Sysex messages through Hapax

I am trying to send sysex through Hapax to a TX81Z, but it doesnt work. Has anyone tried that ?

Midi notes are coming through from the same source as the Sysex. I tried the midi trough menu settings but no luck either

Note that I have a lot of devices in the chain so it might not be the Hapax that’s causing the issue, I am trying different configurations

Thanks !

The Hapax is a ‘soft’ thru, so it might not recognise the messages coming in and therefore not transmit them back out again. I’ve just tried to send some too my RefaceDX through the Hapax and it did seem to ignore it (I usually do SysEx stuff on the RefaceDX via USB, but obviously not an option for you!)

I am sure @Thibault_Squarp can confirm, but I think you might have to plug the TX81Z directly to your soundcard for SysEx dumps.

1 Like

Precisely so. SysEx messages are ignored.

1 Like

Thank you for the info, that clear things out

Does this mean that I can’t send send Sysex messages from a controller through the Hapax like I can on the pyramid? It’s sounds like it, but just confirming. Just trying to use my Novation SL to edit patches on the TX81z…

Yes, currently it is not possible.

Thanks for the quick response. Probably a pretty rare use case. AND since I don’t need the midi merge box anymore since moving to the Hapax from Pyramid, I figured out I could just use that to sequence from the Hapax and edit from the SL!

The Retrokits RK-002 “smart” MIDI cable can convert MIDI CC to SysEx, but does require some basic Arduino programming. Although is possible.

There are some examples on their site for D-50 synths, and I’m currently trying to work out how to do it for my Super Jupiter (mostly because I cannot quite work it out SysEx, rather than the code for converting them)

1 Like

Another solution is the Bome system, comprising a software development/runtime environment on Windows and Mac (Bome MIDI Translator Pro) and their hardware runtime tool (BomeBox).

I’ve triggered Sysex using both of these. It’s an investment of time to learn the tool, but for anyone doing a lot with MIDI, it could be worth it.

1 Like

:flushed:

Wow, I knew Retrokits has something called “smart” MIDI cable, but I hadn’t realized it’s actually programmable. Thanks for the tip!!

Yeah, it’s really powerful some of the stuff you can do with it. Loads of firmwares here:

Yup, noticed. The Arduino IDE possibility is what attracts me far more than anything ready-made though, that level of programmability is far closer to my heart than eg. the Scratch-cutesy pipes of MidiHub :sweat_smile:

Awesome. I just got one of those actually for use with my volcas. Haven’t fired it up yet though. I solved this problem by just using a thru box and bypassing the Hapax on the sysex editing side of things all together. But…I finally broke down an bought a PreenFM3, based on some suggestions here on the forum. Very excited to see how it pairs with the Hapax. TONS of CC parameters to automate.

1 Like

volca sample v1 with pajen os eliminates the need for the rk002 and even provides more goodies like poly mode, kit control on ch11, cc control over all parameters, chromatic playback, etc.

@pmatilai if you like programming, the Bome toolset is a powerful, tried and true option with excellent support.

It’s a lot like a 5th generation language for MIDI processing.

Oh, I know Bome. It’s the bitter pill that runs on Linux but hides the most interesting part (the programmability) behind a proprietary Windows/MacOS-only software. They might just as well be giving me the finger.

I do like programming, but I get my daily dose of programming at work, in the freetime I only really bother these days just to make s*** work. With an “Arduino IDE” level approach, I don’t need to bother learning some new Bome (or similar) specific language either. I have my own Teensy-based board for the odd MIDI job in the studio, but that’s USB-only and requires something to route the traffic. A cable with such logic built-in is a neat solution to all manner of things :grin:

To each his own.

While a programmer and network integrator by training, I’m a “field CTO” and spend my time talking to the market, marketing and product teams.

A little “programming” scratches the itch and most important, automates quite effectively a ton of midi tasks in my rig.

I’m sure I could relearn C++ or some other close to the metal language, but it would make it so much harder to toggle the Leslie speed on my upper keyboard when I hit a key on my KMI MIDI footpedal controller, or blocking certain CC’s that get in the way when I select another preset in my 88 key slab.

Again, “horses for courses!”

Perhaps more important, programming MIDI on the Bome requires proficiency at the level of Excel spreadsheet functions. Many keyboard players are more likely to take that on than writing C++ or assembler on an Arduino, which is why I suggested Bome in this forum.

Bome is a fantastic MIDI tool, halfway between Arduino and the more menu-oriented options.

I don’t really care if my Yamaha YC61 hides Linux from me, or that my Virus TI2 was coded in assembler on bare metal. I like that they get the job done in the very limited time I have for music, and which isn’t dedicated to Beethoven or Debussy.

@pmatilai I understand where your comment about Bome “giving me the finger” comes from, but, consider that many have immense respect for the quality of their products and support.

Kemper-Access has come much closer to giving Virus synth owners “the finger” by ignoring incompatibility with Mac OS releases for about 4 years!

I can’t comment on Bome quality because I could not use it even if I wanted to. That’s all I have to say about that :sweat_smile:

Perhaps a more refined comment indicating your lack of interest in Bome products would fit better within the very civilized discourse of this wonderful forum.