Sequencing blackbox sampler

Tried this morning but I cannot find a responsive way to sequencing the bb from the pyramid.
Anyone with the same combo?

1 Like

I have a black box and a squarp, whats the question?

I TRIED to lauch both the sequences and pads,writing a sequece on a track of the pyramid.
The result is sometimes the sequence or the pad start sometimes not,sometimes they are delayed.
It s the first time I try because I can live without it cause I can use the bb song mode and sequences in parallel with the pyramid.

Then I tried to use the track on the pyramid as start and stop for different sequences on the bb.
Let s say midi note 52 for the first sequence once for start the bb sequence once for stop.
But it doesnt work.

To be honest I haven’t tried this type of way myself, I see what you’re aiming for though,

Have you made sure that the midi channels aren’t conflicting?

There is a toggle feature for the clips in the blackbox

I tried not per pad but on the tools window where I put channel 7 the one I put on the track on pyramid out.

You mean the toggle for the pads?
If so I tried trigger,toggle and gate but nothing worked as expected.

I will get back to this asap, I have to do a store run and will hook up my squarp and blackbox and try these out
Maybe I’m not the best person for this considering I can’t get my squarp to clip launch in ableton :blush:

Also try looking at the pattern delay setting in squarp, that might be a solution

Yes I will

In order to fire seqs in Bbox you have to configure your TRACK in TRIG run mode
From pyramid manual
“● TRIG ( icon displayed under TR): track plays once at the beginning of the sequence and does not loop. The track is simply triggered and stops when it reaches its end.”
That way whenever you launch the track containing the corresponding midi notes of seqs, the seqs will either fire or stop.
So you have to use 2 tracks in order to play at the same time the pads separate.
In my opinion you don’t need Bbox sequences since you have the flexibility of Pyramid, with lots tracks and patterns.
I use only Bbox sequences to have a clue about the Song arrangement when I use it standalone without Pyramid. Or another use is to have 16 more sequences using the terminology of Pyramid if 32 are not enough(which is often true for me too)

I m not using the bb sequencer any longer.
Pyramid it s enough for sequencing.
Thanks

1 Like

resurrecting this thread for a specific Blackbox question I’m not finding the definitive answer to, as I try to run it via Pyramid (eventually Hapax)

when I have a beat or vocal loop sampled into BB in Clip mode, sending Sync out from Pyramid allows me to trigger the loop at whatever BPM Pyramid is set to; and if I ramp up or down on the BPM, Clip mode on BB always keeps the loop tempo matched to Pyramid. great, that’s awesome. BUT…

i’m not also finding a way to pitch up/down the loop in Clip mode that is independent of the Pyramid clock sync. that is, if you say the root note of the loop sample is C2, the pitch will always be C2 whether Pyramid is triggering it at 115 BPM or 130 BPM. for my use, that’s no bueno

i assumed if I just changed the root note of the BB pad on which the Clip loop resides, then the pitch would adjust accordingly. but as i understand BB from the manual, “root note” in this case only means what MIDI note value triggers the Clip from Pyramid, i.e., going up to D2 just means Pyramid will play the Clip from a D2 note instead of a C2 note on the BB MIDI channel. but since the pads themselves have fixed MIDI note values for triggering purposes, i don’t need to muck about with “root notes” in this way

am i misunderstanding how the Clip workflow actually works, or is pitch shifting of Clip samples (other than the minor few semitones up/down you can tweak a pad with) not something that BB actually does?

thanks for any experiences others might have in getting Pyramid and BB working together

Greetings

This is a very old thread, and the BlackBox has had several iterations of their OS, so the previous posters might not be involved nor have current info. I’ll try to answer what I can, but for best results you may want to start a new thread or IMO the better place for this query would be the BlackBox forums.

I do not use a BlackBox but I have the Bitbox Micro in my rig. The manual is not current, but the Clip Pitch can be modulated by external sources, including MIDI CC, which the Pyramid can send out. On the Bitbox micro, that’s a matter of selecting the Pad, and hitting [>] twice.

Note: this is using the latest OS from 1010Music.
Your mileage may vary.

Unfortunately, the Bitbox uses MIDI Learn, so I don’t have decent explanation of a workflow outside of cynical ranting, but I use the Pyramid encoders for these scenarios: Just Assign a MIDI CC that you want to use to an encoder temporarily, hit up the Blackbox to get to MIDI Learn mode for the parameter you wish to modulate, then twist the Pyramid encoder. Then you can take that same MIDI CC and sequence it, use MIDI LFOs on the Pyramid (although there are currently LFOs on the Blackbox, I think), etc.

Just remember that MIDI doesn’t care about what you’re doing - it’s just data: a channel, a CC number, and a value. What that value does on the other end is indicative of the device and programming of the downstream device and not a factor of the Pyramid.

Although I’m sure plenty of people here might use the Blackbox, I would suggest a slightly better place for this question would be the 1010Music Forums. And since this thread is old, I’m going to close it for now. Please feel free to start a new thread if you have specific questions on sending MIDI CC’s from the Pyramid or check the documentation on Assigning Encoders, or maybe even Step Mode: CC Messages.

i have asked in the 1010 Forums and on the FB group but nobody has replied yet, which is why i asked here as well. i’m not really talking about pitch modulation via CC but setting the root pitch of a Blackbox sample higher or lower in the first instance so that the sample is always pitched up (or down) from the get go, e.g., every drum and bass breakbeat since 1992

Ah, I see.
I can pitch Clips +/- 24 semitones on my Bitbox (edit: without MIDI CC’s or modulating in realtime)
It’s a shame the Blackbox doesn’t have that same option.
Good luck!