Encoder switch issue (pre June 2022 units)

Or am i speaking to a moderator?

I do. I’ve not had the issue yet, and if I do, I’ll probably shove some blu-tak into the bottom of the knob like I did when I had the issue with my Pyramid.

Nope. Just a punter.

1 Like

Sorry you had the issue with Pyramid. I’m just really bummed at this - and apologies in advance - probably going to sound prickly on this issue.

I really don’t want to abandon ship, but yeah, i don’t want to be resentful when the second batch of Hapax is cleared of this defect and I’m left holding the bag. I did get email back from Squarp offering to take back the unit for refund. Although the return shipping label wasn’t attached in the form… so hopefully this is not going to be a case where I get burned on a hardware purchase and have the added blow of having to pay the shipping for the manufacturer’s lack of Quality assurance.

It’s just the knob caps, though, isn’t it? It’s not causing any issues other than it’s harder to press in? Honestly, stick some blu-take or a bit of folded up paper inside and you will never think about this again.

Ok - sounds like you’re not facing my problem. That’s great for you. Congrats.

But please you shouldn’t minimize what I’m encountering. Because for me it’s every function that’s impacted by the push encoder not clicking properly.

Maybe I’m Johnny come lately on this issue and everyone’s moved on from it. But I feel totally ripped off here.

I had exactly the same issue on my Pyramid.

I’m not minimising it, I’m just trying to give you an easy and solid workaround. I honestly mean it when I say the fix above will fix it, and won’t cause you any further issues.

I hear you — it definitely isn’t a great feeling to spend a lot of money on something and have defects.

I’m new to Squarp world, but from what I understand, they are class acts when it comes to new features, bug fixes, etc. Due to their reputation for being solid, I’m willing to let it be.

I’ve also interacted with them a few times over email and their customer service is fantastic.

I think with this device, some amount of “early-adopter-finger-crossing” is necessary to truly enjoy it in it’s current state.

For me — I really need to have track mutes via external midi controller and .mid import. They’re not available yet, but exploring this thing is so much fun while I wait.

1 Like

id say many have seen it, but not all… and for some its been on some encoders not other.
fyi.my units seems ok.
that said, I suspect we are likely to see it more, as units are used more, and so the caps get naturally pushed down a bit (given they are push encoders)

no-one is saying this is ‘right’… rather there is an easy fix, so I think many are ‘ok’ with that fix.
it is not opening the hapax, rather just putting some paper in the caps… so warranty is a non-issue here.

once this is done, it will fully resolve the issue, as it allows the encoder to gain their full travel, so there is no ‘downside’.

however, if you feel strongly about then please contact Squarp directly via the contact form, and Im sure they will help you.

1 Like

Mine seemd perfect, but today I had 1 encoder that suddenly didn’t want to click that well and eventually it became harder and harder. So probably, it wasn’t 100% pushed down before, and now it is. So I put some paper in it and now it is fixed :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah, id expect this will happen over time, and I guess the encoders we press more, will happen first.

but, the paper ‘fix’ solves for good (as once done the paper wont compress anymore)
Ive actually done this on a few things on the past.

but indeed, no, its not being minimised… its an oversight, these things happen on v1.
if someone feels strongly about it, they should contact squarp directly to see what can be done.

my experience has always been thats Squarp’s support is excellent… so as always, if you have an issue, contact them first… to let them help you.

EDIT: ok, Ive updated the OP on this topic to make clear the proposed workaround.
I realised, quite early on in the topic, there were pictures of the Hapax in pieces and on a workbench… so perhaps its wasn’t clear that the ‘workaround’ does not involve taking things apart :wink:
but as above, if this is unacceptable, contact Squarp as that is where the solution will lie.

2 Likes

I had the issue and the papers trick worked for me. I was surprised actually that after applying the fix not a single click missed.
I’d recommend trying that, independently of other actions you may take later. At least you’ll be able to use all the features as expected.

1 Like

The update at start of thread is excellent — thanks for adding it!

1 Like

Mine are fine now after being reseated a couple of times and just clicked a lot. Haven’t used any paper/blutack tricks either.

No issues.

Really hope this issue is sorted for the june batch, really dont want to be spending ÂŁ800 on a unit with defective knobs, its ok saying just put some paper under them but you really shouldnt have to, hopefully squarp resolve this and send out new knobs to those who have issues.

Thanks for bearing with this new user’s woes. I didn’t expect to be axe-grinding cause of new gear.

Squarp’s offered replacement knobs for me - So I will not be returning Hapax just yet. Hopefully, those new knobs will be a lasting fix and we could put this issue to bed.

Thanks

I am a very obsessive person and I think I can say with no exaggeration that out of all the electronic music gear I have ever purchased every single one has had something wrong with it, you just have to look closely enough. I mean Every. Single. One. Some stuff has been functional and other stuff has been cosmetic. Even gear that costs $3k+ (right now I’m looking at some crooked buttons on my BiG SiX and a scuff on the top of my OB-6 that looks like the manufacturer tried to color over it with a sharpie marker). It drives me crazy but I have to make music and hardware is my favorite way to do it even if every once in a while I feel like setting fire to my whole studio lol.

I knew one guy who would take a screwdriver and scratch up his gear once he got it so he wouldn’t go crazy with minor stuff. I’m not at that point yet :-).

Putting a spacer under the knobs totally wouldn’t bother me after some of the other stuff I have experienced. It is actually not that uncommon for a synth to have a spacer between the pot/encoder shaft and the knob, or even to have something like electrical tape around the shaft for a tighter fit :-O. I have seen both on a lot of modern synths. Just the other day I was adjusting some knobs on my lyra-8 and they all have spacers between the pot shaft and the knob for example.

2 Likes

that about sums up my anxiety about opening up and modding gear

Maybe I should contact support for this, but just wanted to check if I’m an idiot or I should just definitely contact support :p.

But seriously, at least on 2 of my encoders I have a really bad (or none) response when clicking them. Mainly the most left top one and the main most right one. I can click them multiple times, but when soft pressing you do hear and feel the click, but nothing happens. Only when I put additional pressure on it, it suddenly works (obviously without an extra click feel or sound). Looks like I have a sort of strange Aftertouch on my encoders :stuck_out_tongue: (actually not funny though).

Anyone ever experienced the same? I never had such a thing on my Pyramid, which has the same encoders right?

I think reason for asking is also due to the expected response to send it back, which of course I definitely don’t want too :wink: