Multitrack recorder/sampeler to go with Hapax

Hi,

I know there’s a dicussion here about which sampler would work best with Hapax, but I 'm thinking there might also be an interesting path in using it with a multitrack recorder…

The Hapax is basically doing everyhting I want for now… Sequencing my drum computers and synths without having to use DAW. The only thing I’m missing is something to record my guitar into and loop/trigger multiple segments/clips via the Hapax. Something that is able to take complex time signatures or experimental clock signals. I was using the Hapax with a push controller and Ableton but it’s kind of a hassle since you have to trigger both controllers at the same time. Also, the communication and worfkflow of ableton’s session view seems somewhat dodgy when coming to a point where you want to record everything into the arrangement view.

I was looking into the Blackbox, MPC, digitakt, etc… and suddenly thought it could be so simple as just using a zoom/tascam multitrack recorder that has midi in. In theory this should perform the basic task I’m looking for. Turns out, almost none of these recorders have midi in, I guess…

Does anyone here have some thoughts about this topic and my search that can help me overcome the hurdle I’m facing right now?

I love the sequencing on the Hapax and don’t wanna switch to some octatrack style thing to do sequencing and recording in one.

Thanks,

M

I’m gonna answer my own question here and say that a multitrack recorder doesn’t offer a clip style grid ofcourse, so yeah…probably bound to work with something like a blackbox.

MPC works great

Also with complex time signatures?

i just trigger everything from Hapax so i’m not sequencing anything in the MPC. however complex Hapax can get with time signatures i guess

1 Like

how about reaper on raspberry pi

ive been using it for years now and although it can do what you want its a small fraction of its total capability. youll need to buy midi and soundcard hardware but reaper can go with you throughout your career and is highly capable at all you ask for. its a commitment though, you will spend some time learning it. and maybe you prefer some name brand thing with shiny nameplate or brand recognition. youll need to decide if you want that or if youd be happy with freeware or very smart solutions but with delayed gratification. if you want something simplified maybe an old multi track sd card recorder would work. my buddy bought one at a pawn shop and is using it every day to put down stuff he then edits in software.

how would you like to play with Dirty Wave M8 tracker? it works as a usb dongle with raspberry pi. i even make a euro module based on raspberry pi. there are inexpensive quality ways to do this with as much finesse as you want. how much quality do you need? any class compliant sound device will work. same with midi devices.

1 Like

oh the M8 tracker works as a midi sampler (or synths) plus fx with assignable parameters so its usable directly from hapax you can even assign several parameters to a single cc each with range offset and orientation.

I know what you mean and I haven’t found a one box solution. I’m using the Hapax with MPC and Tascam Model 24, between those 3 I am getting what I need. MPC still has a 5 minute limit for audio tracks, that’s what made me get the Tascam. But I have come to like the tape-like interface of the Tascam as it allows me to mix tracks dub-style adding effects on the fly.

MPC One/Live can handle complex time signatures and time signature changes but it takes a bit of work. It doesn’t have an arrangement view. MPC Force does - maybe you should check out the Force? Also there’s an unofficial project called Hakai which allows the use of the Force firmware in an MPC One or Live. Personally I’ve just given up on having an arrangement view, in a way it’s liberating.

it’s a bit elusive for me since MPC is not sahring their CC list of the MPC one, at least I can’t find one…

Is it possible to trigger different sequences per midi note or are you only able to trigger tracks? If the last one is true, your limited to trigger 16 tracks, right?

Maybe I’m very ignorant here. I don’t really know how the MPC’s hierarchy of sequences and samples is structured and thus can’t really think it out in terms of midi triggering.

I didn’t know Reaper on a raspberry was possible. That’s great, although for this application it wouldn’t really make sense right? Since I need some sort of Ableton clip-style sample playback kinda thing… Is that possible with reaper?

A tracker might work… Although it’s key selling point is the style of sequencing i guess?

The Akai Force seems quite interesting for my case… Anyone hasany experience with this box as a slave?

i can get MPC to respond to transport/sync from Hapax so, in theory, i guess you could do parallel playback but to the extent that sequencing in MPC is mostly just triggering MIDI note values (either drum program pads or plugin/keygroups) it always seemed needlessly duplicative to me. there are a few things you lose triggering everything externally from a hardware sequencer but not worth the headache (to me)

force does not work well as a slave.

M8 is a sequencer but i did just tell you its synth voices can be controlled with midi input.

https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/

1 Like

Alright… This is really interesting!

I see that Playtime as for now doesn’t run on Linux… The Playime V2 which will work with Linux is bound to release in the near future though…

That means that PI compatibility isn’t a thing right now, correct?

Needlesly duplicative meaning that you have 2 devices basically capable of doing the same thing and one of them could essentially be a simpler device?

What exactly do you use when triggering everything externally? Just so that I can understand the ins- and outs.

yes. i just connect Hapax via USB and then assign different drum programs, plugin, keygroups to a separate MIDI channel (because Hapax is also sequencing a lot of other external gear for me, I generally only dedicate four Hapax tracks to MPC but in theory all 16 tracks could correspond to 16 separate MPC tracks however you want to allocate them)

(this is how it was setup with a MPC/Pyramid but the theory is still the same with a Hapax

https://youtu.be/zCX81b9ideM?si=JX5kOidnuFVjHUeA)

my apologies, i dont use it and just assumed it would work.

this may not appeal to you and i’m not sure if it meets all your qualifications, but lately i’ve been developing my Hapax setup around Loopy Pro on the iPad. Loopy Pro’s UI has incredible customizability that I think is very complimentary to Hapax.

I’m still just at the beginning of figuring out my project layout, but just to give one cool example, i set up a clip slicer in Loopy Pro and then mapped the grid of buttons to the first 16 notes on one of my Hapax tracks and now I can sequence individual slices of a drum break loop I’ve got in Loopy Pro. You could even be sequencing a loop you’re live-recording this way…

I was already planning on buying a new Ipad, this drew me over the edge. App looks too good not to try.

Couldn’t help notice that the premise of this thread is a little unclear/GAS-induced.

As the comments about duplicative processes suggest, a device capable of multitrack recording and sampling means more complications. The more criteria you add to a wish list, the fewer devices you’ll find & paradoxically you’ll end up with more overlapping gear.

Instead go with gear that gives you the path of least resistance & most immediate results when it’s used.

Decide which you prioritise- multitracking or sampling. Only buy once you know the answer.

Consider either:

• An audio interface with enough ins to record your studio with minimal stuffing around. I’ve been saving for an Arturia Audiofuse 16rig for this very purpose.
  • A 2nd hand Roland SP. Any model of 404 or 555 would do the trick if you’re still thinking about samplers. Those SPs have long sample times, decent polyphony, plenty of FX & quick workflow. Even the mk2’s easy to learn when you ignore the internal sequencer. Grab a definition file & you’re good to go. Let the Hapax handle prog rock time sigs.