Step poly editing in a single row like in the Pyramid

Thanks for your comments Mark, but that’s not really what I’m trying to explain.

I’m just saying that notes outside the visualised octave are not visible in contrary of what happens with pyramid where I can see notes from different octaves on a single row.

I’ll try to make some screenshots to better illustrate my point.

This doesn’t seem to work for me. When I press second and turn the right encoder it doesn’t move the grid at all.

the pads are a reflection of the ‘view’ shown in the left display.

indeed, there is not the view as we have on the pyramid which shows ALL notes on a step.

(Im not sure how that would makes sense given we have multiple rows - but thats not too important really)

again, feel free to make suggestions to squarp on what you need, with a use-case, and Im sure they will look into it esp. if its a frequent request.

@Luke, are you in scale mode, that works a bit different… as it paged by intervals… i.e. root is always on the bottom.

Hey Luke, sorry, I meant press second and the up and down arrows.

Ah I see, thank you. This only works when not in scale mode though from what I can tell.

1 Like

Yes I think it is a waste of ‘real estate’ that when in pScale mode, one or more rows are simply disabled, while they could also just show the notes of the next octave.

Also, I think it would be much better if we would be able to use the most upper and left encoder to scroll up and down (1 note at a time) while in pScale mode. So the parametre should show the bottom row note, not the root note of the scale.
At the moment, that encoder is simply disabled when in pScale mode…

That would also allow to you to see a group of notes where some notes are just below the root note and some are just above the root note of the scale (which happens a lot). Currently you have to keep going up and down an octave…

I did send this as a feature request to Squarp as this is my biggest “issue” I have with my Hapax at the moment, which I hope they will change in a future firmware :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah, the pScale mode is suppose to make it easier since you can program by intervals.
and I can get that… and you’d break that if you let if ‘float’
but definitely, would be a nice option to turn it on/off (in same way as split bars is done)

(also as I mention elsewhere there are a couple of ‘limitations’ in pScale mode, that I think are just missing features)

but I often don’t use it this mode, I prefer to keep it in chromatic project and have ‘free movement’.
(e.g. 2nd+up moves one semi)
you can still set Live view pads to a scale… so you are inputting ‘scale’ notes.
so, I generally prefer this mode.

(that said, I wish we had the keyboard of something on the right display, to server as landmarks… just seeing lines I find very difficult to keep track off)

anyway, post your thoughts to Squarp, the more ideas they hear, the more they can reflect on how to best move forward.

1 Like

I totally agree, visualising steps of other octaves in the disabled row would be super useful and it’s only a visualization thing so not a big change.

Yeah the only reason I use chromatic instead of a scale is because I also want “free movement” but it would be so nice to have both :slight_smile:

Another thing I would really like is hold an exisiting note to take over all its parameters (like step length etc.). This is how most DAW’s work and also Deluge (I actually requested that feature back when I had a Deluge and they actually implemented it later :slight_smile: ), so I’m really used to that. Will request Squarp to do this as well :slight_smile:

Im not quite sure what you mean
… you mean to edit them…. It does that

Or
the ‘default’ to take parameters from step? It does that too
you can use this quickly to take one steps parameters and then make new steps with these

(remember: you can always reset to default by clicking relevant encoder. )

The only thing I think that is a gotcha initially is hold is always select, you cannot use hold to create a new note… as above, not sure that’s an easy one to change really. Personally I got used to it, but it was surprising initially

I’m not going to lie, cannot get my head around the chromatic keyboard. Does it make sense eventually?

absolutely…

however there is an important tip

if using as chromatic , make sure you set the JUMP= 5
this will make it isomorphic (with 4ths)
which means… once you learn to play any scale,
you can transpose that pattern to any root position.

so you only have to learn major, minor once… and can play in all keys :slight_smile:

(conversely, for a 7 note scales set you’ll want JUMP =3, this gives same 4th intervals as chromatic with jump=5)

so I rarely use scale mode, since once you’ve learnt a few scale patterns, you’re done.
you can shift the root, if you wish to have the LED on the root - but honestly, I prefer keeping it in C,
as you then learn where the notes are in relation to C…

4 Likes

I mean: if your current set note length is 1 (for entering new notes), then you select (hold) an existing note with a length of 2 steps, then release it again, the currently selected step length and other parameters would adapt to that note, thus any new notes would also become 2 steps long.

It does work like this if you hold a note and change a parameter, but not if you only hold it and release it without changing a parameter.

ah so overwrite existing note parameters with what you have as current …

but, you can do that currently, by just quickly double tapping the note - no?

so best of both worlds :slight_smile:

Hey, I just made this quick gimp image to illustrate the extra step mode that I was originally proposing in this thread.

This additional step mode would be like the mono edit step mode in the pyramid (that’s how I know how useful it is), except much better because it could display up to 8 bars of steps at the same time and also it has colors to differentiate the notes, chords could be white for example.

It would allow for a really good global view of long sequences and quickly select and modify steps. Using the same great selection gestures of the current poly step mode so for example you could really nicely use the arrows to copy full bars with two button presses. ( The current poly mode needs 3 button presses to copy full bars which is still pretty good but in that regarding this could be better)

Just to be clear this would be an additional step mode (Mono) so that it doesn’t change anything from the current existing modes so that it would end up having 4 modes (Poly, MPE, Drum, Mono)

In the images there is an example of how it could look, top one is a one bar pattern and bottom one is 4 bar pattern. I added the pads from the live view on the bottom but some people might not like mixed views and it could make it more confusing why there is a keyboard if step mode is selected.

Personally I think this type of view would be extremely useful with or without the keyboard on the bottom because you could still use note learn by momentarily going to live mode, with and external keyboard or with the main right knob.

Please note that this is mostly a different view that would still work pretty much the same as the current great poly edit just in a collapsed form. For example selecting by holding a range and pressing the left and right arrows to move the steps on time or up and down to transpose.

Wouldn’t this be a great step mode view?

2 Likes

Is there a way to select an entire column at once (including notes off the visible grid)?

column select is press two pads in different columns, and indeed select ALL notes visible or not.

to select a single column, just press two pads in same column.

note: to NOT select notes in column outside ‘visible’ range use ‘box select’ by pressing 2nd.

3 Likes

with the upper left encoder you can

1 Like

pro tip:
hold pad - then hold 2ND - from there on you don’t need to hold the pad anymore… very nice

Not when program scale is on.