Hapax & Osmose set up ideas

Hi ,
I’m about to get an Osmose (Expressive E)in a few days , I was just wondering if anyone had some guidance on how to go about setting it up with the Hapax ? - I’ve heard it has 2 usb ‘outs(?) - and that sounds confusing!
I generally record my midi events into the Hapax and then play back , so wanted to make sure I knew what was the best way to achieve that in my dawless set up.
Thanks in advance :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Atoman

Currently, there is indeed an issue where Hapax can reach the “keyboard part” of Osmose, but not the “synthesis engine” part.
What that means is you can use Osmose as a keyboard, and record MPE, but you cannot send this data back to Osmose using the existing USB connection.

This is something we are currently working on.

5 Likes

Such a shame, bought Hapax to sequence my Osmose, should have done some better reading on this first… :sleepy:

I resolved this issue by selling the Osmose - I like my Hapax too much. :wink:

1 Like

i just recorded some notes from my new Osmose into the MPE Sequencer of Hapax using Midi Din.

It records it but when i play it back it sounds different - i t looks like all the MPE modulation data is missing .

Is there anything i need to setup in a special way?

i think on my Osmose everything is setup correctly… routing the midi data to Ableton Live and back to Osmose (no matter if via DIN Midi or USB) works fine

so it seems Hapax is not correctly recording the MPE data correctly.

it seems it’s not recognizign channelpressure

It’s a known issue between the two pieces of hardware- tbh it’s the way the Osmose deals with data - splitting the Kybd mpe data from the Sound module ( Haken) data eg: USB 1 and 2 - Squarp are aware and are working on a fix as indicated earlier in the thread.

yes but i’m not intending to use USB… it seems it’s not even receiving the data from Osmose correctly - no matter if USB or Midi is the source.
Or do i have to use USB? To my understanding MPE is nothing else then 16 bundled midichannels and each note comes together with the related modulation in one particular channel. So it should work with a normal Midi Connection.

Let’s do some testing:

As a first test
i send MPE from Live via USB to Hapax , record it and play it back again (from Hapax) . Synth is Ableton Drift. The recording works pretty well.

Now lets try with Osmose via USB thru Ableton Live:
i record from Osmose USB1 a clip, play and record that clip to Hapax and play it from Hapax via Live to Osmose - that works.

third test: Osmose directly attached to Hapax:
i simply kept the previous recording and played it directly via Din-Midi to Osmose - it plays back correctly.
Via USB-Host it doesn’t work as Osmose expects the data on USB port 2, wich Hapax cannot access.
Now i record from Din-Midi from Osmose to Hapax and play it back via Din Midi
And out of the sudden this seems to work as well.
And now at a second try suddenly it stops working
This goes on now for some time… it works, it works not.
Now when i create a new blank Project and change the sequencer to MPE it already has some notes in.
Now i had a MPE related crash.

fourth test - playing Osmose thru Hapax via Din-Midi (local off on Osmose):

this works often not … especially with low pressure played notes. And this leads me back to my inital assumption that the Midi-per Channel-pressure is not correctly recognized.

After some more testing i realized that a similar issue happens thru USB and Ableton Live… some keys are simply not played back and Live and Osmose need to be retstarted. So it could be an Osmose issue as well.

As this is way to weird to discuss it here, I’m adding all my findings to the ticket
and I also just filed a ticket to Expressive-E including a video.

my solution for now: use the Cirklon :sweat_smile:
works perfectly

I think i found the reason for the Problems.

Sometimes it randomly plays back (or records) all Note Data on Channel 1 wich is not working correctly for MPE .

If i send this not working Hapax-Data thru a Midi-Processor and remap all Ch01 Data to Ch02 it suddenly sounds correct on the Osmose.

The problem gets even worse when i have overlapping Notes, wich should be on different Channels , but they are all played on Ch01, wich results in a mess.

So this seems to be a bug with Hapax. If restart Hapax and try the same thing again it suddenly works, until it breaks again.

What randomly also happens that it plays back the Data on Ch15/16 wich is not working for Osmose/Haken Dsp.

A feasable solution could be - as Ableton Live offers - to have an option to limit the channel range for output MPE data. So in this case 2-14 would work.

Yeah the Hapax does dynamic channel allocation for MPE I think, which is useful for the scenario where you overdub more MPE notes etc onto an existing MPE track. But its certainly true that for certain synths that only accept a limited channel range (eg the Osmose and also the Sequential synths that support MPE and only use channels 2-7 for MPE notes) it would be useful to have options in Hapax to limit the MPE channel range.

None of what I’ve just said relates to channel 1, which should not be used for MPE notes at all, only for global messages. So that will be a bug.

1 Like

Yes I expect that happens because the Osmose USB provides two MIDI interfaces, and its the second MIDI interface which can receive notes to its synth engine. Will your fix involve allowing more than one USB virtual MIDI interface per USB connection?

mrcc from conductive labs arrived today, was hoping to reroute the usb midi data to usb midi port 2 but so far no success (mrcc apparantly can select one out of 4 virtual midi in ports, but wil allways output on port 1 ass well). No succes using din also, but needs some further testing as I did get some notes back with expression, but only monophonic, chords become a mess).

BTW Found this thread btw on Deluge forum where some succes appears to be made with mpe channel ranges indead.