Scrolling through samples has become so slow!

So when I turn the main encoder to scroll through the kits on Rample, I have to turn the encoder like 5-6 clicks for it to switch to the next kit - very annoying! Any idea what could be causing this, and is there perhaps an easy fix to it?

CreepyPants smugly says to himself, ā€œthatā€™s one click per kit, but Iā€™ll check just to make sure.ā€ā€¦but thenā€¦[insert dramatic music here]

I usually donā€™t control the kits via the encoders, opting for control via Pyramid. So I tested, and most kits were one click, but then some were 2-5 clicks, which would be super distracting for me if Iā€™m in the studio on a mission.

I donā€™t know if that has something to do with the kits themselves (as in ā€œdataā€) or the OS.

On yours, is every kit 5-6 clicks to scroll to the next?
Does anything else seem to act wonky?
I assume youā€™re on the latest OS.

Next time Iā€™ve a few moments for systems stuff I might try reformatting the SD Card and reinstalling the stock kits to see if that resolves the issue.

1 Like

It seems to depend on the files. But a lot of them take a lot of scrolls, yeah. Thanks for your reply!

I wonder if it has to do with how long it takes to load a kit?

I wonā€™t have time to test it in the near future, and chances are Iā€™ll forget before I have a chance to test it, but if you have an unused Bank, Iā€™d copy a bunch of small kits (one sample per SP) and a bunch of large kits (maybe loops that are sliced with layers also) and see if it slows down specifically on the large ones.

Iā€™d also test that if/when you get to a kit where the screen doesnā€™t change immediately after one click, maybe wait a few seconds to see if the screen catches upā€¦? Itā€™s a long shot, but wouldnā€™t require making new kits.

yes this is ā€˜normalā€™ - though I cannot say I really noticed it much, I guess it depends how much scrolling around you are doingā€¦ Im usually previewing as I turn, so not going thru the kits that quickly.

I think what is happening is its accessing the sdcard (perhaps to load parameters?) as you spin the encoder, and doesnā€™t update the display to the next kit until its loaded ā€¦ so if you spin the encoder faster, basically it ā€˜gets behindā€™ - so its a function of the sdcard, rather than the responding to the encoder clicks.

from memory, if you hold down the encoder whilst you turning, it seems to not do thisā€¦
Im guessing it only attempts to ā€˜loadā€™ the kit details when you release the encoder.

Id raise this with Squarp via the contact form, I donā€™t think its an ā€˜easy fixā€™ but it is perhaps something they could find tune a littleā€¦ e.g. only access the sdcard after you have stopped turning the encoder after (e.g) 500mS
(but I donā€™t know what they are doing at the moment or how the code is structured, so even that may not be ā€˜easyā€™)

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.