Interesting pairings - what are you using?

ooh, let me just talk about hapax + osmose (given its a squarp forum!)

so first off, after some initial teething problems,
I have got Osmose working with Hapax both over din and usb, and as far as I can tell works absolutely fine…

(btw: @Thibault_Squarp not being able to select other usb ports means you cannot use Osmose with Hapax directly, due to need to access the second usb port)

Hapax is still a bit hit n’ miss for me, for MPE generally… the issue is a simple one.
without per note editing, its basically just record/playback…
so I get little above doing audio. AND as the Osmose is not multi-timbral , I can’t switch voice during playback.
so frankly, audio is just more flexible.

now in, total fairness, Ive used mpe (and its forerunner) for years, and even with daws that supported per note editing (cubase was the first by years :wink: ) , I frankly never found a lot of use for it.
there is simply too much ‘data’ to be manually edit, even if it is slick

really for MPE recording, we are going to need daws/sequencers to have some very specific tools (in the same way as audio?) to make it worth doing.
e.g. the most common ‘mistake’ when you play expressive instruments, is a bit of over exuberance or ‘over gesturing’ in certain passages. going thru all notes looking for this is just too time consuming.
we need a tool, which would allow us to select ALL notes (in a region), and to perhaps compress and/or clip the expression…
so yeah, whilst per note editing IS a vital first step, really to be useful we need more.

of course, give the niche of MPE to date, this is perhaps a lot of ask of daw developers, who have other high priories.

anyway I do hope @squarpadmin add the per note editing support soon, as I think the Osmose is an important step for MPE, so would be good to see Hapax really lead the way for hardware sequencers and mpe.

2 Likes