Pyramid Wiring Configuration Advice

Do you need to have your laptop connected to it at all times or can you pre-configure it?

Those Mio-boxes operate standalone once configured, and multiple presets can be stored (and switched around without a computer)

Oh and they do indeed provide plenty of power via USB so you dont need a separate powered hub for that.

I’m assuming I wouldn’t if was running audio through Mixer or something and trying to be truly DAW-less, but I’m running audio through interface (18i20) to laptop - I love having it connected though because I can easily re-route MIDI via Auracle and don’t have to mess w/physical wires once everything’s feeding into Mio.

Yea - i feel you on not having a mixer - not much you can do about that without cold hard cash. But being super real, I find that dawless works better if you can work within a configuration, versus work with multiple configurations. Like the fact that you need to re-route midi while you’re playing/changing songs is a complexity - and clearly you’re paying for that in the design of your setup. Now maybe that’s really what you wanna do, and who am I to judge - but I find if you lean into the strengths of the devices you can really make your life easier. Like, do you really need to adjust midi routing all the time on the fly or is there a way you can find a single midi setup that works and remove that element of the laptop from your setup? If you can, it will certainly make your life easier.

For me - every time I come across a situation where I feel like wiring needs to change, I instead change my approach. In the beginning I remember I would literally do just that, unplug one thing and then plug it into something else - which I hate doing live (in my case it was an audio cable and so I’d mute the mixer, swap the cable so it wouldn’t pop). But just getting rid of that not only increased the lifespan of my devices (less wear and tear) it also gave me less stuff to work about while playing. If anything, it’s made my music better.

When it comes to midi, I think i’m sending data on like 18 channels or something to 12 hardware devices and I never have to alter my midi routing in the set. Sure, sometimes I gotta hook up to my pc and reprogram my midi hub - but I like to really separate the configuration from the runtime. So I configure and then I play, never at the same time.

Basically, whenever I find something really hard to do - I stop doing it. Trite sounding I’m sure, but I really choose my battles as to when I’m going to take on something complex in the configuration space.

But I mean I guess if you’re dead set on this setup - like I said above, who am I to judge - you just might have to fight more battles than you want with the gear.

@vt100 I don’t need to re-route my MIDI really ever, certainly not all the time, think you assumed that - and I never do it live, but if I ever want or need to it’s just a few clicks away. I look at how people have their studio set-up kind of like their “batting stance” - their approach and technique may be different - but in the end you’re trying to hit the ball, or in our case, make some music - everyone’s style for creating/composing is different. Was just letting @samuelaronoff know how I accomplished controlling all my synths with one controller w/Pyramid.

FWIW I never want my laptop out of the equation, DAW-less has never been something I’m after, my laptop is the most powerful piece of gear in my set-up - I love recording both MIDI and Audio into Logic as it opens up so many possibilities like adding plugin FX etc. - but I also can route the audio to my outboard FX, or now with the Pyramid (I freaking love it) MIDI FX, Euclidean Rhythms etc. are now an option for me too - I feel like for me how it’s set-up it’s the best of all worlds. But like we’ve said everyone’s set-up is different - and for me at least, ever evolving, especially with what gears coming in/out of my set-up. Appreciate the feedback though - I have so much to learn w/all things MIDI - cheers.

ah - i must have misinterpreted you. My bad.

A shame you’re not dawless though :wink:

1 Like

some day i’ll unlock that dark art and pepper you with way too many questions, :joy:

Thank you! I will try to compress all of this information.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.