Recreate DivKid OCHD with Hermod?

Hello,

I was thinking of getting an OCHD module, but I realized I could maybe recreate it with the Hermod. Has anyone tried this? All 8 CV outs, all unsynced triangle LFOs, then using one of the CV inputs with an external signal to speed up or slow down overall rates (external attenuator), or even recreate the self-contained waveshaping possibilities of the OCHD by routing one of the LFOs back into overall rate via the CV in (controlling global rate or bpm in the Matrix, perhaps? – not sure from memory if this is doable).

I’ll get the chance to try this soon, for now it’s just in my head.

Has anyone tried something similar before?

Cheers

sure this is possible,

so for unsync’d you can just use matrix to modulate rate on each track.
remember value from CV in is absolute, so you need to use the offset in matrix to contain relative rates between tracks.

if you want sync, then in many ways this is easier… just set the rate of the lfo’s fixed, then you need to send in a clock pulse which you can vary to vary the rate.
this is pretty cool, though not so useful if you want to use the hermod for other things, where you want the BPM to remain static.

both are pretty quick to setup, as you can just setup one track then copy/paste it to others. then just adjust either the matrix offset or rate.

Im not sure you’ll get exactly the same as OchD , as divkid said he used very specific musical relationships between the lfo rates (which you might find hard to dial in) , but honestly for most use-cases this probably is not an issue.

but you have way more flexibility that Ochd, different waveshapes, sync’d or not, ability to alter phase relationships and ratios.

I do use the hermod quite often for lfos… though usually don’t have 8 tracks for it :wink:

another fun thing to do, is record in automation… then alter it with fx, or altering bpm (via clock)

1 Like

Perfect!

I was cautiously confident it could be done but this feedback really gives me the assurance I was looking for. I might have the chance to try this later today.

I’ll report back if I manage to get any unexpected result or come across some neat trick. Otherwise, it does seem pretty clear that – aside from the precise tuning/rates set on the OCHD – it should be reproduceable.

Thanks again and a wishing the technobear and everyone a fine weekend!

Cheers

1 Like

I’ve just given it a go, and seems to work fine for me :slight_smile:

I still want an Ochd though… I think mainly because the attraction of Ochd for me, is a bunch of LFOs in a very small footprint. (and I think I could do with more modulation sources)

1 Like

I’d like an OCHD as well but don’t have the space for it in my rack :confused:

But I did just had myself a little pseudo-OCHD jam. It works well, indeed! Set a different phase and attenuation for every channel, and voilá. Alas, can’t seem to reach the more extreme rates/cycles as the OCHD (difference between fastest and slowest LFO is not huge).

Also, the self-patching can’t really be replicated as far as I can tell. I had one Hermod input receiving a CV signal from my Quadratt, routed to RATE in the Matrix. Then I tried adding a second RATE modulation for self-patching the rate from the Hermod – it does kind of work but it doesn’t sum the signals it seems to me – the highest one overtakes the other and that’s the rate you get. Still cool, though. At the end I tried sending one of the LFO’s into the Quadratt and summing that signal with the original rate output. That seemed more faithfull to the OCHD but I have to do more testing.

Fun times nonetheless!

Cheers

1 Like

I like to re-use what I have as much as possible too, so definitely good to use hermod for this … prob is, I use it so much already for midi 2 cv.

self modulation , yeah Im not entirely surprised… hermod is using an mcu to process the signal so thats always going to create a bit of ‘latency’ ( dac → adc ) , whereas I believe ochd is analog, so ‘instant’…
however, with hermod, you don’t have to use triangles , you can use other shapes, and also even chain lfo’s to get other shapes, so really you don’t need to do that self-modulation ‘trick’ you’d use for ochd. also importantly, you can do something different for every track, rather than ochd, where it affects every output.

thats the thing, whenever you get inspired from another module, its often not the ‘same’ but you can enjoy those differences :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey!

I definitely agree with you about the differences. I did insist initially on recreating the OCHD as close as possible just as a little exercise to force me to understand the Hermod better and to test some of its limits. In this case it made me understand what I mentioned concerning self-patching (which I actually didn’t explain very well and might have been quite a bit off, though I’m still convinced you can’t mimic the OCHD in that regard).
However – in conjunction with external attenuverters --, I arrived at something pretty interesting with its own particular quirks, so I’m pretty happy. I have set one of the inputs on the Hermod to change LFO waveshape in the Matrix (attenuated so that not all change to the same waveshape at the same time) and that has led to some fun results.

I understand what you mean, btw. I like to keep 3 Hermod outs for my Acid Technology Chainsaw module (3x v/oct ins), so I’ve saved a separate project/mod with only 5 OCHD-style LFOs. I do have some more LFO’s here and there – Neutron LFO out, Marbles Y out, Clep Diaz, 2hp LFO, Eowave Zone BF, … – so sacrificing 3 channels won’t be that bad :slight_smile:

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.