Rhythmic FX tips for CV instruments

Anyone got any cool tips for making interesting rhythmic patterns with the FX for CV instruments. Got a Polyend Poly 2 triggering my euro rack via the Pyramid.

Cheers! :metal:t2:

1 Like

No but as of a couple hours ago, I now own a CV instrument so I’m interested in hearing any tips :slight_smile:

1 Like

Am using Poly 2 to trigger Plaits, Rings & SWN (and on occasion the Moog modular stack). Each of the modules are triggered from Pyramid using their own set of tracks so they can be punched in and out when needed. On my recent patch it’s providing pitch to SWN and using Tides to morph thru its wavetable for some added ambient fill.

Pyramid runs master clock to Poly 2 and to SL Mk3 controller and few other synths. Poly 2 sends CV clock to 4ms clock divider module which proviides a variety of timing control to other modules.

In addition, Poly 2 receives arpeggios from NDLR when I want to punch in root notes changes, plus more. Things can get a little chaotic when the Pyramid & NDLR drive the rack at the same time. There’s probably a way the Pyramid can achieve similar functionality but I’m not very sophisticated (or am just too lazy) when it comes to learning advanced Pyramid features and automation that many of the smart folks here leverage.

1 Like

Yeah so not in your system. Cheers for the detailed setup.

Obviously you can send a LFO to the euro rack but I want to know if any of the FX are good for Mono or just mostly for Poly stuff.

you can probably get some ideas by searching for ‘generative’ on this forum.

I don’t think the Pyramid’s focus is in generative sequencing, more focused on traditional sequencing with a few FX for change, harmonies etc
 so its not ideal for this generative type stuff.
in particular:
a) its a bit midi focused, which in turn separates notes (and gates) separately from modulation (cc)
b) no internal modulation

that said, there are a few things you can do with the Pyramid on its own in this area:

1. FX
    LFO -> LFO : the pyramid will ‘mix’ LFO it they follow one another, so creating more interesting shapes
    obviously, we can also chain things like arps, chance, harmony, random - and then place (manual) modulation on their parameters
    (I like harmony -> arp -> chance - if I want to generate extra events and then ‘filter them out randomly’)

2. Loopback midi
    simple idea, you can feed midi output from the pyramid back into its own midi input using a midi din cable.
    (you’ll need a midi merge box if you need a controller on the midi din input)
    this loopback, allows you to ‘get around’ (b) above
    e.g. on one track have an LFO that sends a CC thats fed back into the pyramid which you can route in the mod matrix
    example : S&H LFO track 16 , send cc -> midi out/midi in -> mod matrix mapped to Euclid step on track 2
    there is a huge amount of ‘creativity’ that can be deployed here!

3. CV loopback
    dont neglect the CC io :slight_smile:
    this is is similar to the loopback idea, but addresses (a) , cv is just voltage.
    this means you can send modulation cv output of the pyramid, but then feed it back into the input and treat it as note input.

going beyond this you will see talk of intelligent routers/midi processors - example include bomebox/blokas midi hub. these can do more processing on midi and so give you more options.
these can be combined with the tricks above
e.g. something like midihub could convert midi note data into midi CC, which could then be ‘looped’ back into the pyramid to modulate parameters.

Ive had a midihub for a long while, its easy to program (gui like) and has 4 midi din in/out, so is a nice way to extend the pyramid
bomebox, I dont have , but researched, and would say its midi processing is more extensive, but its also more complex
 also its not got the IO of the midihub.

that said
 I will say personally, I find eurorack to be a better place to start ‘playing’ with gates and voltages, as its agnostic about what the voltage represents, so the tools are a bit more generic.
e.g. playing with things like clock dividers and logic tools is much more accessible. (imho)

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks @thetechnobear some cool stuff to think about. Never thought of feeding stuff back in!

Cheers :metal:t2:

This may not be the right thread for this, let me know if I should start a new one. I tried searching but “cv” is too short to be allowed as a search term.

I set up a Moog Werkstatt-01 over the weekend and tuned it to the Pyramid CV. I’m a little confused because the Werkstatt says to tune starting at the 0 volt note but the Pyramid has a setting for the 1 volt note. Is there a 0 volt note from the Pyramid CV?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.