Exploring Chords, Scales and Transpose on the Hapax

Exploring Chords, Scales and Transpose on the Squarp Hapax - YouTube put together an explainer of some of the features of the Squarp Hapax, hope this helps y’all out! Let me know if you have any questions, or things you’d like to see demo’d on video!

6 Likes

thanks for this! it’s is a very good, practical breakdown of the several modes.

i guess, hearing the Transpose track modulate the basic CMaj triad you input (even after adding various FX), where does that get you that entering the same chord via Chord mode in Live gets you?

it seems more straightforward to me to just enter chord progressions directly without needing to eat Track 16 up for transposition that is no harder to enter Live or Step

1 Like

I think the examples were kept simple so it was obvious to hear whats going on.
of course, often you would be be transposing different chords.

so the main difference is other tracks (marked with pTSP) will also be transposed.
imagine, you had T1 playing chords, and T2 playing a bass line - using T16 as a master transpose track, mean you can transpose both tracks at once.

the other question is why use Transpose tracks vs Scale FX?
(this I kind of detailed a bit more in this post )

the main reason benefit of pTSP is doing it all in one track.
the main drawback as mentioned in the video, is you (currently?) cannot automate pScale.
this means effectively, pTSP is limited to modal transposition, rather than changing scales.

whereas, ScalerFX can be automated on a per pattern basis (both transpose and scale)
of course, downside is… you have to do it on every track individually.
(though, of course, this does mean you have a bit more flexibility too)

perhaps because I came from the pyramid, if I want note quantisation, Im prone to putting a scaler fx in the last fx slot on melodic tracks - its a more flexible approach, and you need it anyway if you are going to add any FX thats plays with notes values (e.g. harmonizer/randomizer)
but for sure pScale is getting going quickly.

will be interesting to see where this can go in the future :slight_smile:

3 Likes