Understanding the arpeggiator

Hi. The idea to put the arpeggiator as a part into an effect-chain is nice. I have two problems with the arp though:

1. Turn the arp on and off requires to select the track, enter the effect mode, click here, click there … It would be nice to have a kinda global arp or at least a quicker way to get access.

2. When I use the arp and record, the ‘arpeggiated’ notes would not be recorded. That’s a bummer!

You mean Hapax doesn’t populate the grid with each note value as its arpeggiating a chord? Does any arpeggiator work that way?

It would be nice to be able to record the midi output from a track to another track. This would allow you to for example record the notes played by the arpeggiator.

2 Likes

Used to do this in Ableton, then record the midi to Digitakt. It worked ~ 75% of the time, but other 25% would freeze the poor machine.

I think Squarp added a consolidation function on the Pyramid. Will probably happen to Hapax as well (I hope so). If so, it will allow you to print any of the effects as notes on the grid.

And maybe even (optionally?) print automation (for LFO and Envelope effects)

2 Likes

to answer point 1, it’s nice to use the ASSIGN function for the track and set one of the knobs to be Arpeggiator ON/OFF. Then it’s super easy to flick to the track and twist a knob to toggle it on and off. Assign other knobs to other arpeggiator parameters for extra hands-on fun and playability :slightly_smiling_face:

For point 2, you could always make a physical midi loop with a cable from a midi OUT port to a midi IN port and record the output to a new track?

3 Likes

To answer this, I first must try out any arpeggiator on the market, but that’s hard to do in a lifetime. At least the ones I know do. Roland MC 707, Arturia Keystep Pro … So well, probably yes.

I mean, what’s the point in not recording the arpeggiated output? You turn on the arp because you want the arp. I guess.

[quote=“Jimantronic, post:6, topic:9004, full:true”]
to answer point 1, it’s nice to use the ASSIGN function for the track and set one of the knobs to be Arpeggiator ON/OFF. Then it’s super easy to flick to the track and twist a knob to toggle it on and off. Assign other knobs to other arpeggiator parameters for extra hands-on fun and playability :slightly_smiling_face: [/quote]

Sounds good, I will try that.

For point 2, you could always make a physical midi loop with a cable from a midi OUT port to a midi IN port and record the output to a new track?

Is this a question or have you tried it?

It’s a suggestion of a way that may do what you want. I haven’t tried it specifically, but I know it works with other sequencers.

1 Like

I’m surprised the HAPAX doesn’t have the ability to record the arpeggiator. This works perfectly on the OXi one here. Having this is great and gives you the ability to edit after the fact and helps when transferring to a DAW. I consider this a big missed opportunity.

Pretty sure Squarp will add track consolidation and hopefully also internal track routing (so you can send the output of one track to another track, thus recording it)

2 Likes

I can only go by my experience with Pyramid (and PyraMIDI) but going by that, I’d say Consolidate Effect (or Algo?) is somewhere in Squarp’s prioritized list of features but I wouldn’t bet on internal track routing (but I would love it, especially if it allowed splitting and/or doubling).

I’m disappointed in myself for consolidating my arp tracks by recording to my DAW and then back to the Hapax instead of running a Hapax MIDI out into a Hapax MIDI in and keeping my DAWless bragging rights for the tracks [half kidding].

1 Like

Well, I’m relativly new to Hapax and just learned about the assign mode. I assigned one of the 8 encoders to ARP ON/OFF. That’s nice. But how do I access this function? Do I really have to press “2ND + fill” first? What’s the point? It’s even quicker to turn the arp on/off via effects-mode. At least this can be done with one hand.

1 Like

Yeah same here :slight_smile: I guess think of Assign like a performance mode. It’s an extra layer on top of the main modes, so you can be in Pattern mode for example, enable Assign and you can then change the patterns using the lower buttons and get whatever you set as your main performance controls for each track with the Assign layer. It’s a cool way to ‘play’ your song as a performance.
Assign is persistent across track changes, so you change which channel your focus is on with the track number button at the top and your Assign controls for each become available.

Yeah, but 2ND + fill? Who has hands big like this? Why not long press fill. Or something.

exactly , thats how I use it … though rarely

you can suggest this via the contact form , perhaps they can add as an alternative… though it’ll alway be 2nd+fill too, as its now printed on the buttons :wink:

that a said, as above I rarely use the assign encoders…
I prefer to instead use midi CC, and then use an external controller… this allows me to have many more external controls - a great way to extend the UI of the hapax for performance.

(I use an Electra One, so basically, I end up with templates that have a mix of things like hapax controls and synth controls that might be not so accessible)

1 Like

ah that’s good to hear, I’m on the list for an Electra One mk2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible to turn the arp on the active track on/off via external CC?

depending on how many patterns/tracks you need on the project, would it be easier to just create an arpeggiated pattern on one track and an un-arpeggiated pattern on a second track to make button switching between the two states nearly instantaneous?

2 Likes

Haven’t thought about it yet. Good point.