Does Hapax listen to program change messages?

Hey Thibault, I’ve been tinkering in my studio and have learned a lot more about Hapax so I think I can ask this question more clearly. When I have the input and output of a channel set to a specific synth, with or without that instrument definition, the program change works beautifully from the Hapax to the Synth. I can comb through presets on the Hapax. But the incoming program changes from any external device do not affect the program change set on the channel listening to that input. So, not necessarily the active channel. Simply, it doesn’t work the other way around.

Effectively, I’m locked into working from the Hapax and ignoring my wall of instruments which becomes more of an issue with multiple people in the studio. For example, let’s say I’m sequencing drums on the Hapax, if a keyboardist is playing another instrument, they would usually scan the keyboard to find a good starting point. Maybe tweak the sound and save to a user bank for example so that the sound is saved. How are we supposed to save these changes to the Hapax project? Any change to the PC on the Hapax will change the preset on the external device and completely break the flow of anyone using an instrument other than the Hapax.

I’m still doing things like using the Hapax to record midi in my DAW, writing down the saved presets as names in the DAW channels, saving the Hapax project with the same name as the DAW project, etc. But I know I should be able to use the Hapax completely from music creation to performance as the mothership of my set up.

Am I doing something wrong in the settings or do I just need to make an official feature request somewhere? Are there other workflows that I’m missing that allow for the free flow between Hapax and external devices in a studio set up or that allow multiple people to jam freely?

The other option I see is to a prepare a “band” in the studio, meaning instruments are saved to specific settings allowing for sequencing and song creation in Hapax, and afterwards, without clients or others in the studio, I can sound design and find the right sounds for the song we have made and save those PC’s to the Hapax retroactively.

EDIT: Looks like there’s an updated answer in this thread and yes, PC’s do need to be saved manually. Sorry for the novel! Save synth patch number in project

1 Like