This hapax is frustrating

Fl historically doesn’t play well with hardware sequencers. Or with ,much else midi equipment unfortunately.

I’ve had better luck with live or reaper which is only 60 dollars.

1 Like

Well that’s what I was intending to do. Automate parameters. But it does not work with USB as you mentioned. I’m not using 5 pin at all.

As a hint, if the “View” menu of TextEdit you can select the option “Convert to text without format”, as normally TextEdit launches is rich text format which can be a problem for editing the definition files… I’ve done 3 or 4 on my Mac and it works great.

2 Likes

i can’t see that in the view tab (version 1.18) but I can “ make plain/rich txt “ under format tab , which is handy to know .
Shift , option and T for the shortcut
I’ve made a couple now , the first one I used from the sub forum gave me syntax errors , because it wasn’t ut-8 , someone here pointed me in the right direction, which solved the problem

a typo?.. or a leak? :slight_smile:

Text edit version, :grinning:

Damn… just my wishful thinking then :smiley:

FL might be tough to get this to work, but if you can get your hands on a free copy of Bitwig Studio (sometimes included with hardware), I have something like this working for a different hardware. I have Hapax going over USB to Bitwig, where I use Mystery Islands Music BloX to control Waldorf Blofeld Synth. I believe it’s the same setup as you have with Virus & the 3rd party VST plugin. To get this working in Bitwig:

1. Hapax - set to USB Ch 1
  2. In Bitwig, Open Settings, click Controllers, click Add Controller; Chose “MIDI Keyboard” as Product, and click “Add.” At this point, Hapax is ready to be a MIDI controller, which sends all CC information to any armed track.
  3. Add your plugin (in my case bloX), and make sure it’s connected to your instrument (bloX requires you to pick MIDI In / MIDI Out for the Blofeld, which is also USB MIDI connected for me). As long as the bloX track is armed/selected, you should be able to send any note/cc over and the plugin works.
  4. To have Hapax control the plugin always (if you press another track, the plugin track in Bitwig gets disarmed, you’d want to right click the red record button on the track, and under Monitoring select “On” and in the panel for the instrument track, where you see all the pretty colors, click on “All Ins” hover over Hapax, and select just the channel you want, or All Channels if it’s a multi-timbral instrument. In my case, using BloX, it is multi-timbral, so I chose "HAPAX - All Channels. In that same pane for the Instrument Track, below the pretty colors & “Active,” you also need to change Channel target from 1 to Same, this will make sure Channel Mapping works.

As a DAW, Bitwig’s awesome; in addition to automating what the plugin allows you to automate / expose, you can also add modulators, including MIDI CC. For Instance, I added some effects like Raum Reverb, and added a MIDI CC Modulator at the Track level. Set it’s CC to 119 (highest HAPAX allows), and mapped it to the BloX Envelope amount (for Blox, its CC73), and NI Raum High Cut. You can set how much or how little it impacts the parameter. So now, HAPAX with a single automation, is controlling two parameters.

I don’t have the Virus, but I can imagine if you could get your hands on Bitwig (which supports Mac & PC), you can probably do the same thing.

1 Like

i know this might not help you - but still:

Calm down! Seriously. Turn off Hapax for some days, then come back.

Have you ever contacted the support for your issues understanding the instrument definitions? I find those guys always very friendly and helpful.

I just tried creating an Instr. Def with the default macOs TextEditor… it works perfectly.
Also using USB Output and CC Defintion and Automation works perfectly.

Before you rant and shout around, maybe just ask about your particular problem.

1 Like

This + just work on 1 problem at a time.

@kfarrell70 Configure your Hapax in baby steps. Then spend some time enjoying making music using whatever it was you just solved. Only then try to resolve the next question.

You’ll find that more rewarding than stacking up 10 grievances.

My take on this thread is to follow conventions rather than bend expectations (ie- midi cable to the Virus, test definition files before attempting to properly use them).

4 Likes