulation output.

Does this make sense ? Is it even possible ? Or am I going to have to change my Octatrack sequencing workflow to make it work ?

TIA :slight_smile:

Thinking maybe this ?

@scratchy ?

i donā€™t own an octatrack and i donā€™t know how it works, but i think on the hermod you just need to set the ā€œinput modā€ value to the corresponding cc in the midi fx(the one you find in the first slot of the midi fx page). of course you can only have 1 cc mod per track. then route the cv out of that track to the filter cutoff. something similar to this if iā€™m not misunderastanding what you are trying to do (sending a cv out controlled by a midi cc)

each hermod track has MIDI FX as it first effect.

in there you can set the ā€™ INPUT MODā€™ , this is the CC that drives the modulation input of a MOD track
(so NOT note tracks) - it defaults to CC 1

so in your case:
each ā€˜drumā€™ on your octatrack would be put on a separate midi channel,
you can then turn up the appropriate CC for the modulation (e.g. CC1)
this gives you gate+cv from the hermod.

there is not really a way to do this on one OT trackā€¦ since this would need some kind of note to midi channel mapping which is not available (unless you use an external midi processor)

1 Like

Super ā€¦ all sounds very sensible ā€¦ will test and revert. Many thanks

@thetechnobear thinking this through, one thing Iā€™m not quite clear on.

Letā€™s say Iā€™m using Hermod track 2 for audio, driven by Octatrack MIDI channel 3 (since by default Octa MIDI channel is bound to Hermod track + 1).

Now I send some CC 1 messages (consistent with Hermod default CC) down the same MIDI channel 3.

Back on the Hermod side, I need a new track to drive my filter - letā€™s say Hermod track 3 (since track 2 is being used for audio)

So as well as setting the INPUT MOD value on MIDI FX as you describe (actually I might not need to do this as am using default MIDI CC 1), I would need to change Hermod track 3 MIDI channel mapping from 4 (its default) to 3.

And I do this via the CV OUT parameter, as described here -

Does that sound right ?

yes, this is done on the track setting - midi in

@thetechnobear works! Many thanks for your help today. I had my doubts I could get this patch to work, but in fact it works like a charm. The one slight glitch was that, just the way you have to map Hermod track X to Octatrack MIDI channel X+1, so CC X on Hermod has to map to CC X+1 on Octatrack. Itā€™s like all numbers on Hermod world start at zero (I notice CC 0 for example) but all numbers in Octa world start at one (CC 1 is first CC). Is this a known ā€œfeatureā€ ? (just in case anyone is following behind). Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.