Really basic question - odd steps per track

I’m just trying to set up a track with, say 7 steps. I’m not seeing how to do it and can’t find it in the manual (i’ll probably find it, of course, after I ask publicly). I suppose that it may not be possible, but I remember that it’s relatively easy (owned a pyramid before).

Sorry if this is obvious - i’ve been searching for the answer, and maybe i’m unfamiliar with searching in this forum, but haven’t found it here.

In any case - thanks.

1 Like

signature 16:4 , Track length to 7 (or whatever)

2 Likes

ok. will try that. this seems silly, but I want it to be simpler. I just want to go in there, not pay attention to changing the signature, and just edit the # of steps, at least most of the time. I can do that easily and quickly with my other sequencers…but thanks for the response. I will try this. I find the pyramid frustrating at first because it looks like you can do various things, but then the controls don’t do them directly, and you have to find the answer (somehow) in the manual, or ask for help. But i’m not whining - i’m really enjoying the pyramid this time around - thus far just with simple stuff. record some stuff live, putting in some fx, and then modulating these fx. That will probably be the core of my usage, and in general I deviate far enough from explicit scale use, and explicit time signature use, that I wish that some of this could just be simpler. But yeah - thank you.

1 Like

yeah, this is a pretty common question.

some things are defintely simpler on other sequencers, but often because they are much simpler … e.g. perhaps not doing polyrythms only polymeters, or not handling time signatures (or only having one for entire project, not per track)

so yeah, flexibility can lead to some complexity.

bonus tip…

a quick way to ‘remember’ this one is that Euclid uses this. (I sometimes forget :wink: )
e.g change track to Euclid, set number of steps (N) , track consolidate.

you’ll see, its change track to 16:4 , length N.

2 Likes

well, yes - complexity can do that, but you can have both complexity and a way of doing something simple. My favorite sequencer for some stuff (patterns are only mono, there is no recording, etc, etc) is the Schrittmacher, which has extremely complex possibilities as far as timing per steps, direction, and modulation of these together, etc. But you can just enter the most simple patterns directly if you want to.

But sure - every instrument, including obviously sequencers, has a way of working, and there are always assumptions about how users want to use it. And I will admit that my usage (i have used many, many sequencers) is pretty idiosyncratic.

Edit: I posted something silly, and deleted it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.