Trance gate effect? (Rhythmizer)

I’m looking to create a (midi) trance gate effect. I know I could just program it as automation, but isn’t it possible as an alternative to the arpeggiator?

i haven’t tried out the new Sidechain FX yet in 1.12 but could that possibly work as a kind of gate in the same way sidechain compression works on audio signals?

i’m not very familiar with trance, but i think i know what you’re talking about for ‘trance gate effect’ …i’d be curious to hear an example of the effect referenced.

one way i’ve found that works, at least with vocal samples is chopping them up on MPC and step programming the different parts – 1/16th notes in succession gives the same stutter gate effect.

What I mean is:

When for example playing sustained chord, the Hapax would then chop the sustained notes into separate notes in a rhythmical way, without messing with the pitch (like the Arp does). It would be nice if you could use the grid to change the way it chops the notes.

An example is how the trance gate works on the (old) plugin Vanguard by reFX (or its successor Vanguard2).

Anyway, as I think about it a bit more, I guess using automation is the way to go. I come to think about it: it allows you to draw the gate in the grid. It even works better as you can automate volume, so the envelopes don’t retrigger.

Isn´t “Roll” doing that, in some way…?
But i guess a real “Trance gate” dont “chop” the notes, it just affect the volume and dont retrigger the note.

When for example playing sustained chord, the Hapax would then chop the sustained notes into separate notes in a rhythmical way, without messing with the pitch

This is exactly what the Euclid FX does. It’s not really the same as a trance gate though, you need to gate the actual audio output of the synth to get it to work that way. What you could try is chaining a Euclid FX with an Env FX after it, and setting the Env to affect some volume/level/VCA type parameter on your synth. If you set the envelope settings to taste (probably no attack, quick decay, no sustain/release) each step of the Euclidean pattern that fires while you’re holding your chord will trigger the envelope, which will gate your output. Just gave it a spin myself, works pretty well.

Turn on all the bottom rows while holding down the 2ND button in CC7automation and release the 2ND button.
Then specify the grid on which you want the sound to sound.
Incidentally, the reverse procedure produces a clean saw.

1 Like

I know that automating cc7 (on most synths) will get you closer to a real trance gate.

However, some sort of “Rhythmizer” effect would still be great to turn single long notes into multiple rhythmic notes.

Would be great then to change this rhythm by using the grid to change note lengths, rests, velocity etc.