Rample frequent crashes

Hi, I just got a Rample a few says ago and I am noticing quite frequent crashes.

For starters, I have a layered sample on a single channel, and using the four CV’s to modulate different parameters on this channel- start, length layer, pitch…This works ok for a while, but crashes the module after several minutes :((

Any ideas as to what may be going on?

1 Like

I have the same issue. Crashing every 1-2 minutes just triggering the 4 sample slots. I’m running latest 1.42 firmware and now reformatting the SD card using the “SD Card Formatter” app just to make sure. But I didn’t edit anything on the stock card other than copying “rample.bin” to it for the update.

I’m a bit surprised that this module crashes at all. I’d be OK with glitches and latency, but crashing is really quite unfortunate and makes this module a no-go for any live use. I really hope this can be fixed because other than the crashes I quite like the module!

With the reformatted SD card it takes slightly longer to crash, like 3-4 minutes, but still consistently crashes using latest firmware and stock SD card reformatted according to the FAQ. How can this be fixed?

You are much more patient than I would be.
That being said, the only time I was experiencing crashes with the Rample was with a certain OS update which was quickly replaced (as in days). My Rample is powered up and used nearly every day.

I don’t CV, but I subject my Rample to more than 4 realtime modulations at a time via MIDI with no crashes. I have neither the experience, expertise, nor knowledge that throwing “too much” CV modulation at the device at once would cause a crash, so…

The two main troubleshooting steps that come to mind that might help address this issue:

• Power
  • SDCard corruption

For the latter, if you reformat your SDCard, be sure you don’t just copy the files off, reformat, then copy those files back on (anything that was corrupted will just continue to be corrupted).

Just to clarify, I formatted the SD card and copied the presets from the downloaded ZIP file as instructed in the FAQ. No success. In terms of power, I‘m using a 4ms pod. I haven‘t checked if I‘m within power limits though … will check that next. The other 2 digital modules have no problem running along in the same case. So there is that …

Ok, the 4ms pod delivers 1.4A on the +12v rail, so plenty enough, that can‘t be the issue.

if you followed advice on the FAQ , and it has not helped , you should contact Squarp via the contact form for direct support.

unfortunately, I can’t really think of anything else to suggest other than the sdcard and power.

like @CreepyPants , mine has been in use since it was released, and not had any issue (barring initial firmware issue at the very beginning) , driving it from cv or midi.

when you contact Squarp, it’s good to give as much information as possible, including what you have tried, or if you have noticed any particular circumstances that are more likely to cause the issue - e.g. particular kits or modulation.

It seems to be a common enough problem that I think some public response from squarp would be nice for other people searching the forums.

But I will also contact them directly.

Thanks @thetechnobear

I never experienced crashes before, but after upgrading firmware from 1.4 to 1.42 my module crashes consequently after 15-20 seconds of playing.

interesting… esp. as its so quickly…

did you try downgrading, does this ‘fix’ it? so can it firmly associated with the firmware version?

can you give us more information on what your doing to crash it, is there a set of reproducible steps?

again, Id contact Squarp, if it happens with a particular firmware version, and you can describe exactly what your doing, this could be very helpful in diagnosing the issue and possibly fixing.

@westlicht , the issue is there really is nothing to go on to determine what the issue is…
if some are having issues and others not (and we can assume Squarp can’t reproduce) - what is there to say? similarly they cannot work to fix something, without actually having an idea how to reproduce the issue?

thats the problem with issues that are reported as it ‘crashes’ , its a ‘catch all’, unfortunately, there could be any number of possible causes… and the three users here reporting it, could all have different underlying causes.

it could be firmware (modular means some edge cases may only be seen by few users)
or, it’s quite possible hardware related, fault module?, sd card? or some incompatibilities with certain eurorack racks… (power most likely)

don’t get me wrong, I totally get its frustrating, Ive had software/hardware issue in the past, and hearing others are working, just makes it worst…

but the engineer in me, wants me to help get it fixed, and I know the only way to do that is really to encourage those with issues to gather as much info as possible, to help identify the underlying issue - and hopefully get it working.

as a fellow user, I do like to help… if you can detail how to reliably make it crash on my system, id be happy to try it, and if it does the same on my system that would be very useful info for Squarp.

of course… I accept for many, they will feel thats ‘not their job’… which really there is no answer to… all I can see is you hope someone helps them to work out the issue, or move on?!

the issue is there really is nothing to go on to determine what the issue is…
if some are having issues and others not (and we can assume Squarp can’t reproduce) - what is there to say? similarly they cannot work to fix something, without actually having an idea how to reproduce the issue?

I don’t fully agree. There seem to be other users currently and in the past that had similar issues with the module freezing (I read about users complain in other forums). So Squarp must be aware of these issues and probably have looked into them previously. I have described how the freeze happens in my case and I’ve encountered that problem with all firmware versions from the shipped 1.40 over 1.41 to 1.42. Also, this happens without any fancy stuff, just a single gate input triggering a single sample!! I also stated that the problem got worse. I also can rule out the SD card as I have tested two different ones (the stock card and one of my own) and followed Squarp’s instructions to format/init the card with stock sounds and got the same freeze. So either their software is rock solid and this must be a hardware issue or there are subtle software bugs that I assume they are aware off.

it could be firmware (modular means some edge cases may only be seen by few users)
or, it’s quite possible hardware related, fault module?, sd card? or some incompatibilities with certain eurorack racks… (power most likely)

My gut feeling is that this is not HW related. The module runs fine for a long time if no sample is triggered. It only freezes when playing samples. As I said, we can probably rule out the SD card, and even with a bad SD card the software shoudn’t just crash. If the hardware has some proper power filtering, the power supply shouldn’t really be an issue either.

I do have some knowledge in HW design and have written software (including embedded) as a professional for over 20 years. I’m more than willing to help getting to the bottom of this issue but so far I haven’t heard back from Squarp …

Hello guys,

We know there is a software issue leading to total freeze, it can occurs on some modules after 1 hour to 1 min after power on. The cause of the issue is related to a newer CPU we use on Rample. I’m already working on it and found a solution. You can send me an email via Contact us | Squarp instruments to get the OS with the fix.

Thanks a lot for your patience!
Jean

4 Likes

I can report that the new build works fine in my case. No freeze so far running for around 4h non-stop. Thanks Jean!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

We just released the fix for this issue!
Please read this post >> rampleOS 1.43 - new firmware

2 Likes