Sample packs suited for Rample?

Hi peeps! Just got my Rample, and been assembling kits for it from a bunch of Native Instruments Maschine samples I’ve got laying around. The cool thing about a few of the Maschine kits are that they are organized in kits, so that you’ll get like Tom Hit 1, Tom Hit 2 etc from the same drum, so to speak, so these are ideal for Rample (for using with the layers system).

Anyways - are there other sample packs out there that are known for arranging samples this way? I like to cross and match samples to make kits (and not use like “Amon Tobin Kit 2” or whatever), but it would be cool to have access to several versions of a sound to use with the layer system.

Anyone got any sample packs to recommend for this purpose? :slight_smile:

not sure… I think you’d probably have to rename/move things around a bit, rather than use ‘as-is’ - no?

since:
kits on the Rample are limited to 4 slots, but can have many layers - but this is interesting, since layer can be used for so many different things (variations or completely different hits)

also in slicer mode it could be possible to use as sample chains (not tried this yet!)

also we can now have stereo samples :slight_smile:

I did suggest a while back sharing sample packs for Rample (of course they need to be free of copyright!) but no response so far.

https://squarp.community/t/sample-packs-for-rample

I will say when I did the bobeats pack, once I got into it, it was pretty straightforward, even using if I had to resample them to 44.1k/16bit.
the tech part was quick, most of the effort was just deciding what to put together (as layers) and what to keep separate - as this determines what can be played together or not.

I have to say, in the past I’ve not really been into samplers - so Im really completely unorganised in this area - and so not got around to doing what Ive wanted, but do want to do some more - particularly some long form samples created from my own music/gear.

Which begs the questions (samplers in general, but particularly with the Rample)
How many people use use packs?
vs.
How many create their own samples?

if most are into the later, perhaps users could share tips about their workflows.

I’ll be happy to share some sample packs once I get up to speed. I use a Max 4 Live patch in Ableton Live called “Random Simpler”, which picks a random sample from a pool of samples (pretty much a ton of samples I have on my hard drive) - I do this on 4 channels, create a rhythm, and start randomizing the different channels, warping the samples until I have something I like. I then save these four samples as a “kit” (and upload it to Rample). I did something similar for the Erica Sampler, for creating sample chains, but I stupidly sold that a couple of months ago.

It would be quite handy to have a sample pool for Simpler Random to pick from that had many versions of the same sample though, as those kits sound way more “alive” and organic than just a bunch of different samples (although that can be cool too of course). The A0 kit in Rample is excellent for this, for instance, sounds really natural when it alternates between the different hits.

And yeah, you have to manually rename, of course, but so be it. :slight_smile:

Tip for renaming files if you’re on a Mac - use right/ctrl + click and select ‘rename files’. It’s surprisingly powerful and easy to use.

2 Likes

I’m looking for “weirder” stuff (found sound, voice, noise, acoustic instruments, etc.) and interested in trying out pretty much any source material. I’m also new to samplers (my Octatrack has been a fancy MIDI sequencer until recently) so I don’t have a deep sample library of my own to build from…

Perhaps at some point we could have a “community challenge” where each user has to build a beat using a kit made out of only field recordings or something.

The OT can be a brilliant tool to make ‘weirder stuff’ with simple cell phone recordings garnered from walks around cities, industrial areas, workshops, mechanics, animals, etc.

The rest is just file management.

Seriously: you can make amazing sounds on the OT with source material as simple as banging your fingers on a table. I forget the link, but there’s a brilliant YouTube video of a guy who walks around a forest (I think near his home) recording random sounds, loads them on the OT, and makes a killer beat with it.

I don’t do it, since I manipulate sounds I’ve already recorded or have purchased, and I do it in DAWs using plugins - and then slice them up for the Rample. However, I haven’t been paying attention to the smrt people doing it and I could use some serious discussion/how-to info on doing it correctly (or inspiration).

I’d be up for keeping this convo going.

I haven’t used the OT as a sampler much because I despise MIDI and I use CV for nearly everything. This is why I was excited to add Rample into my modular case (since I can avoid MIDI as much or as little as I like).

My plan is to use the OT as a “loop capture” tool for now with the audio material actually coming from the Rample (and a Morphagene).

sample mangling on the OT is native and MIDI nonspecific, no?

ha, funny you should mention this @nutritionalzero

I found this on Elektronauts the other day

lots of ideas for samples there, that could be used with the Rample directly, or you could mangle a bit on the Octatrack then bring back to Rample.

The idea Im working on at the moment is…
use the Octatrack to capture audio from the modular (and other sources),
mangle it a bit perhaps… perhaps then feed this into granular (Nebulae is my weapon of choice),
then record re-capture it on Octatrack again… save it, the transfer it to Rample for more ‘playback’ duty.

current discussions here, have also made me wonder about doing some slicing on the octatrack, and prepare a sample chain which we can use on the Rample with Slicer mode.

so lots of ideas for creating ‘fodder’ for the Rample.

important note: Octatrack is always stereo, so you’ll want to strip them back to mono… or use the new stereo feature of Rample.

1 Like

Business idea for Squarp… I would happily pay for more sample packs of the quality you get on the included SD card. Could be a good little secondary revenue stream!

2 Likes

Hey there, I also posted this on the r/modular page on Reddit, I created a folder of kits that I made, full of self recorded broken lightbulb filaments, staplers, washing machine elements, squeaking shoes, heavy bag, water splashes and wind buffeted microphone, etc, as well as one bank of the basic elements of my actual sonor kit. I have arranged them into what I think sound like nice kits, and put them all in a linked folder on google drive, I will continue adding to them as I make them, currently 7 multi layered kits in there. So if you grab them now, there will likely be a few more in a couple weeks, at least until I get tired of doing it, which seems unlikely. Having a ton of fun! Oh yeah, I chose the letter T Rample kit T0-T6 - Google Drive
Just drop the numbered T folders, individually from the drive folder, don’t drop the folder of folders in, it won’t read. Also, kits are easy to mix and match, or just omit the sounds that you don’t like, I put in many layers in there, so it could be pruned and still be dynamic.

3 Likes

I suggest you go on sikk sounds they provide high-quality free sound sample packs,
I hope you’ll like it,

Looking forward to trying this! :raised_hands:t2:

I’ve just purchased an Endorphines Running Order module to use to trigger my Rample, and noticed they have a collection of sample banks you can download for free…

https://www.endorphin.es/samples-library

Each bank contains 4 samples which are already set at 44.1 16bit mono so perfect for Rample.