Tips on using pyramid for live performance

Hey guys and girls. Got the pyramid a week or two ago. Really liking it so far. My plan is to start performing live with the pyramid, rytm, octatrack and a couple of synths.

Do you guys have any tips on performing with the pyramid? I’m wondering if the 4 banks and 16 tracks per bank will be enough for my live performance. Has anyone ever had trouble with this?

How do you manage your liveset in the pyramid? I’m trying to find a good way to keep everything organized.

One thing I havent really found out yet is how to file manage everything correctly so that I don’t lose oversight.

Any tips you guys have I would love to hear!

Thanks

3 Likes

I use the pyramid to control 3 synths, 4 effects units, and an spd-sx for a live band type of performance. music style is electronic psychedelic pop kinda. We have it set up so each SEQ is a song in our set. We build the midi tracks against a recorded version of the song so everything lines up nicely. The pyramid is also triggering playback on the spd-sx. The pyramid is sending program changes to all effects units and synths, sequencing synth lines, automating effect parameters, and acting as a master clock. We have a dedicated SD with our current set. Our set surpassed the note limit so we had to break it up into 2 sessions. Be sure to name all tracks accurately, back up live sets, and organize in a way that makes you feel comfortable during performance. We are about to add in a second pyramid to control our lighting rig as well:)

2 Likes

Hey i’m struggeling with the same problem i would love to skip without interuption from one project to the the next so that i could proramm a whole life set ( thts what i actually bought it for) but now that seems not to be possible

I had hoped to do this as well, but it seems the best way to achieve this is to use two of them, loading a new project into one while performing with the other and transitioning back and forth between the two. You could even record some parts from one to the other while playing so that you’re doing a live remix in one while loading the next project. That is my eventual plan.

For now, I’m going to load my MPC1k with fairly solidified ideas and jump off points, then use the Pyramid to jump off with. I may also use my laptop to run standalone software instruments and VCV Rack. We’ll see. Regardless, the Pyramid is an ideas machine for me, and I’m still figuring out how to best utilize its current capabilities.

You folks know you can keep the clock running while you load new songs right? If you have other devices that do their own sequencing, they will keep going. I use this feature and a couple of additional techniques to do a live set without having to stop to load (unless I want to).

For me, for my drums I use the analog rytm and I sequence my drums inside it. When I’m gonna change songs, one thing i’ll do is just disable all the tracks but not stop the squarp. My drum machine will keep on playing, I’ll load the new song, and then when I’m ready I’ll press play. It works pretty well.

You can use this technique on any synth that has it’s own sequencing. You want to have a transition part? Just sequence on one of the synths, let it keep playing while you load. Easy peasy. So yea, contiguous sets with the pyramid are possible and I do them all the time.

There are a few other techniques you can use too - like write multiple songs in a single save file. I also do this. I’ve actually got a handful of song transition techniques now so I can mix things up a bit.

8 Likes

very good technique! thanks!

I use an MPC1k as my “backing sequencer”, if you will, with parts from tracks I’ve made that I feel are solid. I don’t even necessarily use all of them. If I bring out a drum machine, that too will have lots of patterns, along with at least one blank you so I can control it via the pyramid if I want to. With the MPC running, like vt100, I just leave the clock going, load another project, hit play, and the pyramid is in again. Thus, I can improvise and mangle parts as I so choose. In many cases, I’ll have duplicate parts in both machines.

Honestly, the toughest part is keeping it simple and not over-playing.

2 Likes

i like using Pyramid with other machines that have their own sequencing capabilities.
the idea is simple: MIDI is serial protocol, and MIDI ports still work at 31250 baud. the less they crowded with messages, the more accurate the timing. so, i partially offload sequencing jobs to other devices, and mainly use Pyramid where it shines — for stuff unavailable elsewhere.
my current rig is Roland MC-707 + DSI Tetra + Boss VF-1 + Pyramid. MC-707 sequences phrases internally, Pyramid’s port A connected to it is used for euclidean stuff and CC modulations. Tetra and Boss VF-1 are sequnced from port B (Tetra’s internal sequencers mainly are used for its parameter modulations) — VF-1 via Tetra’s MIDI Thru.

1 Like

Usb midi does not have this throughput limitation :slight_smile:
So what I do is use a midi hub connected via usb, then it can distribute to multiple midi din, so only the single connection has this limitation.
Note : clock and transport are prioritized over DIN.

They’ll always be some latency, but the above gives me results I’m happy with. Ymmv :wink:

That’s said using other (internal) sequencers alongside the pyramid is fun too - particularly for modulation where they might have better/different access to synth engine or might it’s just easier/more immediate.

2 Likes

that’s right. but for my rig it would require some USB host, e.g. extra Axoloti, and would probably involve adapting my patches to experimental branch with USB hub support…
my inner Occam told me to avoid it :slightly_smiling_face:

actually, i’m happy with my results too. just preventing known problems that may occur in some circumstances.