TIP - How to setup a "clock sync'd LFO" on the Expert Sleepers FH-1 using the Squarp Pyramid

Ok guys I am writing this in here mainly for my own personal reason as this has taken a full 4 nights of pain and suffering…

Goal is to assign port 8 on the Expert Sleepers FH-1 to a “clock sync’d” LFO -> the purpose of this is to provide an “in rack” clock that is linked precisely to the BPM of the Squarp Pyramid. This could be use to take sync for eurorack sequencers/LFO’s etc so that your Pyramid can be the master…

I wanted to use the same FH-1 rather that the Gate out on the pyramid in fear that the more direct gate out of the pyramid would differ in timing from the FH-1 USB midi based conversion to cv/gate.

In the pyramid
2nd Settings “MISC SETTINGS” -> USB “ON”
2nd Settings “MIDI OUT SETTINGS” - USB SYNC “SEND”
2nd Settings “MIDI OUT SETTINGS” - USB START/STOP “SEND”
2nd Settings “MIDI OUT SETTINGS” - SYNC STOP “OFF”

To set output port 8 to a LFO at 24PPQN clock;
Assign Encoder 1 to CC07 on MIDI Channel 1 and turn the encoder to “0”
Assign Encoder 2 to CC103 on MIDI Channel 5 and turn the encoder to “127” this will make the LFO a SQUARE WAVE
Assign Encoder 3 to CC88 on MIDI Channel 13 and turn the encoder to “1” this will set the midi clock divisor to 1.
Assign Encoder 4 to CC71 on MIDI Channel 3 at set to “64” this will set the clocked speed to 24PPQN

Then press stop on the pyramid and then play to start the lfo… (once you change the PPQN on the FH-1 you will need to restart the pyramid sequencer)

I hope this helps somone in the future… you can assign to another port e.g. if you had an expander you can set to port 8 on the expander by using the following;

To set output port 8 on the EXPANDER to a LFO at 24PPQN clock;
Assign Encoder 1 to CC15 on MIDI Channel 1 and turn the encoder to “0”
Assign Encoder 2 to CC111 on MIDI Channel 5 and turn the encoder to “127” this will make the LFO a SQUARE WAVE
Assign Encoder 3 to CC88 on MIDI Channel 13 and turn the encoder to “1” this will set the midi clock divisor to 1.
Assign Encoder 4 to CC79 on MIDI Channel 3 at set to “64” this will set the clocked speed to 24PPQN

Then press stop on the pyramid and then play to start the lfo… (once you change the PPQN on the FH-1 you will need to restart the pyramid sequencer)

I am going to look into the use of a “special purpose output” to enable reset… will update when i find it…

2 Likes

good thinking using the fh1 square lfo for clock. I’ve been doing this with my pyramid and faderhost for a few years now. besides keeping its timing as closely aligned as possible with other gate events it’s producing, you can get a full 0-10v or -10-10v range with the fh1/2 which lets you passively mult the clock around your system without worrying about losing too much voltage to trigger some modules that have higher thresholds

2 Likes

only thing i need to work out is how to get the LFO to stop once the squarp sequencer is not running…

Seems cool to have the clock all running from the same piece of kit… i am excited about it…

1 Like

you want to search for “Stop LFOs when clock stopped” in the fh1 manual. there’s a configuration option for that.

and also something in the Pyramid, I think, too, that determines whether it’ll stop sending clock when the sequencer is stopped.

2 Likes

thanks mate! just after I sent this message i found a post from os that said the same thing! thank you for replying with your wisdom!

2 Likes

For completeness To Stop LFOs when clock stopped; use CC90 on MIDI Channel 13 change value to “1”
When set to 1, causes tempo-synced LFOs to stop when the internal clock and external MIDI clock are stopped.

3 Likes

I try it and I fail. I can control Output 8 CV amount with CC07 Encoder, but nothing happen with Clock on output. FH-1 receive the clock (i can see on tempo leds) but Ouput 8 not send signal…

:thinking:

It´s Works! …with some minor problems. I have used different settings and values in some CC and now i have a sync squared LFO -3V to +5V that drive correctly O&C module.

Thanks @auxinelectro

1 Like