Stupid Eurorack Questions

Well, it’s been a helluva road, but finally a case & power supply arrived today!

Still waiting on:

• Mixer (the supplier sent it to my billing address, which is in another country, so chances are I’m out of luck on ever seeing that) will have to order another one…from someone else, of course
  • Output module (but luckily the Rample has a volume knob. heh)

This thing is soooo much fun!
Course, I’m just noodling throwing a bunch of LFOs from Pyramid at it and using the stock samples. I’m not usually one for noisy, chaotic stuff as focus, but I’m having a blast with this.

Okay, since I cant’ leave well enough alone, will start on the script to interface with it the way I want to. Wish me luck - we’ll see how much CC data we can throw at this thing at once. Who wants to come along this ride? Should I work quietly by myself?

I’m not good at ‘quietly by myself’ since I’ve been isolated at home for almost 4 full months now. Ack!

2 Likes

so its kind of interesting…
Ive got the rample sitting next to my hermod in the rack.

but actually i tend to sequence it via midi (from pyramid)… theres a couple of reasons for this. the main is I want to leave the CV inputs for ‘additional’, and connected to this, is that with MIDI we get velocity ‘for free’… and yeah, we can modulate via cc too (i think for fast stuff though, id do this with the cv inputs)

that said, it is fun to just connect the rample to hermod directly and output gates from it, very quick workflow… esp. when you start using things like Euclid FX.

one ‘oddity’… which struck me immediately when i got the Rample.
I thought id be able to use the DIN -> TRS cable to connect Hermod (din)-> Rample (trs).

but the issue is the TRS DIN is female, and so DIN on Hermod is also female.
nothing wrong here, all adapter cables are F-F.
so im thinking of making up one so that i can have a short midi cable between hermod and Rample.

anyway, fun times… and yes, i find the midi on Rample extremely useful.
though, unlikely i will try swamping it with midi… not really my thing, i prefer slow evolving modulations :slight_smile:

This is my first CV device and I doubt I’ll go much further since I have MOAR than enough gear to do what I want to do. I just wanted a replacement for that ‘other’ sampler as noted months ago. heh heh (Okay, I think if I fill up this little lunchbox case, then I’ll be good. yeah. that’s it. will stop there. Yup. sure.)

My brain thinks in MIDI sometimes: not that bright still, very old, outused my function…and only 14bit. LOLOLOL

It’s only been 2 days but I haven’t been able to overwhelm the Rample with MIDI data. Will try testing some more today - only tried it with one Voice/SPx - each Note On Event is preceded by 9 bytes of CC data and I have not set any delays in how that data is shoved down the pipe at the Rample. Plus other Events cause data to head to the Rample (ModWheel selects Layer, CC’s to modify Bitcrush, Freeze, & Filter)

I haven’t experienced any issues or problems…yet. Except for saving settings. Still at the point of “I probably just misunderstand.”
Today I’ll probably try to send the same kind of data to all 4 Voices/SPx.

When I know where I can ‘break’ the OS, I know what duties the Rample will be better at. I think. I don’t know. I guess it’s an exercise in trying to discern what The Creators have planned for the device because using it for an unintended application tends to break with further OS updates in my experience.

We shall see.

:skull: