Pyramid Wish List

You’re not the only one. I think I spent four hours writing squarp an email last night :slight_smile: It happens.

5 Likes

Likewise…

The cure for that is to buy obsolete hardware which ceased to receive updates 10 years ago :joy:

For example the Fostex D2424LV has some truly dreadful warts in its UI, but since I knew from day one it’ll never be updated again, you just shrug and move on. And on the other end of that spectrum, open-source software is in a sense the worst when you actually could fix it if you wanted to.

In my gear the Pyramid is the major exception to the old gear rule, but then I continue to be astonished that it is still receiving updates.

3 Likes

sounds like a good plan :slight_smile:

I think another issue is musicians that are also engineers are also naturally attracted to flexible (and so more complex) instruments … I guess we are not concerned about learning this complexity ( * ) … but of course, the more complex - the more scope there is for deviation in ‘how it should be done’.
so unfortunately, its almost fate!

that said, I have got a bit better of late, whilst these things are great… Ive ended up with things that often do way more than I need…and sometimes simple things, are just quicker and more focused to use.
(but Ive still a long way to go to fight the urge for complex gear.)

( * ) a while back I wanted a looper/sampler , and was reading about the Elektron Octatrack, and I think the more I read about how diffcult it could be to learn, how obtuse it was… the more I felt attracted to it - the more I wanted to conquer it. the complexity and its flexibility was really compelling.
(I did buy one, and I absolutely love it - for all its quirks :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

ha - you’d think… and then someone goes invents something like midihub and suddenly nothing can constrain you anymore.

Or EVEN better is when users make their own firmware… a la Juno-66 | tubbutec

So yes, I totally added midi to a juno 6 I inherited. Discontinued hardware can’t stop us! muahahaha.

3 Likes

per track clock divider/multipliers would be the last missing piece for me to make it the perfect device…
it wouldn’t change the way triggers are displayed… just an FX on top that changes the playback speed

3 Likes

Hello!
I would like to add a missing feature in your list which in my opinion it’s an important one, to support MTC.

PC: If MTC would be supported I would happily live with all missing features :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Step/note length saveable in your template (without notes recorded on track).

Currently it defaults to 1 even if you change it to 1/16 and save that in a default template.

1 Like

If I could wish for something in Pyramid, it would be these features:

• A button combo to rotate the current pattern start to a chosen position. I usually start recording too early, and always need to rotate the notes step by step to make them start on the first bar.

• Vertical zoom in step editor.

• Easier way of typing in names, maybe using the step buttons for letters and 2ND+step for numbers/symbols.

1 Like

I think, if I’m getting what you’re trying to do, you can do the first one of those by pressing 2nd + back and forward buttons in step mode

2 Likes

I know that, it just gets annoying when you have to do it all the time. 2nd+forward/back is OK for small shifts, but it takes a lot of button pushing to shift by multiple bars, even when zoomed out.

1 Like

So, like a “snap to 1” for all events or a selected range?

2 Likes

What I mean is: it would be nice to have a combo like eSTEPS+step that would rotate the pattern so that the beginning of the pattern is where I pressed.

1 Like

You can also zoom out and nudge the sequence, so it’ll move quicker.

I know that’s not exactly what you’re after, but I use this workaround all the time (as I often don’t start playing for the first few bars after recording, too)

One I’d like is scheduled step mute, so you mute a step as usual, then hold it and turn encoder where the display scrolls 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 then inverted 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 then what happens is the step is muted according to the number selected, so if 3 is selected every 3rd pass of the step is muted, if inverted 3 is selected, the step is not muted on every 3rd pass but the 1st and 2nd pass are muted.

I think it would be great for interesting patterns that evolve.

3 Likes

Yeah, I wish this too. I sadly kinda gave up on the live looper because I kept getting issues where the thing I recorded would start in the wrong place and it was a pain to move things around all the time, and it would start in the middle of a bar for some reason with no way to redirect it. I suggested that exact key combo thing to squarp. Would be really helpful!

I wish the Pyramid harmony effect was more like Yamaha RS7000 harmony which has more settings;
Unison 2x-8x, this stacks the same note on top of each other to make a thicker sound or when used to the extreme distorted madness!

Octaver -10/+10, plays the original note with a note up to 10 octaves below or above.

Harmony setting goes to -99/+99 instead of just -24/+24, but I’m good with just -48/+48 or at least -36/+36.

But the pyramid is better in that its harmony effects is heard in real-time as u play the keys unlike the rs7000 where its more like a midi after effect that u hear for recorded notes in the track.

Another feature from the rs7000 that’s REALLY cool the audio mute option for midi tracks (that cuts off the just audio while the midi keeps triggering). Think of pressing the mute button (off & on) on a mixing board only the audio get cut off. This way u don’t have wait for the midi to re-trigger to hear whats playing. Really cool for playing live. This is the feature I want the most.

Plus I also wish we could dim the pad lights even lower than the current low setting.

Peace

2 Likes

so a little update on the flashair thing… its been here for a while and didn’t bother to check it further…
in any case i’m using it now, updated PyraOS firmware with it and it’s been working as it should, gets very hot though
i managed to get it to work with the hotspot mode, but thats annoying… found some chrome plugin that lets you access any of the files and it works…
to get rid of the hotspot mode i wanted it to connect to my WiFi, but no success so far… it’s quite fidly…i’m sure it can work but meh;… not worth my time
if someone really wants this functionality i’m sure it’s possible, but i’m not gonna bother any further and give the card back to my friend… he can probably please some delugians with it… he just bought a pyramid too btw :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

iv love and hate rs7000.
top seq good effects. bad sound on the bottom end of the sample. but the midi effects on it was high light of the unit. plus used rm1x for giggin and stood the test time until broke.
then came along the pryamid and all faith was restored in seq again.
its the best thing on the market. for the price.
i love my squarp

2 Likes

The RS-7000 harmonizer unison parameter worked because it was using the internal sound engine, it could not work over midi as there is no facility to play the same note multiple simultaneous times due to midi being a serial protocol and synths not supporting such a feature over midi.

Also the RS-7000 audio mute could not work on Pyramid again because it works on the internal sound engine, Pyramid mutes just cease midi output on the selected track. It could maybe done by using CC7 (volume) but would be a bit clunky.

4 Likes

I agree with everything u said. The rs7000 seq prepared me for the pyramid advance features & with all the button combos overcame 1 of the rs7000 worst problems which was having to keep stopping the seq to menu dive (workflow killer)