Problem: Pyramid skips first step in sequence

has the first note, been quantised to play on the last note of the sequence?
I could see this perhaps happening if the offset is < -50%… so played really early?
(Ive seen Ableton do something similar to this)

or is it just not played? perhaps it has a negative offset?

also wouldn’t you want humanise as a large value?
does 0% essentially mean, you are fixing exactly to the grid, so if you are way off, then its going to go to the last step (*) , where as high values mean don’t quantise quite so much :wink:

If you can figure this out, then you could make a bug report to squarp via the contact form

(*) bare in mind, the pyramid doesn’t really know that the note you are playing is a really early first note, or you playing the last note late.

In my case it skips the first note of the sequence even if I manually put the note perfectly on grid. And both Humanize on 0% (just to troubleshoot). It still misses the first note as long as Quantize is Activated. As soon as Quantize is deactivated, it plays the note on sequence change.

I’ll report it as a bug and link to this thread.

I think the way Quantize/Humanize works might interact badly with ‘seq perform’ set to ‘instant’ here.

From the way Pyramid behaves, I think how it works is: when quantizer is active, the note player runs a little bit ahead of the actual play position and maintains a buffer of notes that will play very soon. This allows it to shift notes forward and backward in time. But in order to do this correctly when pattern changes are involved, the player needs to know the next pattern ahead of time. When there is a pattern change in ‘instant’ mode, to avoid playing wrong notes, the track player needs to empty this quantizer buffer. This could cause skipping of the note.

1 Like

Sounds like a very likely behaviour under the hood. But it basically makes the Quantize function unsuable for those of us who uses the instant pattern change as of today…
There should be some kind of option to make sure that the first note is always played in instant mode. Perhaps just a simple checkbox. I’m fine with manually nudging the first note if it means I can use the quantize fx.