Your Hapax studio setups, including pics!

My little jam station.
Everything controlled by the Hapax even the TR-8S.

And what a blast it is, to noodle some jams together on the Hapax.
Not a musician, just a dude having fun: Youtube playlist of my jams

7 Likes

Same! Although, what makes someone a “musician.” I tell people, I make a lot of sounds, and sometimes they resemble music, and even more rarely, a song.

2 Likes

Found this laptop stand which fits the Hapax perfectly, great height adjustment, here I have it set above the ob6, also very solid construction, great balance and no wobble, just the right flexibility to button smash - purchased from Amazon 30$ more or less - btw hapax the brain for everything here :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Nice collection of synths!

2 Likes

I just bought this laptop stand but find it only partially useful because there is no adjustment for tilt and is only very slightly slanted toward you (makes sense for a laptop stand). I have several of these, which do not really raise the item on it, but do give you slant adjustment (they are flimsy though, which I don’t like): https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Ergonomic-Portable-Anti-Slip-Compatible/dp/B08JS9PJD7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=XGXBD3Y84KJO&keywords=laptop+stand&qid=1665411322&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjM1IiwicXNhIjoiNi4zOCIsInFzcCI6IjYuMTMifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=l%2Caps%2C81&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

1 Like

Yea the trade of with tilt adjustment is usually the sturdiness, - seen this with lots of stands over the years - in this set up the height adjustment and laptop incline on the stand are perfect for me to position the hapax above other desktop modules, but I had also been searching for something (potentially wooden, with reversible tilt e.g. low tilt / high tilt) that could hold the hapax on a desk alongside a more modular set up - something similar to some of the stands for Elektron, or Roland boutique modules - seems like none of the etsy type fabricators are making one though…

I use this, 2actually. Adapted it so the trays are at a better angle.

For ladies shoes :rofl:

I plan to buy another one of the stands you recommended for the Hydrasynth desktop and then have the octatrack sitting below it, since being on a flat surface doesn’t detract too much from it’s usefulness.

1 Like

Maybe this has already been asked elsewhere, but I could use some ideas about how to route the Hapax to my other stuff using an MRCC midi router, which will be delivered today. I bought it because I have found myself manually pulling and switching cables from the Hapax to different machines (I have many more than four synths). Do you just have Midi A out to the MRCC and the use the MRCC do all the routing? If so, how do you tell Hapax which instrument is on what channel, all going out and coming in from Midi A out and in? I assume you just assign each machine attached to the MRCC a different midi channel. I might, though, want to use more than one midi channel for a single machine on the Hapax (e.g. multitimbral). Also, for now, I plan to have my Model:Samples drum machine connected to the Hapax
separately, for simplicity. I may ask this in a different thread, but thought it makes sense here too.

I’ve done the same, a 3 tier shoe rack, with extra holes drilled to make tiers angled. Solid an cheap! :+1:

1 Like

I finally have my Hapax fully integrated into the rest of my studio after redoing all my midi and usb connections with the MRCC added. The only things not shown in the photo below are an Octatrack and an MPC One, which will get reconnected once I find space. The room is pretty small for all this stuff. I sometimes think of selling the matrixbrute but also still think it’s fun to play.

8 Likes

Nice collection of synths! What’s the Linnstrument and Hyrasynth combo like to use?

Funny you should ask; right now, I mostly use the Linnstrument for controlling the Hydrasynth. It’s really great. As noted with their keyboard versions, the Hydrasynth is clearly designed around “poly after touch,” except I kind of hate aftertouch. I never use it–you have to press the keys so hard (on my Kronos and before that on a Roland A-90) to get to the effect, I feel like I am going to break something, even when I set the sensitivity at the highest level. But with the Linnstrument, this is not a problem at all. You can leave things at Poly Aftertouch, or you can tell the Linnstrument you want to use poly channel pressure instead, which then tells the Hydrasynth to apply whatever modulations you assign to Poly Aftertouch. Also, assigning modulations to x and y axis on the Hydrasynth is super simple due to its great UI and Roger Linn designed his Linnstrument to be so playable, it really offers an “organic” and natural feel. One last thing, if you don’t already have a Linnstrument, if you do get one, and have any questions, Roger will respond to you directly (may he live forever).

Now that my studio is finally set up more or less the way I’d been imagining it for the past year, I finally feel like it has really gelled together. Last night, I was having a lot of fun delving back into the multitimbral capabilities of the JV-1080, building up (not very good) “songs” using only that instrument. I’d forgotten how vast it’s sound variations are (I paid an enormous amount of cash loading it up with four 8MB expansion cards back when it came out in the mid-nineties). It comes pre-loaded with a pretty wide variety of drum samples as well, and its great because many of the “rhythm” presets have 12 or more samples each, so you can just tell the Hapax to play a different note on a given row and easily create a subset of 8 drum sounds from whatever preset you are using. While that was playing, I was then controlling the Hydrasynth with the Linnstrument, and had immediate access to also use the Kronos to play whatever else I wanted to play, all right now! Sooo cool.

The only change I might make is to swap out the Wavestate so I have room for the MPC One and Octatrack (or sell the Octatrack since every time I use it, I have to spend time to remember all the stuff I forgot since last time I used it).

1 Like

That sounds like a really nice pairing. I’d like to try a Linnstrument and use it as partner for the Hapax. I looked at Hydrasynth but not sure I need another synth!
I looked at the new MPC’s also as used to use an MPC2000 a long time ago, but not sure it’ll work for me.
Octatrack is a great piece of kit - I hear you on the relearning every time you turn it on. When I first bought a mk1 OT in 2017, I just could get into it despite watching tutorials and receiving lessons from a pro user. I sold mine and got deep into AR and A4 instead, then when I bought another OT mk2 a few months ago I found it much easier to use straight away - you do need to get your head into for a month without interruptions, and then it’ll sink in.

1 Like

From top to bottom : TX81Z, Virus TI2, JV1080, TR8S … Still have some space for a Slim Phatty !
Everything routed into AUM on ipad

4 Likes

With the arrival of the Hapax, I’m currently restructuring my studio / live setup.

Previous setup:

While this rig was super fun and setup and teardown were super fast, the main case was stupid heavy. Plus, I was sequencing almost everything via Digitakt, pre song mode.

My new setup will be more modular / compartmentalized. So far, I’ve finished up wiring the “brain” which can be used on it’s own, as a hybrid live set / DJ performance (via ethernet Link to Pioneer CDJs), and/or as part of the larger setup with the other gear from the first pic.

The brain:

I’ve also been able to lose all the bulky power supplies and power everything via USC-C / PD GaN charger. Will likely do something similar with the next case, which will house 5-6 synths. Still trying to figure out the best method for an effects case / pedal board as I’m trying to combine racks and pedals into a single portable unit.

6 Likes

Love the setup! Are you using the internal sequencer on the SP16 or via Hapax? I feel like the swing and feel of SP16 is so good, would love to keep that swing and use the hapax at the same time.

Still fooling around - currently the Hapax sequences everything but I use the SP-16 for the clock source, which allows for easy syncing and jamming with a CDJ setup.

What I’d really like is a way to map the Livemode Drum’s 16 velocity pads to the SP-16 sample slice mode. The setup is still a work in progress and I’m still learning lots about instrument definitions and what not.

Unfortunately, you can’t midi trigger the slices. The OT just added that feature last year, it would be so killer in the SP-16.

I use my SP-16 separately and sync it all with ERM multiclock. It might be abandoned by Pioneer but the sound is too good for me to give it up.

1 Like

Finally wired it all up properly…Hapax controls everything on the desk and can control any VSTis on the screen :slight_smile:

I LOVE the Hapax, so happy to have it, it’s my dream performance sequencer.

9 Likes