Your Hapax studio setups, including pics!

Absolutely love my Hapax!

10 Likes

Nice space!

1 Like

Cool man, always a nice project to treat a room. I’ve got to get my panels reupholstered so palming to sort this out shortly. I also need to install some vertical and horizontal corner traps - have got a few but it needs a little more in the room. Will have it all done in October so will post some photos soon :+1:

1 Like

I sequence Alpha Base on track 10 and channel 16, it works great. :slight_smile:

Omg :flushed:

1 Like

I had them before the hapax, find them realky good for doing drum patterns, plus it gives me an extra 4 synths i have different sound packs load in each so gives me a bit of variation. The hapax is set to control the rd8, hiding in the corner is a roland td8 electrinic drum kit, iv yet to integrate that though.

Happy to have Hapax in the flow. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

lots of nice gear and a nice studio setup!

<3

6 Likes

4 Likes

Amazon will be delivering an under the desk sliding keyboard today, which I plan to use for my Hapax. Depending on how much I like it, I might buy another one to use with my Linnstrument, which will free up room on one of my desks.

1 Like

@michaeljk1963 I may have misinterpreted what your approach is, but if it helps, I was going to do this also as am already using a sliding drawer surface from Amazon (53cm model) for a Keystep. When I tried it, the surface wasn’t deep enough (see photo below) to expose the Hapax far enough away from the edge of the desk top, and therefore accessing the top row of knobs is too tight, even when the slider is fully extended.
I ended up installing the Hapax higher up above the desk on a desk clamped monitor stand with a laptop plate attached to it, which I think works better. It’s pretty solid and the surface plate is adjustable for left and right swing arm direction and plate angle - I may swap it for a spring loaded height adjustable arm but not sure yet.

6 Likes

I use one of these ,it’s adjustable , made by flexispot

I replaced the tray with a metal laptop stand plate

4 Likes

Hi,

here is where my Hapax sits. Hapax for midi messing, OT for audio messing (and a bit of midi too because it’s good at it ^^)
There will be behind the desk a large window with a superb view of the surrounding countryside next spring.

9 Likes

I came to the same conclusion as you with the Hapax sitting on the slide out tray. It’s just as well, really, since I can just put my computer keyboard and mouse there now, which will leave more room on the desktop for the Hapax and OT. I will put both of those on the desk on top of an adjustable slanted stand, and then I’ll be at a better position to seek the small buttons (and better ergonomics).

This may be one of those, “that’s a good problem to have,” but I have already found it to be confusing to remember which midi ports go to which external instruments, when I have them directly connected to the Hapax. I also don’t want to limit myself to choosing sounds from “only” four external hardware sources, when I have many more available, including at least three or four that could each act as a drum source as well. So, I am back to considering picking up an MRCC midi router, so I can label each of the outs on the MRCC and then manually switch midi outs there. I hate to add any more complexity to my setup but am not sure how to attain my goals of having easier access to more devices and knowing where things are going when I want to switch out sources. With the Hapax, this is really the first time that I’ve had the capability to easily switch between different hardware sound sources using the same midi pattern on the fly, without the convolution of time suck of trying to make it work inside a DAW or using the not very great UI of the Akai MPC One I also have (which is pretty much like using a DAW in a lot of ways).

3 Likes

Just put everything back together in the studio after having new windows installed, so tried out a new layout which seems to be much better than the last arrangement. Hapax and Analog Heat recently added to the equipment list. Will be recovering the wall panel next as the space is looking a little plain in the daylight.

6 Likes

That’s quite a mixer you have!

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a big one and quite complex in terms of routing! I route all separate voices from the synths into their own channels so I can get full control of eq and fx. There’s internal fx onboard, 4 external fx loops going to the iPad, stereo inserts to the Analog Heat + group outs that feed the Octatrack, so the functionality is well used :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re making good use of all those options. I envy your capacity for space. I just bought a new mixer last year to replace a mixer that had lasted over 20 years. I ended up getting a 16 channel mixer (previous one was 12) which has useful, but limited aux outs and returns, which I run through two outboard effects pedals. Mine doesn’t have internal effects, though.

1 Like

Hopefully you’ve got a good compromise with your latest mixer :slight_smile:

Yes, lucky on the space as it’s a dedicated room - size is approx. 4.5m x 2.5m.
I had to think long and hard about the mixer as didn’t want to compromise on routing options and future proofing + didn’t want to have to re-route the cabling every time I had a change of synth set up.
I had a 16ch Mackie VLZ4 mixer and then an A&H ZED mixer in the past, but as the set up grew, so did the mixer :laughing: