What do you use the TRIG track run mode for?

the manual says about the TRIG track run mode:

If the track is active in the next sequence, it will continue to play just as in FREE run mode.

when or how would you need this behavior or how could you utilize this?

From the manual: TRIG ( icon displayed under TR): track plays once at the beginning of the sequence and does not loop. The track is simply triggered and stops when it reaches its end.

One would use TRIG as a “oneshot” pattern, so something you want to be played only once. Also fun to trigger a TRIG pattern live.

It’s good for sending one-off CC messages sequences. I use it to control a looper pedal. The looper has MIDI control but no MIDI sync. The Pyramid starts and then stops the recording, making the loop perfectly aligned with the tempo. Can also be used for dubbing over an already running loop.

What would be a really nice feature for this use case is the ability to send specific CCs when a track goes “in” and when it goes “out”, TRIG mode or not. Seeing that track enabled on the Pyramid would tell you that feature X is enabled (or “running”). This would also be really cool for controlling effects, external sequences (sending Play/Stop to beatboxes). Maybe pressing Double-Stop Panic would disable any such configured track and force the immediate sending of the associated “out” CCs.

Another use-case is having tracks (such as lead melody) cross sequence boundaries without the side-effects of FREE mode, that is.

I get how useful it is for it to play once, but why does it continue to play as if in FREE run mode when the track is active in the next sequence? When could I use such behavior?

Im under the impression that just means it will continue to play without restarting if you change Sequences and it is unmuted in both. YMMV

Lets back up.

Make sure you notice the “IF THE TRACK IS ACTIVE”.
Now look at the image from the manual.
Track 1 is active on all 4 sequences. Lenght of the pattern is 12 bars. So on playthru, it will function same as FREE mode, because it does not reach its end in a sequence and its progress will be carried to the sequence because it is active on all sequences.

You can clearly see the difference with track 4. Its lenght is smaller than the sequence lenght, meaning it will “mute” itself once it reaches the end.

yes I know that, my question is when or for what purpose would you make use of this behavior?

Let’s say you have a sequence of notes, vocal samples, and sounds that you have created which comprise the intro to a particular section of a set or group of sequences that form a jump off point. By launching that track as a one shot at the end of some other group of sequences you just played through, and are going through your outro of, and playing it into the next group of sequences, you have a very powerful tool for creating a foreshadowing and transition into that next idea.

This rather powerful feature enables ideas to overlap without the need for a second independent sequencer, instead of being relegated to ideas that must just start or stop discreetly.

1 Like