Multitrack recorder/sampeler to go with Hapax

What’s your setup like with the ipad? Which soundcard do you use? Go you have it connected via an Apple CCK and a powered usb hub? In which way do you handle midi with the Ipad?

I have a behringer x32 compact, an ADAT expansion card, two Apollo soundcards some music gear and the Hapax. I think I’m good on every aspect apart from the sampling thing.

The 404 is still a valid option for me. If the Ipad thing doesn’t work out I might pick that one.

Currently I have a 2018 iPad Pro that has a dongle thing going into the USB-C port that lets me run power into it along with a MOTU M4 interface and Hapax via USB (on the Hapax device port). The MOTU M4 has MIDI DIN too, but I prefer to just use USB. I’m thinking about upgrading to a MOTU mk5 ultralite so I can have 8 inputs and run and mix all my external gear in the iPad (right now i send the M4 output into an external mixer with other gear).

I use A&H Qupac, with two mixouts to Elektron Octatrack, - the sampling time is limited -but i just juse it to resample the input, do the transition trick and back to live input. You could setup the Octatrack to constantly sample the inputs with repeating triggers - you then only have to switch to a second pattern, where the recording buffer is played out - you mangle the scene , and get to normal.

For recording you could record up to 16 files, with maximum 4 gbyte length on the qupac (Fat32 file system limitation.) That is a few hours.

You could record your stuff individually, or the master output, or your put the octatrack back to an input of the mixer, and record this input aswell - so you have the recording before the mangeling of the Octatrack, or after - to capture your performance. This would work also with the gear you already have - the Octatrack seems more intimidating as he actually is. (Well yes - i had come back to it several times to grasp it - but after that, the frustration isnt that high.) You could also use it to playback stems in time with your project- - i didnt try any obscure time signature - everything is 4/4 for me.

I’m pretty happy with the Blackbox/Bluebox combo to go along with Hapax, plus a handful of hardware synths (Nymphes, Typhon, Preenfm3). Blackbox just got a major upgrade as far as samples per project(80 to now 576) so it’s really capable. The sound quality is really good too! Bluebox you can open all the stems in a DAW.

1 Like

Cool, are you connecting the motu and USB cable from hapax to the Ipad via a powered usb hub? How are you getting two usb’s into the Ipad?

Just received my Ipad 9. It still has a lightning port which I have a CCK for. we’ll see how it goes.

Also found an old SP-404, trying that stuff out too…

Not too many noise problems witht the unbalanced inputs from the Bluebox?

I actually had an old SP404 laying around, do you know if there’s any way to trigger the recording in time with the Hapax? I can’t seem to midi trigger the record button which is the one that triggers the start of the recording. Wht’s the correct way of doing this?

I don’t think it’s possible, making it kinda useless in my case I guess.

That has been an issue, but solvable by using different power strips to power them. Definitely was annoying and a bit of a road bump along the way. But in the end it all works out pretty good. I don’t get grounding buzz any more. Also, I’m in no position to buy anything new:-)

1 Like

i make a windows module that runs ableton live, bitwig, reaper, most others and any plugin you want too. is the issue space? my smaller widows module is currently 48hp. sometime in the coming year ill have a smaller one possibly 26hp.running windows.

1 Like

The Pacbot 1 seems affordable to me. So you just connect an external soundcard, potential midi controller and you’re good to go?

potentially. it runs linux so youd need to check out what software is available. you will also need to brush up on linux to do anything deeper than just using software. i use pacbot 1 for reaper and dirtywave m8. i actually have moved on to windows for my DAW duties but if you need something like reaper, linux works very well. the other 2 modules are my current windows capable modules. im working on a smaller cheaper windows module but its probably a year away. but there are a number of tiny desktop windows machines on the market now that would fit your software needs and maybe cost less. my prices are based on component cost and my time. they are not mass produced products.

Famous last words :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Man, this is so f*cking numbing. Crazy

I was thinking about using the force with the hapax doing most the sequencing, but now that you say that i’m curious - what issues did you run into with that setup?

Could you perhaps confirm if the MPC is able to record in time with the Hapax? For example, the sp404 I have isn’t able to have it’s record button midi triggered or have a recording start witch clock signal/transport info which makes it impossible to record guitar in time with the hapax.

It is however perfectly possible to have it’s pads triggered by the Hapax, that’s just not what I’m looking for.

Haven’t ever tried so couldn’t say

The blackbox is able to do the above mentioned question about the MPC perfectly, right? At least that’s what the manual implies.

Yeah the force looks great but everyone seems to talk it down as a slave machine. Curious to know more too.