What samplers are you using?

sort of same idea for me shepard… but more of a workflow thing why i bought the pyramid.
I also like to use the octatrack as a dedicated sampler.
Switching between the sample and midi function inside the octatrack is ok but having it always within reach on the pyramid is more fun if u ask me :slight_smile:

Something nice and affordable compared to other stuff here, if you don’t mind it hogging 10 midi tracks, the Volca Sample is super powerful for drum sequencing (and some other stuff), and has a very cool, retro-sampler sound due to lower sample rate (31250 hz, 16-bit) and a warm onboard analog EQ. I use it for most of my drums, and I really like how straightforward it is- it’s also got pretty good midi implementation, cc’s for every parameter of each sound, which is the tradeoff for requiring 10 channels. Only things you can’t cc are the reverb, master volume, and analog EQ.

One other drawback to mention is that the samples do not respond to velocity by default - however, it’s really easy to map velocity to the proper CC using midi FX and then you’re good to go.

Overall it has some limitations, but in my opinion limitations can actually help inspire creativity in many cases. Also, that price is really hard to beat.

2 Likes

Pulled my old e5000 ultra out the other day. It still boots, yay! I found a replacement encoder (I dropped my unit onto it’s encoder, sad day) and have found where to get 128MB 72pin EDO simms (2x64MB), but I’m have trouble finding card readers for it. I’ve found scsi ssd drop-in kit but not the card readers. Where’d you get your’s from?

Hi, I bought it from a guy on ebay: https://www.ebay.ch/itm/E-MU-EMU-E6400-SCSI-CF-RW-Card-reader-writer-E64K-Hot-Swap-internal-2-card-Ultra/132575421968?hash=item1ede1c6610:g:MTQAAOSw--1Wsk5J

Not really cheap but its prepared to fit in the sampler (Cable lengths).

What I also did: I replaced the old fan. Now the sampler ist almost completely silent.

cheers

2 Likes

heres one for the e5000:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCSI-CF-Card-reader-writer-E-MU-EMU-E5000-E5K-SCSI-Hot-Swap-internal-2-bay-/131719006254

1 Like

I love the EIII and Emax II, they have such wonderful filters. But there’s no way I would ever travel with them.
For touring and mobile work I rely on the Octatrack and the BitBox.

3 Likes

There is this solution that I used for my E-MU ESI 4000: SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator. A little more expensive than floppy / USB emulators but better and more reliable. The firmware of the emulator is regularly updated by the author (http://hxc2001.free.fr) and is very configurable. I bought it ready for use at the official dealer (https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=27). SD card support It’s better than CF card => cheaper and marketed everywhere!

1 Like

I got one from here:

http://store.inertialcomputing.com/default.asp
V5 of this http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD#Purchase

(For a yamaha A3000, guess you need to check if it works with your EMU)

Apparently scsi2sd cards are best for compatibility. Pre-sales and aftercare was really good. Which was helpful because it was a nightmare to set up.

1 Like

I use Yamaha SU10, Elektron Octatrack, Digitakt, Volca Sample, I also have electribe sampler but don’t really use it.

There re leaks around about a new sampler coming.
Voices say its a 16 parts with dedicated stereo outputs.
And that its suited for both drums and notes.
voices say, but we may probably wait at least 6 months before to know something consistent.

So someone else can check up with me :stuck_out_tongue:

@Shepard how do you see the sequence managing comparing the mpc1000 ( when was working good ) and Pyramid?

cheers

@JimBrackpool

I totally see what you say!!
I had the E2S too… I hated for the limitation of not having synth and sampler in one…
I also hated its sequencers, boring as fuck… so much I was getting headaches everyday…
… (the pyramid make tired compared to a DAW that can keep my eyes on for one day without no issues ) BUT . :wink:

and most of all I hate its easy to “crash the sound” problems…

but I can just imagine what you can with it… I am jelous of something I don’t like hahahahaha

Ultimately I think the workflow on the Squarp is more straightforward, but if you’re used to the MPC1000 there’s going to be some frustration at first. You’ll probably miss the MPC’s Song Mode where you string a bunch of sequences together. The Sequence mode on the Squarp works differently and is based on mute states of patterns. In the long run the Squarp is more flexible.

Really the only MPC trick that I miss is the ability to have a track solo’d and then one by one unmute the other tracks rather than have everything come back on. It’s minor and there are workarounds, but the MPC has that solo/unsolo option which is brilliant.

1 Like

@JimBrackpool
I see

I didn’t feel the immediacy on my MPC Live as I did when I had the Pyramid, so I just sold it on eBay and pulled the trigger for another Pyramid. Yay. Now the question is… what samplers should I be looking at? This thread is a bit old, so I’d like to know what people are using in 2020… the top of my list is the 1010Music Blackbox, but I’m also thinking Digitakt (I’ve got a Model:Samples, but 6 sounds at one time isn’t enough for me when making Jungle with vocals and fx).

Thoughts?

Hi @alfiedotwtf,

For the background, I just got a Blackbox and I test a friend Digitakt for a couple of days during holidays.

Here my take:

• The Blackbox is way simpler and intuitive that the Digitakt.
  • The sample management and recording is straight forward on the Blackbox (on the Digitakt you have to load them per project).
  • More output on the Blackbox.
  • Blackbox run out of a power pack.
  • Blackbox have Granular.
  • Blackbox support Stereo samples, Digitakt doesn’t.
  • Blackbox is 100e cheaper.
  • Blackbox have 16 audio channel, Digitakt only 8 (however, you can have different samples on the same channel, just not playing at the same time).
  • Digitakt sequencer is way more advance and allow all kind of cool trick.
  • Effects on the Digitakt are better (sound better and have more parameters).

Overall, if I had to buy a groovebox, I would have bought the Digitakt but as a Pyramid companion I preferred the Blackbox.

I don’t thing there a wrong choice here, both are great machines.

2 Likes

Man I wish the blackbox existed before I got the live. The live was so promising but the workflow was such junk, I cannot believe people enjoy the MPC workflow at all.

I still have my pyramid, maybe next christmas the blackbox is the gift to myself :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Yep, I think the Blackbox is a shoe-in!

1 Like

I have an MPC1k with JJOS, and as feature laden as it is, I have just never been able to get anything resembling a flow out of the damn thing. It’s just not friendly to PLAY on. That’s in large part why I got the pyramid in the first place. I’m considering getting a Blackbox, but for how I prefer to work, I’ll probably just get a second pyramid, and blow the dust off of my E4 for now. If I need drum pads, I can just hook up my QuNeo to the Pyramid.

I got the MPC 2500 & 1000 both with jjos but I only use the them for sampling & making sample programs to be triggered from the pyramid sequencer that has 32 patterns or what I like to call them “track variations” per track which is waaaay more powerful then the older MPCs sequencer which has to be stopped in order to copy & move tracks.

No matter what just know the strength & weakness of your gear & find the best way to use it with your work flow.

Sometime you just need to change your gear - sometimes you need to change how think of using you gear.

Peace

1 Like