Diagnosing USB Host issues when connecting to the Expert SleepersFH-2

Prefacing this with that I am not sure if this is an issue with the HAPAX or the FH-2

For simplicity sake, I had been connecting my FH-2 to the HAPAX directly via the USB host connection on the HAPAX (so USB-C on the FH-2 to USB-A on the HAPAX). My FH-2 is set up with expanders to handle a number of midi channels (multiple monophonic converters, CC->CV, drum triggers, etc).
For the most part it has worked fine, but at a certain point, depending on the “load” of the USB midi connection, I start seeing/hearing dropped gates/triggers (i.e. stuck notes).
I was able to switch the FH-2 to use a standard DIN connection to the HAPAX instead, and that appears to have resolved the issue. I can work with this if needed, but I am hoping to root out the underlying problem.
I don’t think its a loopback issue, as looking at the midi monitor on the HAPAX, there was nothing incoming to it.
Anyone have thoughts/things to try? or anyone else experience this issue themselves?

1 Like

I am using it with FH-2 and a few expanders as well, but I set it up differently, USB-B from HAPAX to FH-2’s USB-A. I didn’t detect any issue with dropped messages.
Also (if I understood that correctly) MIDI via USB is supposed to have a much larger bandwidth than via DIN, so it does not seem that your problem comes from data overload.

FH2 was a great companion to the pyramid and seems to be an even better one to hapax. A s someone else mentioned with this particular setup it may be best to go out hapax device into FH2 USBa. It’s always worked well for me and it also gets midi into your eurorack setup for a disting or two. Not to mention your USBc is free to connect to a DAW or configure your FH2.