Master transpose - video/text tutorial anywhere

Hello all. Can someone please recommend a video or two, or a web page, that might teach me how the Master Transpose works? I understand what it does, just not how to make it work.

For example, I want to have a song in which the first half of the song is in one key, and the send part of the song is in a different key, three 1/2 steps down. My understanding is that if Master Transpose is set, I can “push a button” and the key will change for all notes/chords/etc in the song.

But I’m confused/uncertain about how to make this work.
Thank you! :slight_smile:

if you turn on transpose, then track 16 is used to transpose…

iiic C3 is no transposition , so you play C4 to transpose and octave, or D4 to transpose 2 semi.

you can obviously, either play these notes (in Live or external keyboard) or sequence, as you would any other track.

simple as that really…

you then in track settings can say which tracks are transposed , or not.

so…I’m feeling dumb where this is concerned, as this does not help.

What am I actually programming in the MTSP track (which is 16 on the Hapax)? Do I put the sequence I want for all tracks, and then each track I create plays the MTSP track in the key of that particular track? Am I putting the range of keys available to the OTHER tracks for transposition?

Let’s say I have a verse in the key of B. Then, I want the next verse in the key of C. I could build my first track in B. I could then copy that track to a blank track, and set that track to C. Then, I start playing. When the first verse if playing, it’s in B. The, when I get to the end of the verse, I mute the B track and unmute the C track.

If I’m understanding Master Transpose, that functionality allows me to create the above, but with only one track.

Do you do an example of mstp in your first video Techno? I don’t remember…

still pretty new to Pyramid (Squarp) so haven’t explored Transpose tracks much but i think of it less about key change than if I have a phrase for single bar (4, 8 beats whatever) and then want to modulate it up a step or number of steps – the bassline to I Feel Love is kind of the classic chromatic escalation of a basic pattern. i assume with Transpose I can create the basic C-G-A# rhythm for 4 bars and then use Transpose to go through the progressions without having to reprogram subsequent bars at the steps up from C. but as you say, i’m more of a sequencer so i’m not (yet) seeing the value to making those changes live with a Transpose track

OK. So I’m dumb in this area. But learning. :slight_smile:

Between Technobear and the 1 minute clip from red means recording, I get it now.

I activate mstp for the project
then create the other tracks
set track(s) to mstp
then when playing, have track 16 selected
use keybed to change root note based on whatever the root and scale settings are for track 16 (in live mode, at least)

hmm, I’d not really think of it like that…
T16 is used for transposing all other tracks (that have MTSP set) by the number of semitones from C3.

these tracks will use the scale that is on the individual tracks, which could be the project scale (pScale) ,or might be set on an individual basis (e.g. using Scale FX)

note: the latest firmware fixed a bug where transposition was not taking into account pScale.

I think the issue some are having is a confusion between transposition and changing keys/scales…
its not the same thing.
sure if you turn off pScale, then transposing will change the scale you are using.

but. pScale on, then you are still fixed to that scale… in this case really you are changing modes.

if you really want to transpose to a new root/scale (e.g. move from C Major to D Minor), then not only would have to transpose, but you would also want to use Scale FX , so that can you alter the scale of the track.
(again this slightly depends upon what you are trying to achieve musically)

how to use in practice…

sure, for live performance you might want to ‘play’ the transposition track.

but if you are building a song, then you probably want to sequence T16, so you put a pattern where (eg) the first note of the track transposed to the new transposition…
you could of course then included these pattern changes in a ‘song/section’

and as above you may want to be automating the scale fx, if you really want to be transposing to a new scale, and need notes to be quantised to that new scale.

1 Like