Some feature ideas / questions

proud owner of a new HAPAX here, fantastic machine, so creative, gives me completely unexpected patterns. WOW.

Here are some observations, could you please tell me if already possible or - if not - what you think about this or that idea?

• there is no midi delay FX correct?

• when i mute only a selection of a track like steps 5-14 and then want to unmute them again,
    i do not see which steps i did mute. wouldn’t it be cool if temporary muted steps within a track would blink? (when you mute or rotate a region you mark that region with 2 fingers and often do this where no notes are)

• is there a way to put chance / probability on rolls, gates, etc? like sometimes the note has a roll, sometimes not? and sometimes the roll is 8, sometimes 16 etc. or sometimes the gate length is 100% the other time 10% etc?

• there is a pattern generator, but is there also a pattern variator (like from only a little bid different to very different)? (did somebody just say Polyend Play?)

• and from the squid sequencer i know 2 nice features: one is to deactivate single steps, they just get jumped over and by this a pattern gets shorter and polyrhythmic to others. It’s something different than just make a pattern shorter, taking out certain steps here and there creates totally new melodies.

• and the other squid feature is, that you can ramp the speed. On the HAPAX the corresponding feature would be, to be able to put an LFO on the ELASTIQUE function

let me know please what you think or if something is already possible

cheers!

4 Likes

there is no midi delay FX correct?

not yet. i would bet that will be added at a later date

i do not see which steps i did mute. wouldn’t it be cool if temporary muted steps within a track would blink?

are you holding the “mute” button and tapping notes? they should be dimly lit in grey when muted

is there a way to put chance / probability on rolls, gates, etc

i don’t know, but when i want to do that, i just zoom in and manually create a roll

there is a pattern generator, but is there also a pattern variator

i haven’t spent much time with that so no idea

and from the squid sequencer i know 2 nice features: one is to deactivate single steps,

that’s a rad idea - def suggest it via the Squarp contact form

and the other squid feature is, that you can ramp the speed

another rad idea. i have asked for a way to automate bpm. perhaps suggest also adding the ability to modulate elasticity. again, the form would be the way to do that.

as for the MUTE thing:
this is for the rotate or mute a whole selection (like steps 4 to 13 for example), not “mute certain notes”.
so you don’t select single notes, but most of the time at at least one border of the selection there is no note to tap, or even on both sides, when you mark a region within a track with both fingers. And that muted region then would be great if it color marked/blinks/whatever.

(i hope my english is ok enough to make clear what i want to say, sorry if it’s a bid confuse)

for the rolls/gates etc:
Sure you can throw in a roll manually one or two times in the track, but the point was, to have automatic variation / probability ( with MATH invovlved) on roll on/off, roll time, gate, etc over the duration of the complete track.

this is for the rotate or mute a whole selection (like steps 4 to 13 for example), not “mute certain notes”. so you don’t select single notes, but most of the time at at least one border of the selection there is no note to tap, or even on both sides, when you mark a region within a track with both fingers. And that muted region then would be great if it color marked/blinks/whatever.

from what i understand, the selection with no notes (empty notes) will have no change at all when muting them. only the actual notes within that selection will be muted. i’ll have to test this, but if nothing is on the grid and you mute a selection, there is no change. if you add notes to that section, the added notes will not be muted.

Sure you can throw in a roll manually one or two times in the track, but the point was, to have automatic variation / probability ( with MATH invovlved) on roll on/off, roll time, gate, etc over the duration of the complete track.

right. i don’t think you can adjust those with probability or randomness

i uploaded a photo (i borrowed from a review) to show what i mean:

let’s say you want to mute the region (=selection) marked with red lines
the red +'s are, where your two fingers mark the region
you mark the region and press mute, then this region is muted.
but when you want to unmute, you may not remember where the “red +'s” were,
because that region does not blink or gets colored.

that’s why i requested, it would be great, if the pads (with the red lines on them) would blink as long as they are muted (or the complete seleccted and muted region/selection from top to bottom could blink)

(and just as with mute you can also rotate a certain region )

I agree, some way to apply chance and math to Roll and Mutes would be very helpful.

When you talk about pattern generator, are you talking about the Algo generator? I would like to see a way of using the Algo generator to sprinkle in more notes to an existing pattern. The way the Algo generator works now is that it clears a pattern and generates all new notes each time you apply the effect. It would be cool to use it as a way to add or erase notes in an existing pattern (and I can’t fully wrap my head around the idea of using it as an eraser, but makes much more sense to think about adding more notes to an existing pattern).

Would you use this like to add / take out tension or moving towards a musical climax for example? Like, more notes more tension, less notes, more relaxation? To get musical results that suit your track, maybe for drums this would be easier to achieve, like adding notes temporary for breaks, taking out notes for build ups, etc.

BTW What i meant with variator is, that you got pattern and the HAPAX could suggest more or less wild variations of it.

let’s say you want to mute the region (=selection) marked with red lines the red +'s are, where your two fingers mark the region you mark the region and press mute, then this region is muted.

I double checked this. muting has no effect on regions with no notes. In other words, if you mute a region in a completely empty pattern and then tap in a few notes, they will not be muted.

I suppose for the Algo Generator, I think the functionality I’m looking for is to be able to “lock” a selection of notes, then apply the Algo Generator, thus leaving the selected notes unchanged and the Algo applied around the selection. Likewise for erasing, maybe you select an area and/or specific notes, then when you apply the Algo Generator it is applied to just the selected notes/area leaving the rest of the Pattern around the selection unchanged.

I would love to see some of the Polyend Play in Hapax. The entire Perform section for starters! I think Variations as they work on Play translates to Hapax, in the request for more Patterns. Or can you elaborate how you imagine variations on Hapax?

You did not do it the right way. I uploaded a short video here

(sorry for bad quality)

first i show MUTE. you see that the muted region is not marked/highlighted/blinking to show the muted state. I unmute with undo, i could have done with holding the same two buttons and push mute again, but that was my request: that the muted region BLINKS so i know for example when playing live, which buttons to push.

**then i show rotate. you see that it rotates outside the left/right borders. it would be great if it also would rotate within those borders as a second option. **

also it would be nice, if we could do all of those for just certain pitch lines.

the ZILLION for example had a nice musical way to make pattern variations, but i did not like the interface. for sure could be done much easier.

of course you can add a Polyend Play and combine it with the HAPAX, but i too wished the Polyend Tricks wouldo be in the HAPAX :wink:

btw there is one drum machine that does ghost notes, and that’s the BOSS 880. But in 2023 those ghost notes could be much better, like with probability, humanized, etc

1 Like

I get this message when trying to view the video:

can you try again please?
(and maybe not THAT BIG ERROR MESSAGES to keep the thread clear :wink: thank you! )

okay. to clarify, there is no muted region - only muted notes within the region. none of the inactive pads are muted.

of course the NOTES are muted. How would a muted region be?

or do you mean exactly what my request is: that i can SEE the muted region
(certain color/blinkin/whatever)?

To rotate notes within your selected area use the plus and minus buttons (+ -). Demonstrated at about 2:10 into this video: Basic sequencing Pt. 2 // squarp hapax tutorial - YouTube

3 Likes

right. I suppose I don’t see a reason to indicate what you had selected when you muted the notes. you can already see which notes are muted and you can unmute them a couple different ways:

1. select another region that contains the notes and hit mute
  2. tap the muted notes

i think we talk past each other a bid, maybe because my English is not good enough

I also own a Zillion! It’s kind of complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it’s brilliant for generating melodies and rhythms within constrained parameters. I’ve tried to imagine how you’d incorporate counters and shift registers into the Hapax, but honestly haven’t given it a lot of thought since Hapax arrived. I should go play with Zillion a bit and see if I can wrap my head around how you’d Frankenstein the best parts of it into Hapax.

lucky you;)
It would not have to be on the HAPAX the exact code/UI like on the Zillion, but what i find so remarkable is, how musical the results are. I think i never heard “total random or boring crab” in Zillion videos but always quite funky and inspiring variation after variation of patterns .

Also very nice would be something like the ableton midi & groove extractor, which can extract midi & grooves from any audio file. I think with AI all this will be possible on large scale, like “program a beat with a bassline and a groove as if it was played by Sly&Robbie” stuff like that…