Set step length in the piano roll?

Hi

While I’m waiting for mine to come, I wonder if you can also input the length of a step by just holding a step and press any of the steps on the right of that same step, to make it extend to that step? Similar to the Deluge and Oxi.

I only have seen video’s where steps are added in the piano roll with the chosen step length shown on the screen, but I would love to change it easily using the grid?

2 Likes

no, not currently

1 Like

Not currently… does that mean that it will come? :slight_smile:

Nope… I’ve no knowledge of future plans.

I’d assume once users get their units they can make feature requests , Squarp will determine viability, and then prioritize alongside other requests and issues.
Well that’s the normal procedure.

2 Likes

This does actually make a lot of sense. It would put the grid to use in a good and intuitive way, it seems.
(And that OXI and Deluge does it like this, could perhaps be a telltale that it works.)

1 Like

Ive a feeling I did ask for this, at the same time as the showing of note length
(because I was familiar with this same behaviour on the Push2… actually maybe even Push1 did it too!)

so it may, or may not, be on their (large) list of ideas :wink:

1 Like

It works really great on the Deluge, Oxi, OP-Z etc. This is also the way most DAW:s work. I´m a bit surprised it´s not implemented from the start, but perhaps Hapax do things different from these. Haven´t got my hands on one. Yet. :wink:

1 Like

Agree, its one of the UX things the OXI did really really well. Building complex piano roll stuff on it was a breeze.

The issue from a ux perspective is hold pad and then pressing another pad is being used for region selection.

and thats handy too, so not sure this is really possible.

Perhaps they can make an exception it’s in the same lane but that smells a bit :poop: , as does using 2nd for select.

I don’t know how oxi handles this … iirc push2 doesn’t have selection areas :frowning: … so that’s how it’s avoided there.

OXI does selection/play area via dedicated pads (16, 32, 48 & 64 pads) and key combos (pressing these with either INIT or END). My Hapax is being delivered this afternoon so ill start working through some of this stuff to see how much of an issue it really is, instead of theory.

That’s a good point. I didn’t know that you can select multiple notes that way.

But as you say, it would make sense to override that function whenever you hold the first step of a note (when entering a new one or an existing one) and then press any step to the right of that step in the same row with no other notes in between, as it doesn’t make sense to use the select function anyway as you would then only select that single note.

Read the amazing Hapax manual. I don’t understand exactly how you make notes longer, but it seems like you use the encoders. Anyone with a Hapax could perhaps tell how good/bad this works.

It works very easy. Press the note’s button on the pad matrix, wheel the knob back and forth. It tells you note length on screen one, and if it’s more than one measure long, you get that many measures shown on the matrix in a darker colour than the main note

2 Likes

Seems nice! Thanks!

FWIW, I use the Pyramid daily and the gate length issue is trivial. Select a trigger, a group of triggers, or the whole pattern, and then use an encoder. It’s pretty fast and you get used to the math eventuall(.

1 Like

Yeah, and you can select more than one note (in a time-based range) to edit more than one at the time.

Editing is essentially identical to the Pyramid.

3 Likes

yeah, also a point for those new to Squarp/pyramid editing…

the length is expressed in terms of the zoom level.

SO…
lets say you are working on a chord track, and want to make a (boring :wink: ) progression where chord changes each bar.
keep note length as ONE,
then zoom out to ‘bar’ level’, then you can enter the chords quickly there…

want the last bar to have the chords as 1/2 notes, zoom in once, press the pads.

I think zoom can take a bit of getting used to, as your ‘view’ is changing…
(though the Hapax left window does a good job of giving you a better overview now)
but it can be a fast way to work… and of course, becomes important when you want to to do things like quick trills and other ornaments to spice things up.

4 Likes

Thanks for this tip. Understanding the design thinking behind an instrument really makes a difference in approaching use of that instrument!

2 Likes

The dedicated +/- buttons for zoom clued me in last night, and it was incredible for quickly setting up automation over a 4 bar loop, and then zooming super far in for detailed tweaking.

3 Likes

I also much prefer how note length works in hapax/pyramid compared to Oxi one or sq64.

The length that you see in the left screen (in step mode) is the default length when nothing is selected with is as well very useful since it is so quick to change.

Also other sequencer don’t have a length greater than one so you need to use ties and multiple steps but in Pyramid and in Hapax is much cleaner and nicer.

For example in Oxi one if I one to test how a long note sounds in a certain baseline I have to press first and 3rd step, but it actually creates 3 steps which you need to click one by one if you want to remove them.

1 Like