Encoder switch issue (pre June 2022 units)

Not to frighten people on this one, as for sure I had this already quite since the beginning since at least one of the encoders, but since Iā€™m not clicking always Iā€™m not sure of this was this bad before, plus some encoders donā€™t have a click option. Or maybe the click and turn I could try to check if the problem exists on other encoders. Canā€™t be a software thing Iā€™d assume.

Did an additional check, found something strange (although logical, could be programmed like this). If you click any of the 8 left encoders and keep it pressed down, wait for a second and then release it, the function that is behind the click doesnā€™t work (for example when assigning something or in a left screen menu want to select something). When you do a quick press, the function just works. Sounds like that is meant this wayā€¦

Doesnā€™t take away that indeed the top most left response stays really bad, same but less worse on the main single one on the full right. Iā€™ll contact support for this. Still wondering if you guys experience any strange behaviour of the encoders?

See the thread that @jemmons linked Encoder knobs preventing proper switch activation and if youā€™re having issues, contact Squarp support through their email!

Great, Iā€™ll try that! Did use the search function, but this didnā€™t show up. Thanks a lot!

Hi, just wanted to report I also had the same issue, some functions work with a sort press, others need long press.

This is apart from what is mention on the other thread about the plastic encoders. I tried with no encoders on and it was the same.

I only remember for executing algos it needed a sort press. I will try to get some time tonight to check and report what function I found that requieres a long press and it would not work with a sort press.

1 Like

merged topicsā€¦

renamed topic, so when searching its a little more ā€˜obviousā€™
hopefully we can keep this all in one topic, and also new users will find the ā€˜workaroundā€™ quicker.

@andreuparri , I canā€™t remember if there is a long press vs short press difference ā€¦ (*)
if you know a reproducible use-case , it be interesting to know if in this area is deliberate (i.e. short press and long press do something different) or a bug where the click time is different.

worth reporting to Squarp via appropriate channels :slight_smile:

one thing that does spring to mindā€¦

• a ā€˜quickā€™ press is usually ā€˜reset to default valueā€™
  • a hold and turn is used for fine tuning valuesā€¦

so Id not be surprised, if you turn then encoder a ā€˜fractionā€™ as you press down for a click, this might be misinterpreted as a hold/turn rather than click.

again, if you can reproduce Id report to Squarp via the contact form

I canā€™t really say Ive noticed issues in this area on my unitā€¦ but we all do things like click at different speeds etcā€¦and might be some differences between encodersā€¦ so we have different experiences.

(*) I thought from memory this was being avoided in the UI, as it can be a tricky UX for some users.

After investigating a bit more I found in my unit:

Most of the button presses need a quite quick press, if pressed slightly longer it wonā€™t work. I think is a source of frustration, at least it was for me, since we naturally try to holding slightly longer when it failed a couple of times. (Execute algo, set note learn, bring up effects menus and select entries in the menu)

The oposite behaviour, the ones that wonā€™t work if pressed too quick are the ones that are used to rest like time, math, roll.

Not sure what the solution would be or if its actually possible but I do believe a more consistent press speed would be less confusing.

I suppose ideally they would be best if all work no matter if its quick or slow. But if this not posible then at least have them all respond to the same press speed.

I think @thetechnobear you were right in the the difference is on the command that reset to default values but it seems to be the opposite, they only work with a long enough press.

I can reproduce this very easily and it would do what Iā€™m describing pretty much 100 per cent of the time. Also from my test there isnā€™t any turning at all.

If you guys can give it a try I believe you will be able to reproduce this described behaviour as well but I can try to record a video tomorrow if needed.

Sort click, just press quick without trying to hold.
Long click, click and hold for half a sec aprox.

if you have an issue, and can describe it well, then the best course of action is to file a 'bug/feature request with Squarp via the contact form - so that they can look at improving the behaviour.

in particular, you should report if its a broad issue across all usage of encoders, or on specific menus.

really , little point in discussing it hereā€¦
a) squarp do not monitor this forum
b) no-one here can do anything about it :wink:

I donā€™t have an issue since I learned how it behaves and kind of got used too, I was only trying to help other users that came to this thread because they have issues clicking the encoders.

Yes, they can totally do something about it :wink: simply try and confirm if they get the same behaviour which Iā€™m actually quite confident they would do, because it really looks like a firmware thingy to me.

But sure, if no one is whiling to try to confirm this behaviour then tats fine, I will to squarp when and if I have time, thanks!

I think most coming to this topic, usually itā€™s the issue with the knobs being too low on the encoders, so need the paper trick.

I said forum members canā€™t do anything about itā€¦ of course, Squarp canā€¦ thats why you should report it via the contact form (and if its important enough, then Im sure youā€™ll find time)

to be clear, really, we want to give clear advice hereā€¦ rather than going off on tangentsā€¦

most coming to this topic, will be here because they encounter an issues with encoder response.
and frankly, all they want is a solution, to aid their frustrationā€¦ rather than a discussion about it.
and to also know their unit is not faulty.

following this topic, mostly this has been about non-activation due to cause in OP. Ive not seen much about variable response/click rate.
but as above, if you think this is an issue report it to squarp.

Nevermind Tecnobear, is probably my non native english not coming through clear enough. Also really time-consuming to rebate with you every single line.

I actually mention this sort/long press behaviour in another thread and you merged with this one so it doesnā€™t make much sense that now you said is not relevant.

The thing is that what I am describing might be confused by the encoders not working, but it doesnā€™t seem I was clear enough.

Also I was perfectly specific and I was asking if any other user could confirm they have the same behaviour. That was all.

1 Like

IMO, you should try the spacer trick, or at the very least try to use the encoders without the knobs on to see if that solves the problem. While itā€™s entirely possible thereā€™s another issue, itā€™s more likely that you have the exact same issue as everyone else here, and it would be good to know for sure. Regardless, be sure to contact Squarp via email, so they are aware of your issue.

Thanks Cowboy.

All test I did with no knobs, I learned how it works so it doesnā€™t confuse me much anymore.

Also the behaviour Iā€™m describing I believe is related to the functions and not to the physical encoders.

It takes very little for you guys to try.

Go to Algo, does it apply the algo if you do a long press? (just hold it for half a second). Now does it work if you press really sort?

And for reseting to default is just the oposite, it doesnā€™t work if the click is very sort?

Is literally 2 clicks to try this :sweat_smile:

There definitely seem to be differences in press times for certain things. For example, resetting the uTime, Chance, Roll, Math settings to their default values seems to require a long press, while most other things, like applying an Algo, require a short press.

Iā€™m not entirely clear on why this is the case. Perhaps Squarp intends to have different behaviors for short and long presses. Perhaps itā€™s a bug. If you email Squarp and ask them, and they respond, please let us know here. Thanks!

Thanks for confirming. Thatā€™s all I was trying to explain.

As I was saying this behaviour is really confusing and it might be confused by the encoders not working correctly if unaware.

I will post here if I get any response from squarp.

1 Like

i also have Encoder problems,
and i no longer take it that this should be due to too long knobs alone.
this is just not true in my opinion.

its a frustrating experience.
The encoder action is just a super basic functionality and has to be fluff to 100%.

did you try to put a little bit of tape or paper in the knob? I was also not sure if this would fix my issue, as the knobs donā€™t touch the plate. But itā€™s not the knob touching the plate, but touching the silver ring of the potmeter.

nevertheless, I did put a little bit of tape into the knob and now everything works 100% . All encoders 100% clicking fine.

So hopefully that works too for you

1 Like

thanks for the headsup.

i switched all knobs bevore i made my other post btw.
but true. i had to put some tape under the main Encoder, and that one is now again better.
ā€¦so, i might have been wrong.
(nevertheless, the whole press-encoder problem has created a bad feel vs. this piece of gear.
i have also buttons that donĀ“t work so good.
just as a test right nowā€¦i pressed project ~10 times, and nothing happenedā€¦
this button had previously no problems / timewise, the chnage of behave falls into, when i updated the FW. might eb astrange coincidence.
ā€¦another test, again ~10 press, nothing ! project B immediately enters whne i press it. nothing with ā€œproject Bā€ buttonā€¦then i press project A just a bit lighter, est voila. Now iĀ“m in. after something like 20 button presses ( not kidding/ was unexpected, tough)
CanĀ“t be it

i mean. i press all these buttons the way, other gear has tought me to do.
while project B button works as expected vs. ā€œmy style of pressingā€ ( i have subtle working fingers)