Pyramid MK3 when recording in live mode, the timing ain't right

I can’t record anything on live mode because it always seems the tempo is off.

It’s not like I’m recording something really hard on the keyboard, I’m just trying to record a simple chord patterns.

When I’m playing it, everything sounds natural, but when I play it back on pyramid, there is always something out of tempo.

My current set up is, Roland A49 midi keyboard Midi out - Pyramid Midi In, Pyramid Midi out A - Roland D-05 Midi In.

I don’t think there should be serious latency in this type of set up.

I don’t know if my rhythm is just horrible or something is wrong with the pyramid.
But note that I’m aware of this issue and just playing something really simple with the metronome to figure out what is wrong and there is always something out of tempo…

what do I do ?

Do you have quantize turned on?
Can you step record the same chord progression and if so does it voice properly?
What do you mean by "out of tempo "? Does something play at a different tempo or are notes/chords off beat? If off beat, is it a series of notes/chords or is it one or a few instances while everything else happens in proper/ expected sync?

Setting: polyrhythmic or polymetric mode?

I assume you are talking one track, and its out of tempo with metronome?

at first, ensure the quantisation is OFF… this should mean what is recorded sounds like you played it, even if its out of time with the metro.

have a look to see if the recorded note have an offset on them or not… this’ll give you an idea of how ‘out of time’ things are…
(also iirc, playing early is affected much more by quantisation, that playing slightly late)

How do I know that ?

No I have the quantize off. Yes the step record seems ok I think.

What I mean by “out of tempo” is, my recording sounds like it stuttered.

"Does something play at a different tempo or are notes/chords off beat? If off beat, is it a series of notes/chords or is it one or a few instances while everything else happens in proper/ expected sync? "

I’m playing a single track and its not playing at different tempo but more off beat. And its few instances while everything seems ok I think.

Yes, it’s a single track without the quantize.

But how do I see offset setting in the live mode ? Isn’t offset setting only available in step mode ?

Can you explain “stuttered”?
Can you send the same data to a different synth to see if it yields the same response?
Can you look at ther MIDI monitor and see if there’s anything strange looking?
Does this happen with all projects, and by extension i mean does it happen with a brand new project?
Is the quantize off when you record it?
Are you sending CC data or pgm changes or is it all note events?
Can you post a project this happens in?
When playing back a recording, does it do tbis everytime that part loops around or does it happen in different places?

Sorry for the delay, I found out that I was using the “Looper” function and seems like I was pressing the record button little late after I recorded.I’m not sure though because I tried to press the record button at the right time after I record to make the perfect loop but every shot was missing…and ended up sounding weird.

But the timing seems fine when I just select the bar length and live record on top without using the live looper.

I’ll try what you suggested and if I could get the symptoms once again, I’ll try to record it and post it here.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like