Purchasing opinions

Hi all.
I’ve been shopping around for my first dedicated sequencer. I have assorted drum machines, synths, samplers etc with varying degrees of built in sequencing, but I’d like one brain to rule them all.
Based on features etc, the pyramid mk3 had been at the top of my list. But of course now it’s been discontinued, and I find myself in a bit of a conundrum.

So my question to y’all is do you think a Pyramid would be a wise purchase in October of 2023? Does it feel “mature” enough as a device that I can work with it as it is now?
For a little background on me, I do sort of prog rocky stuff, using synths, drum machines, samples etc but also live guitars, vocals, bass, etc. so being able to do song sections (or chained sequences) is important.
I record into Logic but like to stay dawless as much as possible, for jamming, writing, etc.
I own a 1010 blackbox as my main sampler, and a sonic potions/Erica lxr-02 as my main drum machine, along with a few more modest machines. For synths, I have a sequential sixtrack, a Roland SH-4D, and a Dreadbox Typhon. Plus some smaller Volca stuff I use occasionally.

The feature set and price point of the Pyramid are really appealing, but of course I’m nervous given recent events. Other alternatives would be the oxi one, which is at about my max budget, or maybe an MPC one+, which I’d use as a sequencer and also for sampling. I’m not especially drawn to elektron stuff but I supposed I’m open to being convinced to look at a digitakt perhaps. But again, I have a blackbox so really im only interested in samplers that come built into phenomenal sequencers. The Hapax is too expensive and physically large for me.
So that’s my story. I thank you in advance and I really look forward to any insights, opinions, anecdotes, etc that you can offer.
Thanks!

The pyramid is a solid sequencer, but it is also being deprecated. Thats not to say it will suddenly fall apart or get worse, it just will remain how it is now. The advantage is you should be able to find a used one for a very reasonable price.

If you want something more future-proof, Hapax is really the intended replacement of the Pyramid. There are differences in the feature set, but it is equally, if not more powerful than the pyramid.

1 Like

Yeah it depends on what you like. With the Pyramid, you know exactly what you’ll get because it’s no longer getting updates. Sometimes that’s a blessing.

1 Like

You can find the Pyramid limitations here, as reported by users over the years, and the workarounds in many cases. If the limitations aren’t dealbreakers for you, I say go for it. The pros and cons are well known by now, no surprises, and imo Pyramid is the best sampler at this price range. Pyramid pairs great with Blackbox.

1 Like

Pyramid is still a damned good sequencer, in my opinion. And the second hand market price of 400-450 Europounds is incredibly good value for money for what you get. Again, in my opinion.

1 Like

i was thinking of picking up a mk3 for when my mk1 eventually dies. it is a great sequencer, it really is.

1 Like

i tried to sell my mk3 when Hapax came out but no takers at the time. now i’ll probably never give it up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.