Roland tr-909 internal or external seq

Hey! a question about the original Roland tr-909. Is there a difference in sound if you control an external sequencer and the accents depend on the velocity?

I don’t think you can use anything apart from the external sequencer on the original 909, unless you have a MIDI retrofit installed.

Pretty sure it only responds to Clock and Start/Stop commands.

I stand corrected! Not sure about velocity, though. Maybe the accent is its own key and you play them together?

mine understands midi start / stop and 2 notes for each instrument. I also want to understand if there is a difference in accents and velocities like in re-303 for example.

that’s why I want to figure out if there is a difference between an external and an internal sequencer.

The 909 has full midi velocity when driven externally, which offers “more” options than using the internal sequencer.
On the other hand, the internal sequencer will probably be slightly tighter.

I’ve been using the 909 with external midi the past few years,most of the time.
Just use what works best for you and don’t overthink or copy someone else!

1 Like

Keep in mind that the 909 is in “OMNI” mode by default, so it will receive all channels. To select a channel, I think you hold shuffle+a number key. If not, rtfm, muscle memory here :wink:

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed after 21 days. New replies are no longer allowed.