What does 100% in the Random Effect equal?

I would much prefer the value to be semitones… but it isn’t, so what does 100% mean? Is it an octave?

1 Like

when applied to pitch, Id assume the full note range (so 10 octaves)

given it can also be used for velocity - it cannot be expressed in semitones.

1 Like

I’ve been really curious about this as well. Similar to the amount of voltage for a modulation track going from 0 to 127.

I played around with it using an ear test and seemed to see that at 10% up (with down at 0%) with an input note of C, I would hear random notes going as high as F# on plaits. This doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. I like the idea of it being the octave range, but I’m not sensing it is.

I really wish there could be some sort of actual documentation on what this percentage was supposed to represent… or at least having more control over it than 10% increments. I think the idea of the random effect is a lot more useful than the randomizer (I like the sense of being truly random rather than recording a random sequence), but the randomizer just has a lot more control over what you’re doing, so I’m going to stick with that for the time being.

It’s a lot more than 10% , but you have to bare in mind both hermod and plaits will clip at 5v (and -5v when doing down)
So to hear the rang you’ll have to be sending in low note - say C-2

I also get the feeling it’s quantised to semitones , I suspect this might mean that the hermod is working on midi ‘like’ values, which then get convert to cv - does anyone know if this is correct?

1 Like

Let’s ask them as we all agree the manual doesn’t provide the specifics we’re looking for. @squarpadmin

True though maybe the unit of value can change based on the parameter being adjusted… right now it’s kinda wrong.