Sections vs Rows and Song mode

Done as well :slight_smile:

arranging a remix i’m working on in Song mode and trying to understand why two seemingly identical Sections are behaving differently when I play the Song. Track 6 has the patterns containing all the vocal samples I’m triggering on MPC One. Because of the 8 pattern limit per Hapax track, I have to make the two “verse” patterns extra long (21 bars) and use a one-bar “fill” pattern to transition into the verses – the vocals have to start on the 4-and beat of the fill leading into the longer verse. All the patterns are set to run Free, so any shorter 1 or 2 bar patterns on the other tracks (bass, 303, Juno arp, Digitone pads) can cycle through the 128 measure verse section:

the first verse section, this works as intended. the fill pattern leads into P3 which then starts running from the beginning and the vocals are timed up perfectly. 21 bars play through over the whole Section.

but when i attempt to repeat the same Fill —> Verse section arrangement further on, P4 on Track 6 never starts from beat one after the fill pattern (unless I set it to Re-Set, but then it will restart when the next section starts and before I need it to run the full 21 bars). running Song mode at 1 Bar Sync, you can see in this video that P4 starts running at 3/4 of the way through the pattern when it should start from the beginning

i’m hoping there’s something about Sync, or Free/Re-Set and how those affect Sections in Songs that’s causing the discrepancy in what should be identical sequences. or if it’s a bug, to identify it to the Squarp team. thanks for any insights on offer!

Not an expert, but I believe if you have your patterns set to Free there is little you can do to keep them in sync. That, and I have to ask if you’re using more than one project at a time?

just one project. i wouldn’t necessarily disagree about keeping Free patterns in Sync (not my preferred way of arranging on a sequencer, and having more patterns overall would keep me from having to consolidate into mega-patterns) except i know that it works here the first time, and can’t think of a firmware reason it shouldn’t work the second time.

the one-bar fill on Track 6 (to the best of my knowledge) should reset any Pattern on that Track that follows it to beat one – unless there’s something about Sync that I’m not understanding in causing this particular Pattern to not reset

Hmm. I may not have understood what you meant by “Sync”, because what I’m thinking of is the trigger mode that you can set for each individual pattern, (or the whole track I guess) and your choices are Free and Re-start. Maybe someone else here can shed some light on that.

As far as not having enough patterns, you actually get about 14 total per track if you count both projects, which can run simultaneously.

sure but the whole reason i bought Hapax was to be able to transition between two projects live so doubling up them for a single song doesn’t really get me where i need to be

the problem with Re-Start in my use case is any Sections shorter than your longest Pattern will reset that Pattern in Song mode, which i don’t actually want it to do here (Sync has to do with how many bars it will cycle through before syncing up the next change in Patterns)

Indeed. I see what you mean though. Forgive me if you mentioned this already, but what do you have for Restart Sync in the Misc settings? I had this problem with Pyramid quite a few times and never really figured out what the issue was. I just kept redoing tracks/patterns until I got the behavior I wanted.

not sure. will check (was going to start from square one in rebuilding the patterns anyway). thanks for the tip