Software/VST Sequencer Recommendation?

Hi all, I am very accustomed to Pyramid’s architecture, and how it structures/arranges midi sequences etc. Can anyone recommend quality software that has similar capabilities? I’m particularly attached to the flexible ways in which Pyramid handles polyrhythmic sequencing, but I’m also looking for just clean, high quality, well designed overall VST alternative to hardware.

Dont worry, I’m not looking to replace the Pyramid, just want to know and explore VST sequencing as well.

seq24 (windows/linux only afaik) or one of its forks might be worth looking into, but that’s a standalone program that strictly handles midi, which would have to be routed into some sort of VST host. it does polyrhythmic stuff no issue **[i am incorrect here, see edit], but cannot do any subdivisions of a bar (some forks might be able to but i have not checked), if you’re looking to do polymetric stuff. it’s fairly similar to the pyramid in the sense that it has 32 pages of 24 independent sequences that can run simultaneously, kind of like TRACK mode in the pyramid. it has a song arranger that i find is reminiscent of ol’ cubase on the atari.

**[edit: sorry, after further inspection it seems that seq24 handles different time signatures as polymeters, like changing the signature variable in pyramid’s misc settings - ie: the start of a single 4/4 measure and a single 5/8 measure are not always on the same beat, and all quarter notes are the same length regardless of signature. i still reccomend it, but it may not quite do what you’re looking for]

launching clips in ableton live’s session view also reminds me a bit of the pyramid in practice, less from an interface standpoint. it’s personally my favorite computer-based sequencer (that is not on an atari st). but live is paid software, bitwig also seems to to have something similar.

it is also possible to use the pyramid to sequence your computer, connecting it via usb and and routing a track to one of 16 USB midi channels. i personally haven’t tried it though because i tend to prefer keeping it all within the computer on the rare occasion i end up making anything with VST synths these days. could be worth trying through!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.