USB MIDI, DAWless, help!

I just want to do this, basically:

I tried using this USB hub, but I don’t think the USB 3.0 type B port is compatible with the Pyramid, I tried using a USB 2.0 Type A female to USB Mini adapter for having it go into the Pyramid’s USB port, but it didn’t allow it to power on. Either the adapter is bad, or the port doesn’t supply enough power (which is frustrating).

Tonight I’m going to try using the Insignia 7-port USB 2.0 hub, and again having to mess with adapters in order to get the USB micro -> USB mini connection.

But I’m wondering any of you know of a USB hub which allows me to achieve the depicted setup above.

I’m fairly sure that will not work because something-something USB Host vs something-something USB Device.

Pyramid needs a host to operate in this manner.

I think there are some class compliant MIDI Interfaces that may offer USB Hosting duties - I’d swear someone is using a something-something Mio for that.

In my rig I’m using a BomeBox for this duty. I wonder if the Blokas MIDIHub can accomplish this.

Of course, I’m probably wrong - in which case: apologies.
In good time someone smarter might chime in. :sunglasses:

Edit to Add: Some salient info in this thread -

1 Like

Can you explain how a Bomebox would integrate into my setup depicted above? Sorry, I understand that the Pyramid needs a USB host in front of it, but I’m unsure about how the Bomebox fits in with its I/O available. Feel free to scribble on the image I posted, I’m a visual person.

You will need to either create a midi chain or use a midi thru box/merger or a midi router of sorts (like the Bomebox)

In your case since the pyramid has two midi outs you can use both and to two of you hardware synth and if one of them has a thru port you can use that for the last one.

If not a small thru box will solver your problem.

Depending on the size and complexity of the setup a midi router can be warranted. For your setup a mioXM would do nicely.

I’m for one is very happy with my mioXL and once i get my Pyramid delivered it will be connected to it.

I’m not a grafix guy so I’m not able to scribble. sorry.

A BomeBox would be overkill for your application - it’s a full MIDI Event Processor and Router. But if you think you can use its features (it gives you massive control over MIDI Data and routing, including conditional routing), then it might be a thing.

I’m not sure what scope a Mio device would use.

But the part of the USB Hub that would plug into a computer? That part would get plugged into a BomeBox. Then you’d actually have to configure the routing on the Box, but you can do that with a cell phone or tablet.

Just because if I don’t put this caveat in here I’d feel guilty: If you wanted to script, you’d have to use MIDI Translator Pro.

Which again seems to me overkill for what you’re looking to do.
Also might require additional learning curve which may thrill or chill (probably not a plug and play option, in other words).

Point is: You need a host if you’re going to do this with USB.

1 Like

By the look of you’r images all your hardware synths seems to have DIN ports, so why do you need a USB HUB ?

USB host is only needed if you have have hardware synths/devices that lacks DIN ports.

I was a die hard old school DIN MIDI old fart yelling at clouds.

Now I adore USB MIDI. (After MANY issues to get it rolling at first, of course)
I support @grayxr’s vision - it’s very awesome.

I’m also a DSI/Sequential fan, so there’s that. :smiling_imp:

Options! We have options!
And this is very good

My point is that there is no need for any USB host or hub if he uses the DIN ports (given he has them of course ), a USB host is not needed unless he really wants to use USB over DIN, or only have USB MIDI devices.

Options are always good!

Appreciate it, but I’m trying to go the USB MIDI route, since all of my DSI gear has bi-directional USB MIDI.

To answer this question, I’m interested in going fully USB MIDI because it seems conceptually simpler, less cables involved, forward-thinking. Just seems cleaner.

Sorry, I’m a bit dense, I feel like I need this drawn out in crayon.

So it goes: Synthesizers -> USB Hub -> BomeBox

My question is, where does the Pyramid fit in? Since you mentioned that it’s actually a USB device vs. a USB host, does that mean that the Pyramid’s USB port gets plugged into the USB hub? Like:

Synthesizers, Pyramid -> USB Hub -> BomeBox

? Assuming that’s correct, then that must mean that the BomeBox must be configured to route all of the USB traffic present on the BomeBox to and from the Pyramid USB device?

While i can understand the less cables might be desired, USB isn’t really offering anything else than that.

Either way, to go USB only you need USB host and if the host only has one port, some of them can expand using a USB hub, that doest not mean you can connect any usb hub or get as many usb host ports in a daisy chain as you like. It very much depends on the host. mioXM for instance has 4 usb hosts ports, and can add an additional so it can get a total of 8 ports.In your case the with a modest amount of USB host with 4 ports would be enough.

Yes the pyramid needs to be connected to the host as well. Since you want only USB you will need a host that can route all the midi data and for routing you will most likely need an external device.

This is why a kenton box will be less hassle and less prone to issues for such a small setup rather straight forward setup.

The major point of a Bomebox is that it would be a hub for all midi devices both older and usbmidi.

As far as I can tell through my research, it could provide both power to the pyramid as well as usbmidi host services…

I believe the best routing to use for all of the Bomeboxes capabilities plus the pyramids capabilities would be

Synths > Bomebox > usb hub > Pyramid

The bomebox should be able to route Pyramids sequencing of midi and usb channels wherever you like… and translate it in to what you want the synth to do should pyramid not actually be sending that information itself.

You could run a usb cable to the pyramid alone… or use the hub just as power and run the midi cables from the pyramid through the bomebox and then on in to your synths… lots of routing possibilities.

1 Like

How would I connect several synths to the BomeBox via USB without first going into a USB hub? The BomeBox only has one dedicated USB input (or two, if counting the one in the rear for supplying power, too), so a hub is needed in the device chain before going to the BomeBox, right?

Sorry, it would take someone smarter and more knowledgeable than I to explain the whys, etc.

The USB Hub needs a Host and it looks to the host to determine what to do with the data that’s going thru it. It’s not like a, say, power strip where you plug one end into the wall and all the outlets have the same output (power).

If you go with a BomeBox, it connects to the USB-B type port on the USB Hub and then will recognise all the devices connected to the Hub. From within the configuration page for the BomeBox you will be able to see Prophet 6, Tempest, etc. My Prophet12 shows up as Prophet12. Easy peasy!

Here’s an image I did - sorry it’s so bad.
The GREY lines/arrows are just showing you which connector end is on which side of that BomeBox connection.

Now - others will have to pipe up with what other ways you can route this stuff. I’m under the impression the Mio might be able to do it, but you’d need a computer to make the routes. The BomeBox you can do it with a cell phone or a tablet.

Again: the BomeBox is great for much more complex routing, logic functions, etc, so it might be overkill.

I wonder if a list of how to do this with USB and the different devices and a general ‘how to’ would be a good thing for a FAQ type item. Hrmmm

3 Likes

The bomebox can accept a hub… As far as I know… if you connect the hub to the Bomebox and plug both the pyramid and your synths in to that hub… it should just work…

The point is you would be routing the usb midi into the bomebox… because… the pyramid… just isn’t a host device.

1 Like

Sorry, Correction here:

EDIT: Better because of formatting:

SynthBoxRouting

Heck, technically that’s in error too.

I think this might be more ‘correct’…?

a better synth route

2 Likes

yes, that.

Note: the micro USB connection on the BomeBox is for power only - it doesn’t do data.

Ezmyrelda’s flow chart is in error - see below.

Indeed!