HAPAX: First feedback

not at this time.
you would have to do this by ‘tracking’ midi ,the old fashioned way.
its not so bad, as you have a direct connection to your computer via USB.
and you can do multiple tracks at once.
(you could even do at a higher BPM do speed up the process !)

but, this could be raised as request to Squarp.
Ive seen a few asking about it already… so might be a popular request.

if you file a request, it would be good to be specific about how you plan to use it.

as its not entirely trivial as we have seen with the pyramid!

e.g.
a) not only do you need to export tracks, but you need to export patterns.
we have see with the pyramid, daw support for this is varied (to say the least, some its non existent)
b) do you ‘flatten’ the fx?
c) what do you do with per note parameters (chance, roll, math) which have no meaning in mixi

then… the reverse is true for import.

also b/c mean its impossible to export ->mangle with daw-> import , and get back to where you were.
midi simply does not have the ‘language’ to do this. (even midi 2.0, which there is no support for yet :wink: )

so Im sure it’d be possible to

2 Likes

Speeding up the BPM when MIDI tracking is a great tip & I’m surprise i never thought of that.
I’ll be sure to use this tip since currently I’m tracking old sketches that I’ve made on the MPC-2500 & the RS7000 into the Pyramid & Akai Force.

PS…cool Hapax video, yours was more detailed then the RMR vid which was still great.

Funny thing i noticed about the difference between the way US vs UK youtube’ers is UK ppl always seem apologetic about making long vids & consious about ‘walffling’…lol…that term made me luagh so hard the first time I heard it.
Where as Americans be like “hey this vid is gonna be long so…oh well”

Anyway dont be sorry for making long vids because I’m pretty sure that the type of ppl that buys Squarp instruments are built for it & may perfer it as long as the info useful.

1 Like

British people only have two emotions: Apologetic and Passive-Aggressive.

3 Likes

:wink:
Ok but what about Americans?

1 Like

Hi just want to say the hapax looks incredible and trying to figure out what I can sell to get one, hopefully not one of my kidneys. Couple of things I cant decipher from the manual, can you do note slide per step (the hermod had glide in the effects section but can’t see it here)? And can you turn on/off effects per step and change parameters (think I saw you can do it in the automation lane but not sure). Thanks in advance

1 Like

I’m not American, so couldn’t possibly comment…

Well Santa arrived.

First impressions - it is thick, and looks heavier than it is (good thing) and the buttons are much smaller than I expected, think I thought they’d be Circuit size or something, but once I was over that, the feel of them is much better than the Pyramid’s (which I never had issue with, for the record, just these are niiiice)

Also, I love pulling the protective screen off new stuff. And you get to do this twice on the Hapax. Result.

Lovely little quickstart manual as well. Very nice to see.

First thing I cannot work out, maybe @thetechnobear might know before I submit a feature suggestion 10 minutes after opening the box - is there a way to have the clock source set to be something (like USB for example) but then if that clock isn’t there, it default to the internal clock? The Pyramid did this, and most of the time I start off jamming without the computer on, then switch on my DAW when I want to record.

It looks like I need to change the clock source manually each time I do this. Is that right?

EDIT: forgot to say, second thing I tested, no USB hum from the CV outputs, which is a constant worry when you mix USB and non-MIDI connections. Squarp have very nicely isolated the USB port from what I can see/hear. Fantastic.

7 Likes

congratulations enjoy !

no, its explicit… which TBH, I prefer a lot !
I disliked this on the pyramid, since sometimes, i’d accidentally start the Pyramid (out of habit) rather than the master clock (say on the Octatrack) … flipping annoying :wink:
so I like the fact you press play, and nothing happens… and I go ‘oh… yeah, press play on X’ !

BUT perhaps they could add and ‘AUTO’ mode, where it used either internal clock or any other midi source if present? - so we can keep it explicit, but easy if you don’t want to flip things around. I can see that being useful.

Yeah, I did think of an ‘auto’ mode, or even maybe Shift+BPM button could switch between external and internal maybe? Would be quite nice. I’ll send the suggestion.

1 Like

I really hope they keep the numbers of hidden shortcuts down… this became a real problem for new users on the pyramid.
(and its nice that currently … all shortcuts are labelled on the pads!)

1 Like

Maybe shift+live+ctrl+escape could load up a game of Breakout?

3 Likes

Or flip it 90 degrees for a game of Tetris. :smiley:

3 Likes

I know that breakout thing was a joke but it would make an extremely cool lfo effect.

1 Like

First impressions from a Deluge user, after only 3 or so hours of “play” (on the 1.10 RC firmware):

So much is familiar and yet also different. Despite the visual overlap between the devices, the Hapax is surprisingly easy to understand. I expected there to be more adjustment time, and “unlearning” - but it’s fairly fluid so far. Some of that might be because I watched a lot of demos, sometimes more than once, in the months since I ordered it. But there’s no question in my mind that it’s very thoughtfully laid out.

LOVE the generator and symmetry algos. Put those together with the arp and project scale, it’s like instant ambient that holds together, and yet is not overly repetitive. On top of that, if you use snapshot, you can intermittently introduce more variation.

Also the play modes in the Pattern section are very cool. The way you can divide up a pattern and have Hapax play thought the divisions in different, yet musicial, ways is fun.

I have a lot more to learn though. I haven’t done anything more than looping so far. No “songs” - so it remains to be seen how I get along with that after a few years of building songs in the Deluge’s amazing arranger mode.

But I did try out dual projects, and it’s super fun to switch on the fly. I basically copied most of one project to another, changed a few things including the scale, very cool!

I also played with instrument definitions. It worked well, except for some CCs on the Digitone that use MSB and LSB, I don’t see a way to configure those for CCs (like you can for NRPNs). I may have to use NRPNs but I was hoping to use the less data-intensive CCs since I use MIDI DIN and I want to avoid saturating the channels.

But the whole idea that I can use templates to assign and automate settings right from Hapax is amazing. That’s not one of the Deluge’s strong suits.

3 Likes