What's you'r favourite hardware/software

Oh cool, i would guess it would make it more suitable for sequencing external gear ? But if you have the pyramid i guess it’s superior overall ?

I have a Yamaha Montage as well, same, it can’t compete with the Pyramid.
Only 8 scene (SEQ), it’s impossible to edit a note. The GUI is awful.

Both MC-707 and Montage never gave me complete satisfaction as a sequencer

So that’s the reason why I bought a Pyramid to rules them all.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense! I’m really happy i got the Pyramid!

Wow that looks really nice - reminds me of my old JV1080 I had and sold many years ago.

1 Like

Yeah I’m really excited to get it! :+1: Should keep me busy for some time! :joy:

2 Likes

My setup (as shown at the beach this week and yes, of course I’m on the Squarp forums while at the beach, I had both the official and unofficial manual pdfs and both are outdated now).

3 Korg Volcas: Drum, Sample, FM
Korg NTS-1 (fun! Can’t wait to learn some C and write some custom patches)
Behringer Xenyx mixer (runs on 2 9v batteries)
PedalTrain tour case (this is hardware, right?)
5 battery packs (to run the Pyramid and Korgs).

I love the Volcas but their sequencers are really good enough for my needs wants. I looked at a lot of gear and the pyramid may be the only thing anywhere near my price range that does what I’m looking for.

There are a few spots where I still have to push buttons and twist knobs on the Korgs (editing user patch params on the NTS-1, loading kits on the Drum) and other places where I still twist knobs because it’s fun, but I absolutely love being able to fully sequence long songs without the limits of Volca pattern chaining/song modes, even if that means tossing away a couple months of weird hacky workarounds I learned on the Volcas before giving up and buying the Pyramid.

I do some long drone things with the FM and pattern chaining was useless for that. Not sure why they would release a pattern chaining functionality that cuts off ringing notes when you change to a new pattern. The Pyramid solves this. The Pyramid also solves the way the Korgs (and especially the NTS-1) reuse knobs.

I had given up and started using Logic to sequence the Volcas but I really don’t want to do that live. Believe it or not, the sequencing (especially CC messages) makes more sense to me on the Pyramid than in Logic. So as far as software goes, I’m only using Logic for recording now and it’s just a simple live stereo track.

3 Likes

I don’t yet have any hardware to pair my Pyramid with… I’m taking a lot of time to pour over available options to try to decide what will work best within my budget and what can take the best advantage of all of the pyramid’s features… I did however switch my DAW at roughly the same time I purchased the Pyramid… So I am learning both at the same time…

I bought REAPER and that… has been such a breath of fresh air. I won’t prattle on endlessly here about it but if anybody is interested in my thoughts on the software I wrote an article and posted it to my bands Patreon. It’s a public post because it’s not “art” as such… A friend of Death

1 Like

Nice setup, looks really neat in that case!

Yes i hear you regarding making sense software vs hardware. I have a lot easier to when i have hardware to tinker with. :slight_smile: :yum:

1 Like

Interesting so you use the Pyramid with software instruments or how/what do you use it at the time?

I don’t really use a DAW, yet I own Studio One 4.5 Pro, Ableton Live 10 std, FL studio, Reason 11, and Renoise. :rofl:

I do find Reason 11 to be most enjoyable to use, mostly because of the included instruments and UI. Renoise is of course very different and isn’t really comparable.

Yes, I am using it with REAPER to control VSTs and Audio Unit plugins… I also have a usb to midi cable so I can have up to 32 tracks controlled by the pyramid but I find it’s more of an academic exercise…

I kind of do a lot of things backwards… I find my software education has informed me of what I am going to be leaning towards when I can budget it… I love the two osc plus sub sound so I am trying to decide what I think the best option out of those might be… Watched a recent video where Paul Hartnoll of Orbital spoke about the Novation Bass Station 2… and that’s a huge recommendation for me.

Yeah… Trackers are different beasts altogether… Try as I might I’ve never been able to get in to the workflow.

1 Like

My setup has changed a little since my first post. :slight_smile:

Hardware:

• Analog Heat MK II
  • Strymon BigSky
  • Blackbox
  • Integra-7
  • Kodamo EssenceFM
  • Polyend Tracker
  • Blokas MIDI HUB
  • Iconnectivity mioXL
  • MIDI Fighter 3D
  • CME Air Key 37
  • TC M350

Software

• Ableton Live 10 Standard
  • Studio One Pro
  • Reason 11 Intro
  • FL Studio
  • Renoise
1 Like

How are you liking the 3D? They are fun little units arent they? I’m really intrigued by the Analog Heat… Almost decided I want one of those on the master out…

Well initially i was really put off by the lack of mapping outside a DAW. But after playing on it, i was totally sold. Man it’s such a great instrument, even for me who is a novice and not really into finger drumming. After talking with DJTT I got some information that they will add more mapping options to the MF 3D and MF 64, the MFT already has some custom mapping available.

Unlike the Launchpad X which i never played on, i only used to control my Pyramid and other hardware with the custom profiles.

Will replace it with a MIDI Fighter Twister or a Faderfox.

The Analog Heat MK II is such a good box, i really like it, even for subtle stuff it just makes everything better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hrmm… not really sure what you mean about the mapping… I know compared to the OG launchpad and Automap the MF Utility is way easier to work with and seems way less limited (except for the ability to press alphanumeric keyboard keys) but it’s likely a workflow and setup thing I’m not privy to… Ohhhhh!.. I think I know what you mean now… sort of… Though, the twister just generally has more functionality to it… an entire drum sequencer layer…

You know what another master channel effects box I’m really lusting after? Erica Synths Zen Delay made in cooperation with Ninjatune… which is one of my all time favorite labels…

1 Like

What i mean (and what i assumed) is that there is no way to map a button to a CC/note or specific midi channel.

The MF 3D has the note and CC commands fixed and the midi channel is set globally, not even assignable to a bank etc.

Some mapping will be added in a firmware/software update in the future.

Yeah the Erica Synths Zen Delay looks really nice! Though i lust more for their DB-01… which i will eventually get… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, yeah… with some of the features they’ve needed to set options hardcoded to different channels like I think the rotational CCs on one channel and the lights on the other channel, and I know on the twister 1 channel is specifically for the drum sequencer and another is for light feedback and I’ve had to do a couple of work arounds… and banks on the 3D aren’t really actual banks but note spans. Yes… more of that stuff would be really welcome. Glad to hear it’s still being worked on… I was kind of irritated when Ean basically ghosted on his website for a couple of years… Good to know development is still proceeding regardless.

I’ve sort of been on the fence with the DB-01… It’s a strong contender… but then I’m like… well… I already have a sequencer… One of the other routes I am extremely interested in going in is to dedicate my cv outs to a modular bassline setup with their wavetable module and their black vco… and a rample sitting at the end… When I used VCV rack I was absolutely in love with the software ports of those modules.

1 Like