Pyramid Wish List

Sure, but you don’t know absolutely that they do work… and even at $30 for 8gb… that’s kind of steep… when there is every likelihood that it won’t work because Squarp is very specific about its recommendations that people use the card that came with the Pyramid… I have reason to believe they have reasons for their specificity…

nah the reason is just that a lot of shitty cards exists…

the deluge is a lot more stressing on the cards because it does realtime sample streaming from the card…
the pyramid does not do any realtime steaming, just load and save simple binary files when you ask it to… its the most basic of basic usecases. it’s normal for manufacturers to recommend using a specific card, it’s easier to troubleshoot issues when the variables are constants

1 Like

in any case, as my friend sold his Deluge months ago, he’s offering me his card… for the sake of science, I can test this

1 Like

Well, I mean… yeah… that’s the reason… there doesn’t need to be much more than that…

Looking forward what science will reveal. Please let us know.

Not the case in Canada.
More like $200CAN

It’s the transfer.
Some of the cards i was looking at have their own transfer app which may only focus on TIFF or JPEG or photo formats. Perhaps not the case, but Im hyper-cynical enough to put more faith in Murphys Law than corporate inclusiveness.

I think thats why Jamie created Downrush as a transfer app.

1 Like

seeing all this daw integration talk and i’m just like - the last thing i want squarp to ever focus on is daw integration. Go dawless, it’s where the magic is :wink:

2 Likes

Perhaps you posted in the wrong thread or Im missing some of the convo (being on my phone and not a computer), but Im not seeing DAW integration in the recent flurry of discussion

15d

““Making the SD card accessible from a daw/connected machine for a way to easily load and edit tracks in a daw and export them back (without the need of taking the card out and such).””

Yes, but there are many other reasons to want to access the files remotely. I restarted the convo about wifi sdcards not for daw integration but to be able to move around the .mid files between projects because of my unorthodox workflow.

1 Like

I meant to be playful and promote rampant dawlessness :slight_smile:

I stick my card in the computer all the time (i mean shit, i wrote my own backup system). I didn’t mean to invalidate the conversation or the usefulness of a wifi card.

1 Like

I don’t really understand the whole “dawless” thing to be honest. Isn’t it just how we all made music in the 90s and early 00s?

I suspect there’s nearly as many reasons for going DAWless as there are people who eschew DAWs.

Nevertheless, it could very well be an excellent exercise to spark creativity to adjust our tools, and going DAWless for a bit might help foster a defining technique or refine a workflow.

It’s also kind of fun to say “but Im DAWless” if in a group of DAW oriented producers. heh heh

Probably some more substantive reasons, but we all have our own workflows.

A healthy thread of people sharing their workflows without judgement would be amazingly helpful but probably unlikely.

2 Likes

I am being factitious to a degree. I get the workflow (I only use the computer for recording audio and effects) but it’s just funny that being “dawless” is like a lifestyle choice. Just find it funny how people appear sometimes to get a bit militant about it.

Whatever you enjoy is what matters the most if we’re all being perfectly fair.

1 Like

I consider it more like an ex smoker. LOL

1 Like

To me it’s more about the ability emulate the people who have been the biggest influences on me… I understand that the Chemical Brothers are DAW production gods… To me it’s kind of besides the point… there are always tricks you can do in production to make the finished product sound good… At the same time… The Brothers… can do that shit live… and it sounds just as life changing as their studio work… That’s the kind of ability I work towards in a Dawless setup… The ability to just rock the floor so hard… You’d think it was a studio production…

To enjoyment though… Yeah… going Dawless and slowly building up gear is bringing me back to the place of enjoyment that I had pretty much totally lost in the production process.

1 Like

And before that. I didn’t hang up my guitars either just because we entered a new century. So? :grin:

More seriously, below is my personal background on the subject, not trying to convert anybody but just for the sake of sharing experiences:

I learned my audio basics while playing in a band during late eighties, with analogue PA and studio gear, and a second-hand 4-track Tascam. After the trusty old 4-track recorder broke down in the nineties, I tried to go the DAW route (several different brands over the years) because I’m a computer geek and it was a concept I wanted to, and tried hard, to like. What followed was over two decades of not getting any music done, I only rediscovered the fun once I bought a Zoom R16 and started running it standalone instead of trying to use it as a DAW control surface. Music-making immediately resurfaced :flushed: So you can imagine I haven’t much looked back. I totally get that for many people the DAW concept is a dream come true, it just doesn’t work for me.

I actually find this situation rather puzzling - I sold my soul to Commodore 64 when I was ten, and later became a software engineer by profession, so one would think using computers to record and process music would be the most natural thing, but I simply get nothing at all done with DAWs. It get stuck on fiddling this and that irrelevant stuff forever, including but certainly not limited to endless takes syndrome, and ends up eating all musical inspiration. At any rate, there are multiple things at play, at least:

• I seem to need the boundaries that hardware places in the process. My Fostex D2424LV has something like 96 virtual tracks available, and that’s already too many, so I try to stick with the “physical” 24 tracks, and even that is often more than would be entirely healthy (for the too-many-takes syndrome). Ditto with effects: when you only have so many, you need to make each one count and it keeps the whole somehow manageable. Some people seem to find such limits debilitating, which I find puzzling as everything we do is limited by available technology and/or technique. And yes, others find the notion of limits inspiring creativity equally puzzling.
  • I work on the computer all day, so at the end of the day I mostly want to get away from them and their associated issues (realizing updates broke s*** when you were planning to record a few tracks, and by the time you’ve troubleshooted it the will to make any music is long lost, etc). Being able to do what you love for a living is awesome, but something is lost when a hobby turns into a profession.
  • There’s some fundamentally satisfactory about physically connecting patch cables and hardware devices, that is totally missing from the world of plugins and virtual connections. Also, ever since turning fourty or so, mouse-elbow syndrome and other similar issues have never been far away enough to entirely forget.
  • I find having using mouse for adjusting virtual knobs and sliders and such almost physically repulsive. I need those concrete physical knobs and buttons to work with. A big control surface would of course go a long way here.
  • Maybe part of the problem is actually being a software engineer, because that side of me ends up taking over when confronted with a DAW, so I find myself thinking about improving the software instead of just dealing with it, like you’ll do with physical gear.
4 Likes

Custom scales for Scale FX is pretty much all that I care about. This has been requested since 2016. I really hope it’s possible one day.

1 Like

Yea - I wanted to second a couple things you said. Especially your first bullet:

• I seem to need the boundaries that hardware places in the process. My Fostex D2424LV has something like 96 virtual tracks available, and that’s already too many, so I try to stick with the “physical” 24 tracks, and even that is often more than would be entirely healthy (for the too-many-takes syndrome). Ditto with effects: when you only have so many, you need to make each one count and it keeps the whole somehow manageable. Some people seem to find such limits debilitating, which I find puzzling as everything we do is limited by available technology and/or technique. And yes, others find the notion of limits inspiring creativity equally puzzling.

There’s something about the way a system of constraints influences art that I find really interesting. I spend all this time engineering the constraints, and then play within it - and as those constraints change so does my music. I mean, I’ve made music on daws too, which compared to dawless are seemingly without constraints. To this point, there’s a book by David Byrne called ‘How music works’ and he talks about how different buildings and social constructs affected music – I think there’s a really interesting correlation to that versus say how one’s dawless setup affects tunes.

also - i’m an engineer too - so like you, I can’t sit on my daw all night. It makes me crazy and like I can maybe use the mouse for an hour or two a week outside of work because work eats my shoudler up - etc etc etc. So after I finished my first record in a daw I was like, “yea, I gotta do something besides spend 16 hours a day in front of the same screen”.

So, I feel you - on all your points.

2 Likes

yeah, I feel the same…

unfortunately, I think we see alot of this in hardware too…
engineers are trained problem solvers, so when we see something, we think of improvements, and how we would do it ‘better’ - these days, hardware has so much software (firmware) , its hard to differentiate.

its particularly noticeable on electronic music forums, I guess because electonic musicians are more ‘this way inclined’ (or perhaps guitar forums are full of suggestions on how to improve guitar bodies?)

personally, I try (not easy, and I dont always do a good job) to recognise that its easy to see improvements if we dont have all the inside knowledge… but from experience, the reality is inside the project, the view is very different due both to objectives and technical reasons.

so yeah… I struggle… and probably file more than my fair share of bug reports and feature requests… when I should just be playing with what i have, and how it is … given its already SO powerful.

as for dawless, I have been going that route for a while now, (pyramid, eurorack, mixers)
but started to turn back a bit now…

now, Im focused on a hybrid approach … hardware for the hands on, knob twiddling, patching… but computer for the mixing,some fx, arrangement - which at times can be pretty cumbersome in hardware.

on a good day its perfect
on a bad day, it feels like the worst of both worlds :slight_smile:

so… neither is a perfect !

5 Likes