Relationship between Euclidean and gates on track?

A “normal” euclidean generator, well, just generates gates/triggers. But in Hermod, the euclidean fx requires some gates to already be present on the track in order to get anything out post fx. But I have not yet figured out exactly what the relationship is, between gates on the track and what comes through the euclid. I have found that a “normal” euclidean behavior happens, when there is e.g. a pattern full of 16th or 8th notes.
But I would love to hear the actual definition of this relationship.
(And just to be clear, I am not speaking of the principle of euclidean patterns. I am well aware of how they work.)

Thanks

I believe it does an ‘and’ between the gates on the track and the gates euclidean fx generates.

so if you want it to act as a traditional euclid seq, you just place on long gate on the track.

Yes, place one long gate. Each gate resets the Euclidean sequence (I think) which can be useful in it’s own right as a way to have both types of sequencing available at the same time.

EDIT: I take that back, it looks like any gates on the sequence don’t reset the Euclidean pattern and instead just continue on from where it would have been. So no, gates act like a mute not a reset.

This seems like a missed opportunity as being able to restart (and therefore control) the Euclidean sequencer with gates would make it a lot more powerful. Muting gates can be done quite easily with a VCA. Restarting the sequence is pretty much impossible outside of Hermod. At the very least it could be an option within the Euclid menu (Gate = Restart / Continue).

as i said in my post, Im pretty sure from my testing the euclidean gate and the gate on the track are AND’d…
actually i find this behavior really interesting and fun, sure you could use a VCA to mute BUT that needs an additional module (vca) and also an extra track on hermod (if you want to program these mutes)