Your Hapax studio setups, including pics!

[quote=“Ciaba, post:193, topic:6905”]
Maybe we should open a dedicated thread to our studio setups? I think we’re a bit off topic here :sweat_smile:
[/quote] (from the “I just ordered a Hapax” thread.

Great idea @Ciaba. This thread is intended to share Hapax-centered studio use scenarios. There are so many possibilities for the Hapax to be used with various other hardware, so it seems there is a need or good use for this kind of thread. Kind of like the “Your Setups” thread over at Elektronauts. I will be receiving my Hapax tomorrow and am still very unsure/thrilled/confused/excited about all the various ways to incorporate it into my existing studio (including 12 synths and drum machines, some of which are mono, a few are Paraphonic, and a few are multitimbral, most of which have their own sequencers, plus a couple of fx pedals and boxes, and two midi hubs, an iPad and a desktop computer). My plan is to figure out a way to put Hapax at the center of my studio (the brains) for doing DAWless stuff, but also eventually incorporating into a workflow with Logic or Bitwig. For instance, I can already see Hapax becoming my DAWless keyboard, sitting on my desk where my computer QWERTY keyboard used to be, which will now be relegated (finally) to an under-the-desk tray. I’d love to know how others have or plan to connect things together with their Hapax.

5 Likes

Nice idea - I really enjoy seeing how people use kit in different ways, and hopefully learn something as part of the process!

Here’s my relatively modest setup.

I use the the hardware - hapax sequencing the rev2 layers and 4 tracks of the analog rytm - largely dawless, and record the stems of little jams on the bluebox. I sometimes also sequence the iPad from the hapax, and use the T1 as a further midi sequencing option into and thru the hapax. I really like this workflow as it enables me to do things very quickly as i generally spend no longer than an hour on this element or phase of production - mainly due to family and work (and energy) constraints.

The stems are then imported into bitwig, and I again use to the hapax as a midi controller for new parts, or recording cc automation. My understanding of what the hapax can do with a daw is limited to say the least, and I intend to try and learn how better the integrate them, as opposed to using hapax as just a glorified midi keyboard.

Looking forward to reading how others use theirs .

11 Likes

Just unpacked my Hapax tonight.

For quick exploration, I hooked the Hapax up to the Korg Kronos in Combi Mode and the Roland JV-1080 in Performance Mode–for multitimbral sequencing of different tracks. Just these two give me 32 tracks of programs to choose from. I haven’t even touched the Korg TR-Rack or the Wavestate or any of my groove boxes for drums. Eventually, I will want to get a different midi hub–probably an MRCC. The one I have is really only useful as a 16 channel midi splitter and I only have a 2-channel midi merger, but with the Hapax, the Kronos, and the Linnstrument as dedicated and often-used midi input devices, I really need something a bit more robust. Anyway, for now, lots of fun just messing around.

10 Likes

HAPAX arrived a few days ago…
“This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!”

10 Likes

ah, an SSP … been really enjoying the Hapax with this…
as I showed on one of my very first Hapax videos… 6 months ago… wow, its been that long!

Yes, but SSP is only fun with your modules! Thanks for that!

1 Like

lol, the only way I use it :slight_smile:

Something like this…though I got my Hapax and immediately had to leave town. Can’t wait to give the rig a try!

12 Likes

gonna be messing with this for a while

12 Likes

Heaven… :innocent:

12 Likes

Nice collection of gear. What’s the patch thing on top of the table? Also, what are the two screen things with 12 rotary encoders?

Thanks!

On top is a MRCC by Conductive Labs. The two screens with encoders are Electra One’s,

Ah cool, I remember seeing the MRCC before - looks really nice. I’m using the iConnectivity MioXL, but that needs a computer to configure it whereas yours looks like it can route standalone…

The Electra One’s look nice, not sure I’d use them much in my workflow but guessing you like them if you’ve got two!

This dialog has resurrected my question about whether to get an MRCC or a MioX, which I raised in a previous thread here. Still undecided. I see advantages and disadvantages of both.

1 Like

Almost done wiring.

10 Likes

I guess they do the same thing, but the MRCC does it standalone and it arguably looks better than the MioXL. I can’t fault the Mio though, it’s rock solid and has more connectivity then I ever need.

(Never mind the mess under the table. Essentially the L2 cache for the perpetual rotation of instruments in the setup)

8 Likes

Hapax and friends (live setup)

8 Likes

@michaeljk1963 About the MRCC, it works, but I have some gripes:

• SysEx over it are a bit ‘try-and-pray’, there seems to be a difference between lower (1-6) and higher (7-12) output ports, the lower ones work, but SysEx seems to be causing some syncing issues.
  • USB (host) input ports have assymetrical ‘virtual-ports’: 4 in, and 1 out (inspired be their NDLR I presume).
  • Limited number of routes: 48 (albeit it being a rather substantial numer, I seem to hit this limit often).
  • Limited channel re-mapping configs (only 6, but each can be used more than once)
  • Saving presets can cumbersome, the system errors often (red), but retrying always seem to work at the end (green)
  • Occasional crashes.

Altough this seems a lot of ‘bad’ things, I continue to use the MRCC, as the hands on nature is better than the older iConnect MIDI4+ (predecessor of the Mio range) I have tucked away now. Of course the ammount of MIDI DIN ins (6) and outs (12) are way better than my iConnect MIDI router (ins 4 and outs 4). If 4 in and out is all you need, you might also consider the Blokas Midihub, which is brilliant I think, I have it here to ‘expand’ the MRCC with, plus it allows for creative routing as well.

I’m kind of ‘happy’ with the MRCC, but it could be improved a lot, is my feeling.

Just my 2 cents…

1 Like

Funny thing. The very last thing I was reading last night was the thread you started at the Conductive Labs MRCC Forum about the 43 route limit you’d previously hit, and now this post from you, which came to me as an email, is the first thing I am reading this morning.

I am a bit worried by all the errors and other issues the MRCC you and other users have reported. Due to these concerns, I lean toward getting the MioXL, which has roughly the same DIN ports, and more routing options, as the MRCC, but you need to use a computer to change routing, and it is not at all “hands on” which is why the MRCC appeals to me.